Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Powertran Cortex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norv View Post
    Hi all
    My Cortex is still here looking for a good home, I don't think it helps that my posts seem to take up to a week to get past the moderator. By the time my posts get on the site you lot have moved on to the next page.
    I have no objections to it going to America or even further. I have a business address so it can be collected during the day by a courier.
    I have also found an a to d board that I don't think is quite finished and a few odd ic's (not 999 series) that can come with it.

Norvin
    Is it just me or has anybody else only just had notification that this message was posted ?, i'm sure it wasn't there on the 27th when it says it was posted.

I didn't think this forum was moderated, if you are registered the messages get posted straight away ?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Hearne View Post
      Is it just me or has anybody else only just had notification that this message was posted ?, i'm sure it wasn't there on the 27th when it says it was posted.

I didn't think this forum was moderated, if you are registered the messages get posted straight away ?

Jim
      I don't Know if it is a junior member thing but I am registered and it always takes about a week for my posts to get on the forum but when they do go up the seem to be inserted back in date order for the time I sent them. but never mind please don't forget about my Cortex where is it going. I am starting to get my ear bent about it so need to get it sorted. I am posting this at 18;00 uk time on 2nd December.

Norvin

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Hearne View Post

Jim
        I've had a few emails saying "Norv has just replied..." and when I come here to take a look, there's no evidence of his post! I didn't realize that there seems to be some bizarre delay/lag. Very weird...

Dave.

Comment

Hi all
          My Cortex is still here looking for a good home, I don't think it helps that my posts seem to take up to a week to get past the moderator. By the time my posts get on the site you lot have moved on to the next page.
          I have no objections to it going to America or even further. I have a business address so it can be collected during the day by a courier.
          I have also found an a to d board that I don't think is quite finished and a few odd ic's (not 999 series) that can come with it.

Norvin
          @Norvin, I would definitely be interested in the Cortex, then. I've been resurrecting the layouts for various Cortex boards, so the A/D board would be most interesting.

@Stuart, if you are willing to do the pickup and ship it to me, I would greatly appreciate it--just let me know if you can do it.

@Jim, I haven't seen Norvin's post prior to today either--or the previous one where he notes that it is fine with him if it comes to this side of the Pond. Definitely something strange going on with the board. . .
          Enter My Mind At Your Own Risk!

Comment

I don't Know if it is a junior member thing but I am registered and it always takes about a week for my posts to get on the forum but when they do go up the seem to be inserted back in date order for the time I sent them. but never mind please don't forget about my Cortex where is it going. I am starting to get my ear bent about it so need to get it sorted. I am posting this at 18;00 uk time on 2nd December.

Norvin
            Hi Norv,

For the record, I got email notification of your post @11:20 EST (16:20 GMT) today, December 5.

Dave.

Comment

I've also just had notification of Norvins last post (#572), 3 days late.

I'm posting this 18:44 on 5th.

And it appears instantly, very strange.

Jim
              Last edited by Jim Hearne; December 5, 2013, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksarul View Post
                @Norvin, I would definitely be interested in the Cortex, then. I've been resurrecting the layouts for various Cortex boards, so the A/D board would be most interesting.
                I've actually already tried scrounging the A/D board as well by PM though i'm not sure if Norvin has got it.
                But i'd be happy enough with some photos and buying a pcb from you once it's reverse engineered.

Jim

Comment

TI Microsystems Designers Handbook.

I found this in among the few data books that survived a clear out many years ago.

TI Microsystems Designers Handbook 2nd edition.pdf

It's a 100meg file but loads of interesting stuff in there.

If you just want to look at the E-Bus pages.

E-Bus pages

Jim

Comment

Porting ancient unix

Hello all,

Background

About a month ago I came across this thread and I have read it with much interest. I had never heard of the Cortex before reading this thread, but I do own a 99/4a. I powered it up about two years ago and was overjoyed to see it still work. Back in the day I had expanded it with 32K RAM on the 16 bit bus, and built an EPROM programmer and a 5.25" floppy disk driver for it, both from scratch. 30 years ago I wanted to put a mini unix on it, but that never materialised. That dream kept itching and was the driver for reviving the 99/4a. However, including an old telly it is too big a setup to be practical. Still, a 9900 plus 64K RAM should be enough to run Xinu and LSX unix. With a MMU and 256K it should be enough for Version 6 ("Lion's") unix. A 99105 or 99110 (having separate I/D spaces) should be enough for Version 7 and perhaps even BSD 2.11.

Via Dave's website I discovered the Cortex, Marinchip and the MDEX software. What an interesting read. By the way, Dave, your site lacks the general MDEX manual, but it is available on Jim Hearn's pages. Perhaps a forgotten item? Very impressed with the Cortex emulator by the way.

All in all, a Cortex with the disk hardware installed should be able to run LSX unix. This may sound unrealistic, but some Russian hackers have it running on a BK0010, a Russian home computer from the 1980's that uses a single chip PDP11 derivative as its CPU, and has 48K RAM. The software repo for it is over on Sourceforge.

