Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Powertran Cortex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stuart View Post
    On an MPE flyer ...

"WORD PROCESSOR by David Hunter. 13.00 only on disk. Make your Cortex do some real work! Includes word wrap, right hand justification, works with either CENTRONICS or RS232 printers."

So did you make enough money to retire on Dave?
    Absolutely. I retired to the sun. Now I just work for a hobby....

I probably still have a copy I could put together for 'release' if anyone's interested. Started out as a cassette-based application and then migrated to CDOS once I was blessed with disks. What made it popular was the way the screen panned around the document, which was something like 70 characters by 66 lines per page. I used some high-speed display update routines to automatically pan the 40x24 display over the document as you typed or moved the cursor. Since there was no lag, people found it very usable. Someone contacted me to write a spreadsheet app based on the same principle.

Dave.

Comment

Mounting Floppy Drives in the Mk 1 Cortex Case

Anyone know the method of mounting the floppy drives in the Mk 1 Cortex case? There are a pair of holes of the right pitch on each side of the upper section of case, but the drives won't mount right up to the case edge because of the flange on the lower part of the case. Was some sort of spacer or mounting tray involved?

Stuart.

Comment

Anyone know the method of mounting the floppy drives in the Mk 1 Cortex case? There are a pair of holes of the right pitch on each side of the upper section of case, but the drives won't mount right up to the case edge because of the flange on the lower part of the case. Was some sort of spacer or mounting tray involved?

Stuart.
        It is quite elaborate and heavy! The drives are mounted, or sit, on a flat plate that's about 2" less wide than the Cortex cover. Then using longish screws and 1" spacers, the screws go in from the outside of the cover, through the spacer/sleeve and into the side of the drives. Thus the drive sub-chassis is suspended solely by the sides of the drives! It's quite fiddly to put it together because of the weight and the fact that the drives also have to be fed through the front panel as well!

Not sure of the timeline, but my first Cortex came with the front panel pre-punched and blanking plates. The second one had a solid front panel, so I had to cut/file the hole for two half-height 5.25" (now 3.5" drives in 5.25" adapters). Then I just fabricated a couple of flat bars the attach to the top of the case and descend down to support the back of the drives (the front panel supporting the drive fronts).

D.

Comment

[ATTACH]13007[/ATTACH]

List of documentation and paperwork retrieved from MPE attached, as a zipped Word file. Have included a column of where I think each item should go - happy to receive requests to redirect!

Hopefully over time we can get things scanned in and uploaded onto the web for others.

Stuart.
          I'm very happy with that list, I'm pleased to see the RGB out pcb schematics are on there, I want to make some of those, even though I've just ordered a F18A.
          I'll scan everything and upload it to my website.

I think the E-Bus motherboard is probably for the MPE 9995 cards and not a cortex so maybe it should go with those.
          I don't think it would work with the cortex without mods, and i'll have the PP95 for testing my 74ls2001 on until I make an e-bus expansion for the cortex.

Many thanks,

Jim

Comment

What use is E-Bus?, is there anything to connect to it?

Comment

At the moment,
              Expansion Ram card, Parallel port card (+ joysticks), sound card (+joysticks), hard disk controller, i'm sure there are others I've forgotten.

Jim

Comment

Where can I find these expansions, are they designed for any particular system, like the Cortex?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Hearne View Post
                  I think the E-Bus motherboard is probably for the MPE 9995 cards and not a cortex so maybe it should go with those.
                  I don't think it would work with the cortex without mods, and i'll have the PP95 for testing my 74ls2001 on until I make an e-bus expansion for the cortex.

Jim
                  No problems, I'll transfer the backplane from your box to the other Jim's box.

To use an E-bus card with the Cortex, presumably as a minimum you'll need a gender changer/extension cable as both the Cortex and the cards have male connectors?

Comment

Originally posted by mnbvcxz View Post
                    Where can I find these expansions, are they designed for any particular system, like the Cortex?
                    They are all for the Cortex really, and the PP95 (industrial Cortex) and MPE 9995 boards we have been talking about recently.
                    E-Bus was a Texas Instruments bus so it's probably on some of there other systems from the time but personally I don't know.
                    Most of the publicly published boards were in ETI magazine or the users group magazines, Stuart now has some more that have been donated by Stephen from MPE , a company that made expansion cards for the Cortex when it was current.
                    Have a look at Dave H's (TMS9995 here), the magazine articles and user group magazines are there http://www.powertrancortex.com/

Jim

Comment

No problems, I'll transfer the backplane from your box to the other Jim's box.

