Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Powertran Cortex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that's going to make construction a lot easier
    If he had advertised an almost complete kit. he might have got a lot more money for it, I don't think I could get the TI chips now ( unless he has more kits!), which is why I did not bid on the PCB's.
    Although if anyone is DESPERATE, they should enter tms9995 into the ebay search function, and they will see a company offering this chip for about 140, which seems a bit excessive to me.
    Best of luck with your build.

I did buy a pair of tms9900 cpu's, it might be interesting to benchmark the cortex and a machine built with a 9900 and 16 bit memory to see which is faster.

Comment

Indeed, thought it's missing the TMS9909 floppy disc controller and i will want to put floppy drives on it.

I did have a quick look around the net before i bought the boards and it did seem that most of the chips are available with reasonably sensible prices from the US or China etc.
      I also work in electronics and might be able to pull in a favour from some of our suppliers to locate other parts.
      But now i've got the complete kit thats not quite such a problem.

I see there was a piggy back board that solved the problem of the rare TMS9909 FDC chips, need to look into that more.
      The TMS9902 serial port chip seems to have been used in the TI99/4A and i should be able to get one of those quite cheap.

Has anybody got the missing Cortex user group mags ?

My intention is to creat a web page(s) covering the build if people are interested.

Thanks all,

Jim

Comment

Just bought 2 off TMS9902's on Ebay for a tenner.
        See other sellers offering the same part for 150 !!!

Jim

Comment

Chips.

Managed to get hold of a couple of TMX9909 FDC (pre production TMS9909) chips so that will save messing around with the floppy daughter board.
          Also found the TMS9911 and 74LS612

Just got to wait for them to get here from various parts of the world.

Anybody else noticed that theres a IC14a (Nand gate) on the circuits but not trace of it on the board or parts list.
          I guess this was one of the late changes.
          I'll buzz out the bare board and see whats actually there instead, maybe they found a spare gate from another package.

Jim

Comment

There have been more bare boards listed on ebay
            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250879547778

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Hearne View Post
              Managed to get hold of a couple of TMX9909 FDC (pre production TMS9909) chips so that will save messing around with the floppy daughter board.
              Also found the TMS9911 and 74LS612

Just got to wait for them to get here from various parts of the world.

Anybody else noticed that theres a IC14a (Nand gate) on the circuits but not trace of it on the board or parts list.
              I guess this was one of the late changes.
              I'll buzz out the bare board and see whats actually there instead, maybe they found a spare gate from another package.

Jim
              Gotta say, Jim, you seem pretty resourceful! As I said before, good luck with the build and getting it all together.

Comment

Website now up...

Hi Guys,

After much encouragement in the early days, I went ahead and pushed for my goal to encapsulate everything on a dedicated website: powertrancortex.com. The site, as of tonight, is where I envisioned it to be.

I had two goals. Firstly, I wanted it to be easily accessible, rather than having to trawl through all these posts to find a links to the FTP site etc. Secondly, I was encouraged to extend the the existing material by adding all the disks I had in my possession along with tools to make use of them on a real Cortex.

It has taken more or less all my spare time in the last 8 months to do this but it's all now available. I went through close to 100 disks to consolidate them into clean 'release' disks so that they were uncluttered and usable. I developed utilities so that anyone who has a Cortex with a TMS9909 Disk Interface can make use of them (Jim Hearne, looks like you showed up at just the right time!). Alternatively, everything works with my Cortex Emulator (many changes since the one that's on the FTP site).

Please check it all out and give relevant feedback so that I can make corrections as needed.

Evidently, my wife has a very long list for me...

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by tms9995 View Post
                  Gotta say, Jim, you seem pretty resourceful! As I said before, good luck with the build and getting it all together.
                  Thanks.

You know what they say, Google is your friend

Jim

Comment

PCB Scans.

Hi All,
                    I've now scanned all the Cortex PCB's at 600dpi
                    They are on my web site here http://www.quantums.info/cortex/cort...s%20600dpi.zip
                    They are about 18 meg !
                    Please feel free to upload them to other sites and the ftp for backup purposes.