I have no intention of building or owning a Cortex, but Stuart's breadboard projects look like a practical start to get my 30 year old project speeded up a bit.

Hardware

Stuart, thank you for these captivating designs and excellent web pages. You are getting quite a following: http://www.vaxman.de/projects/tms99xx/

I've just build the 9995 breadboard and it works like a charm. The CPU and UART came from G&C supermarket at eBay, which sells them for 7 and 3 euro respectively, free shipping via mail. The parts arrived after 19 and 28 days and turned out to be genuine. By mistake I ordered a 9902 instead of a 9902A, but it still works. I compared the datasheets and saw no obvious differences. Does anybody know the difference between the two?

I left out the MAX232 level shifter and hooked up the 9902 to a FTDI232 chip right away, using the Elektor/Circuit Cellar breakout board. http://www.elektor.com/magazines/201....1912360.lynkx
                    This way I can use the USB port as a power source and the system becomes a handy A5 sized USB peripheral. I also changed the LS04 to a LS14 (hex inverting schmitt-trigger) and used two inverters to make a (power-on) reset circuit. I have found that the LS138 is not actually needed: if one connects an inverted /MEMEN signal to the 9902 chip select it works equally well. Other adaptations are the use of an EEPROM and a 512K RAM chip. What results is a 6 chip fully functional computer (CPU, UART, RAM, ROM, LS14 and LS32).

Somebody suggested that the ROM should be bankable and that writes could always go to the RAM. I haven't tried this yet, but I think the following should work: if the RAM chip select is hooked up to /MEMEN it covers the full 64K. Its output enable becomes the OR of /DBIN and the inverted /ROM_CE. That latter becomes the OR of the original /ROM_CE and a new signal MAP. When MAP is low, the lower 32K are read from ROM, when MAP is high the ROM is disabled resulting in 64K of RAM.

Another modification I would like to try is adding the single stepping hardware. I think the Cortex circuit for this could work: decoding the external instructions with a LS138 and generating a /NMI signal with three flip-flops (two LS74's). The CKON/CKOFF instructions and the fourth flip-flop could be used to generate the MAP signal for above bank switching. This would take it from a 6 chip system to a 9 chip system, but still fitting on two strips of breadboard.

For disk I'm thinking about a microcontroller hooked up to an SD memory card, but that is for another day. Also for another day is building the 99105/99110 project.

Questions:
                    - any suggestions?
                    - connecting READY to /RESET should eliminate the automatic wait state. Has anybody done the recalculation work for the baud rate table?
                    - the only 99xxx I can find is a 50 euro part sold by 'timeline' on eBay, a UK source. Is that a known good source? Are there better alternatives?
                    - what is the best way to get software downloaded? 'Typing' a file from the terminal emulator to the breadboard seems a good way, but currently this overflows; I guess I need to hook up the hardware flow control signals.

Software

With convenient hardware now almost sorted, the next step is getting a good 9900 C compiler. This is what I lacked 30 years ago and I am still not there yet. These are the options I'm aware of:

- Clint Pulley's C99 for the 99/4a. This one is too limited for my purposes.

- Allan Beard's TI-C for the Geneve 9640. This one is based on Matthew Brandt's compiler for the 68K which is open source. A compiled version of TI-C for the 9640 is on whtech, but alas no sources. I'm trying to locate Allan Beard, but have not found him yet.

- Port the original Ritchie C compiler from PDP-11 to 9900. This is my current preferred route. With the 9900 similar to the PDP-11 in philosophy this should be feasible. I ported the version 6 compiler to modern C some 4 years ago (and the BK0010 project has done the BSD2.11 compiler). Already ported the assembler to 9900.

- Dave Pitt's GCC port. I couldn't get this to work out of the box and using GCC kinda kills the 'retro' attraction for me, as it could never run natively on a 16 bit machine.

Did the Cortex ever have a C compiler? Any other suggestions?

Thanks everybody for the wonderful preservation work!

Paul

Comment

scanning this at the moment, I'll upload it somewhere when it's finished
                      Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that will be great.

Many thanks,

Jim

Comment

Ebus system design book scanned, temporarily uploaded to https://www.dropbox.com/s/3dussnv2mr...stemDesign.pdf (11.5MByte), I can;t leave it there so if someone can copy it to somewhere permanent that would be good.

Comment

Hi Tony,
                            I have downloaded it, its now here: http://www.quantums.info/cortex/EbusSystemDesign.pdf

Sorry, i'm pushing my luck now, do you have the original scans in a higher resolution or with less jpg compression ?
                            I can't read all of the text on some of the pages with circuits, e.g page 148.

Many thanks again for taking the time to scan it for us.

Jim
                            Last edited by Jim Hearne; December 30, 2013, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Many thanks, Tony! I was beginning to think this document was lost in the mists of time!
                              Enter My Mind At Your Own Risk!

Comment

I've put the scan images at https://www.dropbox.com/s/htv987sqzz...signImages.zip (I wont leave anything there long term, I dont have much space). Can you recreate the complete pdf easily from images?

If there are any specific pages that need rescanning or at a higher resolution just let me know

Comment

Working...
                                X