Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Powertran Cortex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ETI tended to put the pcb layouts at the end of the magazine for people who made there own pcb's.
    So it may not have been scanned in with the article.
    Worth a look, i can look tonight.

Jim

Comment

E-Bus connector.

Anybody know what connector is fitted for the E-Bus on the motherboard.
      I thought it should be female (i.e no pins) but the pin labeling on the pcb (rows A and C) only matchs up with a male connector.

Theres no hole for it in the Cortex 2 case so was it connected to expansion boards with ribbon cable ?

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Hearne View Post
        Anybody know what connector is fitted for the E-Bus on the motherboard.
        I thought it should be female (i.e no pins) but the pin labeling on the pcb (rows A and C) only matchs up with a male connector.

Theres no hole for it in the Cortex 2 case so was it connected to expansion boards with ribbon cable ?

Thanks,

Jim
        Looking at the E-Bus motherboards on ...

<http://quarndon.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=54_55>

... they have female connectors (as far as I can see), so the boards would be male, so the Cortex should also be female?

Have you got signal/pinouts for the E-Bus so you can check the signal connections against the pins? Give me a shout if not and I'll scan a copy.

Stuart.

Comment

Hi Stuart,
          I had that thought as well and looked there.
          But, i'm sure i read somewhere that the Cortex looks like another card not a motherboard so that would make it male like the cards.
          The parallel port ETI article mentions the connector beinh male on the cortex but in electronics i quite often find that male and female get mixed up depending on what the person describing it decides is the male or female part of the connector.
          The pins or the housing.
          The pc legend for connector rows A and C and pins 1 and 32 matches up with a male connector i have but then the male connector numbering doesn't match up with a female connector when plugged into it !!!

Many thanks,
          I have all the ETI articles and the 74LS2001 datasheet and patent.
          I don't think i have an actual pinout of the E-bus other than whats in the Crotex data.

Many thanks,

Jim

Comment

E-Bus spec:

<www.avjd51.dsl.pipex.com/tm990/E-Bus_Spec.jpg>

Feel free to take a copy.

Stuart.

Comment

74LS2001 replacement.

Hi All,
              Would anybody be interested in a plug in 74LS2001 replacement.
              I've done a PCB (14mm x 28mm) for one based on the 1985 ETI article but using surface mount 74LS04 and 74LS74 IC's.
              But the cheapest i can get the PCB made is 96 for any quanity up to 40 off.
              Anybody interested in a assembled module for say 15 +P&P (or less if if more than 10 people are interested but i doubt that !) to help spread the cost.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart View Post
                E-Bus spec:

<www.avjd51.dsl.pipex.com/tm990/E-Bus_Spec.jpg>

Feel free to take a copy.

Stuart.
                Thanks Stuart.

Jim

Comment

I've been working on a new layout for the parallel card from the same 1985 article, which will provide utility for the E-Bus as well if I can get some of the bare boards made up.
                  Enter My Mind At Your Own Risk!

Comment

Today is the day.

In a couple of hours (lunchtime) i should be put in the final few chips (Ram) and powering the first newly built Cortex for quite some time.
                    I already had it powered yesterday, firstly without any IC's fitted to check current drain and then with all the basic chips fitted except for the ram.
                    There was some activity on the busses but i didn't expect much without the Ram fitted.
                    If that works i have all the chips to fully populate the board except the 74LS2001 replacement.
                    Still trying to get the pcb for that made, i had sneaked it onto a spare part of a PCB panel for a new product here at work but it's not gone into production yet

Jim

Comment

It lives !!
                      Well, as far as displaying the Basic prompt on an old TV
                      I did try to take a picture of the TV but the camera wasn't very happy with that idea.
                      Couldn't do much else as i've not finished the keyboard yet.
                      Heres the board on my desk, excuse the mess !

cortex powered.jpg

Jim

Comment

Looks good Jim!

Comment

Excellent! I just got some keyswitches in today, so I should be able to assemble a keyboard soon--of course, the key caps weren't with the switches, so I hay have to do some creative surgery on some of the other keyboards I have to get what I need. . .on the 74LS2001 replacement board, I can do a quick add of it to the ExpressPCB file for the Parallel board--then you have both the access to the E-Bus and a card to use on it too. . .assuming I got all of the details right on the board.

Comment

I know of one other individual trying to assemble a pair of cortices, so yours, mine, and theirs will add at least 5 to the known survivor list, Jim. Before we know it, we'll know where more than 20 cortices reside, though yours is only the second in a Cortex II case!

Comment

Hi Ksarul,
                              I should still be able to get the 74LS2001 board done as part of our productioon boards for work and if it fits into a spare space on the panel it won't cost me anything.
                              Luckily a current project has a set of funny shaped boards so there is a gap.
                              But it may be a few weeks or a month before these boards get made.
                              Unfortunatly we use avery obscure pcb package called Boardmaker which has no export options at all apart from Gerbers.
                              I can send you a copy of the gerbers for my board if you wanted to add it to your parallel board.
                              I've attached a screen shot of the board, i still need to double check it against the schematic, especially with the mistake in ETI.

To be honest i may well not use the Cortex 2 case, i much prefered the original case with the built in space for the floppy drives.
                              I'm actually probably going to fit it into a old XT PC case and use the PC power supply as well.
                              The keyboard can either be in a modified pc keyboard case or i'll use a PC keyboard with a PIC based interface doing PS2 to parallel keyboard interface conversion.

Jim

74LS2001.jpg

Comment

Just noticed the picture hasn't got the ground plane turned on, it just covers the complete lower layer of the PCB apart from the one short track.
                                A header will be soldered onto the bottom of the board with the legs then cut off flush on the top side, then the SM ic's will be soldered on the top side.
                                I wanted to keep it as small as possible.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X