Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Powertran Cortex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Stuart,
    This is where i bought the additional chips from.
    No comments on the prices please !, i didn't pay quite that much for the TMS9911.

TMX9909 http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/forsale.html (none left).
    TMS9902 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=220821398049
    TMS9911 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...m=150583219031
    74LS612 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...m=330538234440

No joy at all on the 72LS2001 but there seems doubt that they even existed.

I looked at the keyboard switchs and there is no identification on them at all.
    I had a quick look through RS and Farnell to see if i could spot anything that looks the same but i couldn't see any.
    I will take some close up pictures of them later if it will help.

Jim

Comment

5 bidders pushed the price up to 41.00, maybe someone could make a batch of ten boards to sell on ebay, updated to use 512KB static ram and other (comparatively) easy to obtain parts, and using a pic to convert the data from a standard PC keyboard to whatever data the cortex rom expects.

@Ksarul, I have only seen the TMS9995 in an ebay ad for 140, is it available for significantly less from the sources you use?

Comment

Originally posted by mnbvcxz View Post
        5 bidders pushed the price up to 41.00, maybe someone could make a batch of ten boards to sell on ebay, updated to use 512KB static ram and other (comparatively) easy to obtain parts, and using a pic to convert the data from a standard PC keyboard to whatever data the cortex rom expects.
        Makes me feel a bit better about the price i paid for the first set bought off ebay (before i found out he had more than one set).
        Has anybody managed to find out how he got all the Cortex bits, i did ask but got no reply.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by mnbvcxz View Post
          This has been suggested with most rare computer forums i'm on.
          But, at what point would you stop upgrading it ?
          You could put a complete Cortex into a logic array chip nowadays (has been done with BBC's etc).

There are projects to use a Pic to convert a PS/2 keyboard to a parallel interface using a PIC (or other micros) on the net, i've been meaning to build one for my Microtan 65.
          The parallel keyboard interface was quite common on early computers.

Jim

Comment

@mnbvcxz, I got the last 8 TMS9995 chips I bought for $7 each about a year ago. The source shows up on eBay every once in a while with various TMS99XX parts that he gets from other industrial sources as overstock. He had some TMS9995s up a couple of months ago for $5 each and a single buyer nabbed them all (5 of them, IIRC). Patience is key here, as he comes up with stuff pretty regularly. He goes by RJJLROS, and I've never had a problem with his product.

@Jim Hearne, I'll try and get a PDF of the video fix file up where you can grab it sometime this week.

The Cortex seller was somewhat surprised at the level of interest in them, due to the relative obscurity of the Cortex in general. There aren't a lot of us out there with systems, but it is definitely good to see that it is still alive! I'm just glad they ended up in the hands of folks who would build them and increase the population of surviving Cortices, instead of off in a rubbish bin somewhere.
            Enter My Mind At Your Own Risk!

Comment

Hi All,
              I've updated my revamped parts list here:
              http://www.quantums.info/cortex/Cortex Parts list.xls
              I've now added the rest of the keyboard parts and added extra columns to show the differences between the original ETI articles parts and the later kits.
              There are a lot of changes, especially on the rev B motherboard.
              Still work in progress.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Hearne View Post
                Has anybody managed to find out how he got all the Cortex bits, i did ask but got no reply.
                Pure conjecture but ... from the return address on the package, the company he works for does non-destructive testing, and has been around since 1985. I wonder if they were bought to be used with instrumentation, but got pushed to the back of a cupboard and have been there ever since?

Stuart.

Comment

I've put on my web site a PDF of the cortex schematics which i've separated from the copies of the Powertran build manual (anotated ETI articles) that were on the FTP site.
                  These seem to tie up with my rev B mainboard but not the power supply board.
                  I added R74 and R75 names to the cpu schematic but apart from that they are the same, just in a easier to reference format. (IMO)

http://www.quantums.info/cortex/Cort...cs-updated.pdf

Fitted the first components to my PCB's today, 80 odd ceramic decoupling capacitors.

I hopefully have a decent scan of the Issue of PCN that had the Cortex 2 review in it coming in the next day or 2.

Jim

Comment

I've dug out my collection of ETI's and started scanning them onto the PC.
                    About 20 mins per issue if you have a scanner with a sheet feeder and a Guillotine.
                    I've found my copy of the ETI Electronics digest that had reprints of the Cortex build in it.
                    It seems to have the updated Schematics and parts lists.
                    I've put just the Cortex pages here:
                    http://www.quantums.info/cortex/Cort...st version.pdf
                    If you want the whole magazine let me know.

I've almost 2 complete sets of ETI's from around 1982 to 1992, the full set i'm cutting in half and scanning.
                    Does anybody want the other set ?
                    Unfortunatly only one copy of the original Cortex issue.

Jim

Comment

I've now got a copy of some more Cortex 2 build documents, these include the new smaller power supply board layout and parts list.
                      Will scan and upload tonight.

Jim

Comment

Cortex 2 power supply and some general assembly instructions.
                        http://www.quantums.info/cortex/Cort...structions.pdf

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Hearne View Post
                          Cortex 2 power supply and some general assembly instructions.
                          http://www.quantums.info/cortex/Cort...structions.pdf
                          Excellent, thanks Jim.

I did enjoy a little typo I saw in the instructions: "A mistake at this pint can be very time consuming to rectify." A lesson to us all not to drink and solder I guess.

Stuart.

Comment

Cortex video fix.

Thanks to Ksarul pointing out which issue it was in.
                            I know have the Video fix article from the Feb 1986 issue of ETI

It's here:

http://www.quantums.info/cortex/Cort...I Feb 1986.pdf

Sorry about the light / dark bands in the backround, the scanner light has started objecting to scanning all my ETI's and is flickering.

Jim

Comment

E-Bus Floppy Disk (and other) Cards

Just pointing out the availability of E-bus floppy disk and other cards at bargain prices:

http://quarndon.co.uk/index.php?main...ex&cPath=54_55

I'm guessing that an external floppy disk controller will need changes to any floppy software as the controller hardware address will probably be different to the internal controller ...?

Stuart.

Comment

I've uploaded the 4 page Cortex 2 review from the December 22nd 1984 Issue of PCN to my web site.
                                http://www.quantums.info/cortex/Cort...ec 22 1984.pdf

Interesting colour internal picture.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X