To use an E-bus card with the Cortex, presumably as a minimum you'll need a gender changer/extension cable as both the Cortex and the cards have male connectors?
                      I've not actually fitted the E-Bus connector to my board yet as I was never quite sure what gender or width it was.
                      I'd had the idea you could plug a single E-Bus card directly into the Cortex but I guess not.
                      (Actually, I've checked back now in the ETI parallel port article and it says that you can fit a female connector to the motherboard if you wish to let you plug an E-Bus card in directly).

You can get IDC versions (for ribbon cable) of the DIN 41612 connectors so I can use a couple of those to make an extension to a backplane.
                      I might already have something I can use for that, I've a few passive backplanes for DIN 41612 connector cards in a box somewhere, though I can't remember if they are A+B or A+C.

Jim
                      Last edited by Jim Hearne; April 28, 2013, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Mk 1 Cortex

The Mk 1 Cortex from MPE is now alive again, after some TLC:

-- Strip down and clean.
                        -- Replaced shorted tantalum cap in the power supply which blew a pair of the diodes.
                        -- Replaced the ICs which had been scavenged years ago for other projects.
                        -- Replaced 22 TTL ICs which had rusty legs.
                        -- Mounted the TMS9902s and TMS9929 on DIL headers as the legs were corroded and brittle.
                        -- Seven of the eight CPU DRAMs are dead.

The PCB has a couple of mods on the back around the video circuit, which might possibly be to improve the display? There are photos below, if someone wants to work out exactly where in the circuit the connections are. The diode is a 1N4148, and the resistor is 100 Ohms.

http://stuartconnerdownloads.me.uk/~...f/DSCF0287.JPG
                        http://stuartconnerdownloads.me.uk/~...f/DSCF0289.JPG
                        http://stuartconnerdownloads.me.uk/~...f/DSCF0290.JPG

Stuart.

Comment

The ex MPE PP95 system which I collected from Stuart is now residing in my workshop awaiting a full refurb.
                          I've also got 125 5.25" disks of MPE software which I'm archiving using Dave's PC comm util (www.powertrancortex.com) software to upload disc images to the PC.
                          Progress has been slowed by a couple of Wabash brand disks which decided to shed there oxide coating onto the drive heads, and either that or the cleaning afterwards has put the drive out of alignment.
                          I picked up another drive today.
                          Disks as I image them will be uploaded here: http://www.quantums.info/cortex/MPE%20Disks/
                          There is an Excel format spreadsheet in that directory that I will update as I progress.
                          If anybody has any requests please let me know, otherwise I will steer clear of the unbranded ones to start with, probably doing all the Dsyan ones first as I've had no trouble with them so far.

Jim

Comment

Hi All,
                            Some more disk images on http://www.quantums.info/cortex/MPE%20Disks/ and the index updated with a few more disks that have issues, I will be going back to those at the end.

Jim

Comment

PCB mistake on Issue 2 boards ?

Hi,
                              I've just spotted that the non 5V end of R26 (1K pullup on modulator input) doesn't actually connect to anywhere except a unused pad on the board.
                              Unless it was there for use with another type of modulator that fitted the other holes ?

I tried connecting it on my board but it didn't seem to make much difference to the picture.
                              The TV out on mine has started getting worse, it's now difficult to find a combination of colours that doesn't cause the picture to loose sync,
                              I'm convinced it's some problem with the dc restoration clamp circuit but several scope sessions haven't found anything wrong.

Jim

Comment

Have you modified your sync circuit as in http://www.quantums.info/cortex/Cort...Feb%201986.pdf ?

Or are you using the video circuitry from http://www.quantums.info/cortex/Cort...Feb%201986.pdf - I can't find the 1k R26 in either circuit (well, the former has a 27k R26 between Q2 and the FF clock).

OK, found R26 1k pullup in my printed CortexII schematics. Have you tried adjusting R37? It seems to be the voltage switched to Q5 by the sync pulse.

Comment

Working...
                                X