They aren't totally perfect as the boards were too big for the scanner so i had to scan in 2 halves and then join them together.
                    But they are fine for following track layouts.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by mnbvcxz View Post
                      I did buy a pair of tms9900 cpu's, it might be interesting to benchmark the cortex and a machine built with a 9900 and 16 bit memory to see which is faster.
                      The Cortex, with its TMS9995 processor, is significantly faster than the 9900 (~twice the 'power') because the 9995 does instruction prefetch.

Comment

There have been more bare boards listed on ebay
                        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250879547778
                        And a third set of boards has now been listed.
                        I got the second set - for a price cheaper than the first!

Jim, on the Cortex 2 parts you got, are there any markings on the key switches that indicate who they're manufactured by and what the part number is? I'd also be interested in who you've bought chips from so far - by private message if appropriate.

Comment

Some pictures of what i've just bought from the same guy selling the PCB's on Ebay.
                          Apart from a few missing TTL and RAM chips it's a complete basic Cortex 2 kit.
                          Who'd have thought a unbuilt kit would turn up after almost 30 years !
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]6512[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6513[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6514[/ATTACH]
                          Did you get any assembly instructions with the kit, Jim? The PSU PCBs he's sending out appear to be for the Cortex 2 and have been redesigned from the one in the ETI article, but the PCB doesn't have any component markings on it. It might be bigger to accomodate a heatsink for the two transistors that were previously bolted to the metal case?

Comment

Sorry Stuart,
                            I didn't spot there had been more replies to this thread till just now.

The 3rd set of boards are already more as i put a bid on them as a spare set

Most of the chips came from Ebay, the TMS9911 cost the most, probably a bit too much but as i'd got the rest i didn't want to wait around to see if one came up cheaper.
                            The TMX9909 i found through google on a web site from a guy in the UK with a list of chips for sale but they were the only 2 that the seller had i believe.
                            There was another web site (Mikes electric site i think) with some TMS9911's on but when i asked about them the seller couldn't find them, shame as they were a lot cheaper.
                            The TMS9902 came from China, they came as a pair but one was with the kit so i will probably have a spare one of these once everything is working.
                            The 74LS912 also came from Ebay, from the US i think.

I'll go back through all the emails and list the sources, probably Monday at work.
                            The kit is at work so i'll look at the switchs then as well.

The mainboard as far as i can tell is the same as the ETI board layout, i've not cross referenced the parts list yet, i've been slowly typing it into Excel and reformatting it, separating all the IC's and idetifying the various parts of the circuit so i can work out what extra TTL chips i need to find (mostly from the loft).
                            The current version of the parts list is here: www.quantums.info/cortex/Cortex Parts list.xls

I've not looked at the power supply at all, the kit i bought seemed to have had all the parts for the power supply pinched including the torroidal transformer so to start with i'm just going to use a small PC power supply.
                            The seller did mention he had found some assembly instructions but as i belivde they were just reprints of the ETI articles i said not to worry about them.
                            If the power supply boards are different maybe i can get him to scan them in.
                            I will check the other side of the power supply PCB i have, i know it was a single sided board but maybe it had silk screen on the other side i didn't notice.

I think that maybe the PCB revision is the small letter after the name marked on the PCB
                            I have:
                            Power supply: PSd
                            Keyboard: KBa
                            Mainboard: MBb

Jim

Comment

I bid on the third set of boards as well, as I want to build a machine from scratch to compare to the one I bought off eBay a couple of years ago (missing the floppy controller and E-BUS components). That way I can do some safe smoke testing. . .

On the HTF components, I have a dozen or so of the TMX9909s, a few hundred TMS9901s and TMS9902s, a couple of TMS9911s (no extras there), and a few dozen of the 74LS612s. I use a lot of TI components for other projects, so I tend to keep them on hand if I can get an OK price on them.

BTW, the component numbering on my board doesn't match the ETI numbering either--that change seems to have occurred relatively early in the production run.

I also have to put up a later ETI article I found on a video fix for the Cortex (from 1987).
                              Enter My Mind At Your Own Risk!

Comment

Hi Ksarul,
                                I would be very interested in the video fix so i can add it while assembling the boards.

Many thanks,

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X