Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Powertran Cortex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a 9904 also made in Malaysia with identical markings apart from some of the numbers being different, so I'd cautiously suggest that these are good. Maybe e-mail the seller first and just say that you're aware there are some fake TI chips round at the moment and will he give a full refund if there is a problem.

Stuart.

Originally posted by mnbvcxz View Post
    I have seen on ebay tim9904 described as 8 to 3 line encoder, having read that components from utsource are sometimes fake, do you think this is worth a try?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1209208399...84.m1438.l2649

Thanks.

Comment

Christmas greeting to everyone. I'm lucky enough to have nearly 2 weeks off work so there's a real risk I might get round to buying sockets for my bare Cortex board ...

Comment

Go for it, Stuart! I may have to start on mine as well. . .assuming my five and seven year old boys let me have some "me" time. . .not to mention the wife!
        Enter My Mind At Your Own Risk!

Comment

The deed is done and most of the PCB hardware is now ordered. I'll try to order the ICs on E-bay over the next couple of days. Need to hide the credit card bill from the wife next month ...

I'm planning on the following changes:

(1) ZIF sockets for the three EPROMs. EDIT - scrub that idea. It looks as if the holes in the PCB for the IC pins are too small for the pins of a normal ZIF socket.

(2) I'm not going to build the keyboard. I could probably get suitable key switches, but the hardware for the space bar may be a problem, and getting the exact set of labelled key tops is probably not reasonably possible. Instead I plan to control the Cortex from the PC through the RS-232 interface. May need to modify the EPROM code to change some Cortex keyboard scan codes to suitable PC Ctrl key codes.

(3) I'm not going to fit the analogue PAL video hardware, instead I'm going to fit a TMS9918 which gives a direct composite output (just needs a pull down resistor) which works with my PC TV tuner card. I'll need to bend 3(?) IC pins out of the socket so I don't have to modify the PCB.

(4) I'm going to power the board from a PC power supply unit, and have ordered an ATX extension lead that I can modify for the purpose.

Jim: I haven't been able to order the following capacitors. Would you happen to have one of each kicking around? They're for the tape interface, which I don't plan to use other than confirming that it's working. C22 (330n), C24 (5n6), C23 (2n2).
          Last edited by Stuart; December 26, 2012, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Why not fit the F18A instead of the 9918?

Comment

A good idea ... but I haven't got the room in my little computer corner for another monitor, and I don't really want to have to shuffle monitor cables around whenever I want to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart View Post

(2) I'm not going to build the keyboard. I could probably get suitable key switches, but the hardware for the space bar may be a problem, and getting the exact set of labelled key tops is probably not reasonably possible. Instead I plan to control the Cortex from the PC through the RS-232 interface. May need to modify the EPROM code to change some Cortex keyboard scan codes to suitable PC Ctrl key codes.

Jim: I haven't been able to order the following capacitors. Would you happen to have one of each kicking around? They're for the tape interface, which I don't plan to use other than confirming that it's working. C22 (330n), C24 (5n6), C23 (2n2).
                Hi Stuart,

Have you considered using a microcontroller to interface to a PS/2 PC keyboard? The output from the micro can be made to match the Cortex keyboard controller and you get the 'key-down' functionality for games etc. which is not easy to do using the RS232 port. I did it once just to prove the concept using an Atmel chip (they provide an Application Note that gives the circuitry and software as a foundation, so very easy to do: http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc1235.pdf).

This would keep the RS232 port free to use to save/load programs to/from a PC using the PC Comms Util

Dave.
                Last edited by tms9995; December 30, 2012, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tms9995 View Post
                  Hi Stuart,

Have you considered using a microcontroller to interface to a PS/2 PC keyboard? The output from the micro can be made to match the Cortex keyboard controller and you get the 'key-down' functionality for games etc. which is not easy to do using the RS232 port. I did it once just to prove the concept using an Atmel chip (they provide an Application Note that gives the circuitry and software as a foundation, so very easy to do: http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc1235.pdf).

This would keep the RS232 port free to use to save/load programs to/from a PC using the PC Comms Util

Dave.
                  You're taking me out of my comfort zone there Dave, suggesting using something as modern as a microcontroller. One reason I do have for using the PC is that I have a little program to send text a character at a time from a text file down the RS-232, so I can 'save' by simply listing a program over the RS-232 then copying it into a text file, and 'load' by using the program to send it back again. You're right about the 'key down' functionality for games though.

Will hopefully try getting the Cortex running tomorrow if the last of the IC sockets arrive.

Stuart.

Comment

You're taking me out of my comfort zone there Dave, suggesting using something as modern as a microcontroller. One reason I do have for using the PC is that I have a little program to send text a character at a time from a text file down the RS-232, so I can 'save' by simply listing a program over the RS-232 then copying it into a text file, and 'load' by using the program to send it back again. You're right about the 'key down' functionality for games though.

