Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Powertran Cortex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember the bulletproof ram mod and i also remembered a later mention of it which i eventually found.
    Newsletter 6, page 13 says don't do the mod as it's non reversible, and also, if you fit the memory mapper (which i have) then F000 to FFFF is accessible anyway so it's not needed.
    I will have a test later to see if i can access F000 to FFFF as i've yet to get the external memory card running and this could be related.

I can write data to the external RAM and read it back out of the RAM (checked with a scope) but the data doesn't make it back to the test program.

Jim

Comment

But surely memory >F000 to >FFFF is only available if you use the memory mapper to map it elsewhere in the processor address space? As the V9938 program is (by the sounds of it) not doing that because it's expecting the Bulletproof RAM mod, it's not actually going to help with that particular problem?

Stuart.

Comment

Yes, you are correct.
        Even with the memory mapper you would have to still swap it out with another block to be able to access it.
        Maybe the bulletproof ram mod is worth doing after all.

Jim

Comment

I've got the MPE expansion ram board from the PP95 running on the Cortex now.
          Once I'd improved my testing program it became more obvious that I had 3 duff ram chips on the board, replacing those (I actually replaced all 16 with NOS ram chips) and the first 4K block tests out ok.
          At the moment I'm just using some modified Basic code from one of the newsletters that copies arrays to and from Extended memory.
          Once I found out that the Cortex uses 6 bytes to store all variables the results made a lot more sense, displaying them as hex helped even more.
          Next to hack the code some more to test the rest of the memory.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Ksarul View Post
            Stuart, I'd like one of each of these if they are still available:

-- 4 off bare MPE FD/WD boards (as used in the PP95 system). Most ICs seem to be address decoding and buffers.

-- 2 off MPE 9950 CPU-E TMS9995 processor boards. Most chips missing, but one has 2 PALs fitted (address decoding?). I think we have docs for these boards.

Also, on the MPE Board with the dual 9901s--it is described in one of the Electronics Today articles. It should also have two Joystick ports on it. I could really use a nice picture of the bottom of the board, as I have a layout done that should allow it to be cloned, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything important (the layout for the top side was in the article, and I sussed out the rest but it is always good to have confirmation).

I may have a 720K half-height as a spare around here too, Stuart.

Jim
            Hi Jim,
            If you are still working on your copy of the MPE/ETI PIO board then can I suggest some changes around the joystick socket area.
            I've finished off the board I got from Stuart but the 9 way connectors are too close together, the rear of the connectors clashes with other components on the board and you can't bolt them down.
            I had to do some modifications to the connector moulding to get them too fit.

I will take some pictures if you want.
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by tms9995 View Post

now i need to figure out a way you can test the cdos 80x26 mode...

Dave.
              Hi Jim,

Attached is a text file of a BASIC listing that will put the V9938 (and hopefully the F18A) into 80*26 mode and put a '*' in each corner. I can send you a .cas file if you like so that you don't need to type it in.

I tried to just paste it here but it kept being converted to lower case, so not sure how to inhibit that...?

Dave.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tms9995 View Post

I can send you a .cas file if you like so that you don't need to type it in.

Dave.
                Here you go...

Dave.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi all
                  My Cortex is still here looking for a good home, I don't think it helps that my posts seem to take up to a week to get past the moderator. By the time my posts get on the site you lot have moved on to the next page.
                  I have no objections to it going to America or even further. I have a business address so it can be collected during the day by a courier.
                  I have also found an a to d board that I don't think is quite finished and a few odd ic's (not 999 series) that can come with it.

Norvin

Comment

Hi Dave,
                    I couldn't get the text2.cas file to work, initialise the cortex and did load "text2" but it just says found ""
                    I downloaded diskimg.cas so i know the setup is ok.

Anyway, i renamed the text2.txt file to commands.txt and used the "send command file" option to "type" it onto the cortex.

Ran it and it certainly goes into 80 column but not 26 rows, i only got the * in the top corners.
                    A bit of code editing and i think it's only a 24 row mode, changing the y=25 to y=23 on lines 330 and 340 got all 4 *'s

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Hearne View Post
                      Hi Dave,
                      I couldn't get the text2.cas file to work, initialise the cortex and did load "text2" but it just says found ""
                      I downloaded diskimg.cas so i know the setup is ok.

Anyway, i renamed the text2.txt file to commands.txt and used the "send command file" option to "type" it onto the cortex.

Ran it and it certainly goes into 80 column but not 26 rows, i only got the * in the top corners.
                      A bit of code editing and i think it's only a 24 row mode, changing the y=25 to y=23 on lines 330 and 340 got all 4 *'s

Jim
                      Thanks for trying, Jim. Bummer about that, grrrrrrr.

FYI, to load the .cas file just do LOAD"" rather than LOAD"TEXT2" as I didn't give it a name.

Dave.

Comment

Ah, i thought LOAD"" just showed you the name of the file it had found on the tape.

I changed line 260 to 260 MEM[D]=MOD[L,10] + ASC["0"] to make it easier to count the rows and columns.

I presume it was supposed to do 26 rows ?

Jim

Comment

Ah, i thought LOAD"" just showed you the name of the file it had found on the tape.

I changed line 260 to 260 MEM[D]=MOD[L,10] + ASC["0"] to make it easier to count the rows and columns.

I presume it was supposed to do 26 rows ?

Jim
                          Fair enough!

Yes, line 200 sets the LN bit of R9 in the V9938. This gives it 26.5 lines instead of 24. If I change the 080H to 0H, then I only get 24 lines. Sounds like he didn't implement that feature. No big deal but I would have to change the V9938 CDOS extensions to only use 24 lines if I buy a F18A. Luckily I have the source code!

Dave.

Comment

There isn't a lot of documentation with the F18A but i have a attached a copy of the register list.

Jim
                            Attached Files

Comment

I got the following reply from Matthew the F18A creator.

The 26.5 row support of the 9938 is a separate feature not directly
                              related to the 80-column mode, or any other mode. The F18A was designed
                              to be a 9918A replacement so the 9938 feature support is mostly limited
                              to 80-column mode and a few other minor features. However, the F18A does
                              support a 30-row setting that is available in the 80-column mode (and
                              other modes as well), so if you can patch the program you could enable
                              that to get more rows.
                              The 30 row mode sounds interesting, the 80 x 24 mode does give rather tall and thin characters.
                              I'm not sure if that's something the V9938 does or only the F18A, I've asked for more details.

Jim

Comment

I got the following reply from Matthew the F18A creator.

The 30 row mode sounds interesting, the 80 x 24 mode does give rather tall and thin characters.
                                I'm not sure if that's something the V9938 does or only the F18A, I've asked for more details.

Jim
                                That's very interesting. Maybe when you get the relevant register info, you can try patching the BASIC prog to see if it works?

If it does work OK, I might buy one and have a go at patching V9938 to drive it. Be nice to have the option of using an LCD monitor on the Cortex without the use of some sort of converter etc.

Thanks for the info,

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                                X