Will hopefully try getting the Cortex running tomorrow if the last of the IC sockets arrive.

Stuart.
                    You're probably right. They can be a bit intimidating. So, to make it simpler, why don't you use the TMS99110 system you designed to act as a PS/2 keyboard interface? That would be cool!

I hear what you're saying about listing the file to and from the PC, but it's slow and can be clunky if the line expands to be too long. I think you should at least give the Comms Util a crack. It will take care of your machine code as well, since you can use the MONitor commands to save/load. It's not far off a Cortex with disks as far as performance is concerned.

Anyway, good luck with the Cortex build!

Dave.

Comment

I've got a 9904 also made in Malaysia with identical markings apart from some of the numbers being different, so I'd cautiously suggest that these are good. Maybe e-mail the seller first and just say that you're aware there are some fake TI chips round at the moment and will he give a full refund if there is a problem.

Stuart.
                      Probably too late now (I didn't realise there had been any more messages here, I must have missed an emailed notification) but that is the company that sold the fake TMS9909 chips.

Jim

Comment

Sorry, as per my other message, I didn't realise things were happening here.
                        Do you still need these caps ?, I had to order 5's and 10's of most of them so should have spares.
                        Which parts list did you use, there were a lot of changes on the later Cortex 2 parts list.

Jim

Comment

Stuart.
                          Designs do exist on the net for using a PC PS2 keyboard and a small micro to create a parallel keyboard, I think they are used on the Apple 2 amongst others.
                          My day job is mostly based around PIC micros so given some spare time I can make a PIC based keyboard interface.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Hearne View Post
                            Do you still need these caps ?, I had to order 5's and 10's of most of them so should have spares.
                            Which parts list did you use, there were a lot of changes on the later Cortex 2 parts list.

Jim
                            Yes please Jim, if you have spares. I'll try to send you a PM with my address.

Also, the DIN socket for the cassette - did you get one that fits the board exactly? The one I've got the two pins at the front of the socket don't match the spacing of the holes on the PCB, and the pins at the back are too big to go through the holes (but I could file the pins down a bit if need be). If you got one that matches exactly, where did you get it from?

Fired the board up tonight and it's working. Need to tweak the code to make it default to the RS-232 for input/output. More tomorrow ...

Stuart.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Hearne View Post

Jim
                              Parts list - I went with the Cortex II list and diagrams but checked and cross-checked everything and found several errors. Might be worth you and I comparing notes some time and producing an addendum.

Stuart.

Comment

When I was at college in 1982 I was flicking through a copy of an Electronics Today magazine lying on a bench and I saw these circuit diagrams for this rather nice computer - the Powertran Cortex. I was able to get the relevant issues together and photocopy the pages on the college photocopier. Those photocopies are still in a folder on a shelf above my head. Now, 30 years later, I finally have a working Cortex beside me. Working that is except for a few missing caps in the cassette circuit, and the VDP and video RAM which at the moment are somewhere mid-Atlantic ...

I got BASIC booting last night - 'booting' in terms of the TIME LED flashing away. And I've spent all day today trying to get the thing to default to input/output over the RS-232 interface to the PC. I thought I'd be able to just change the default UNIT value and bypass the code that does the EPROM checksum, but it's been rather frustrating as that didn't work. So I've spent the day programming EPROM after EPROM (I'm using a single 27C256 in an adaptor) trying this and that. I proved that the RS-232 hardware was working by getting the Monitor program (with the CRU base address changed) from my TMS9995 Evaluation module running.

Then I remembered that Jim had a problem with the RS-232 as well and checked back on his and Dave's posts. The DSR line on the TMS9902 was indeed sitting inactive at a logic 1. So strapped pin 20 to pin 6 on the back of the PCB ... except that the PCB seems wrong ... the 75189 RS-232 receiver input is connected to pin 19, and pins 19 and 20 don't appear to be connected as the circuit diagram suggests. So strapped pins 19 and 6 instead and DSR on the TMS9902 is now at logic 0. But still no joy. Scratch head. A slight tweak to the code ... There's a TB 27 followed by a JEQ in the RS-232 DSR section that tests the state of the DSR input. Changing the JEQ to a simple JMP so that the state of the DSR input is ignored, and my terminal program on the PC reports "CORTEX BASIC Rev. 1.1. 1982". Now the DSR input *should* be correct, so I'll have to try to see why it's not working.

I've also converted the BASIC source code and files so they will assemble as one using the Asm994a assembler (as opposed to assembling individually then linking). The assembler list file is useful as it gives you the actual address for each line of code.

And now, to bed ...

Stuart.

Comment

Working...
                                X