Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Powertran Cortex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim Hearne View Post
    A quick look at your PCB and I would say you need more 0.1uf decouplers, at least one for every chip, as close between 0v and 5V as you can get them.
    OK, I'll try to fit some more in. I'm using 1uF tantalums to decouple, is that a good choice? Also two 100uF mini elco's thrown in for good measure. This seems to work out okay on the breadboard. Or am I being silly?

Originally posted by Jim Hearne View Post
    Silly question, where does the power connect ?
    Power is drawn from the USB host. The circuit should draw less than 500mA. For the USB bridge I use see:
    http://www.elektor.com/ft232r-usb-se...-bob-110553-91
    This power source has worked well on the breadboard. Perhaps I need to add a 5.5V zener diode from Vcc to GND as a circuit protector.

Thanks for your input!

Comment

Originally posted by pnr View Post
      OK, I'll try to fit some more in. I'm using 1uF tantalums to decouple, is that a good choice? Also two 100uF mini elco's thrown in for good measure. This seems to work out okay on the breadboard. Or am I being silly?

Power is drawn from the USB host. The circuit should draw less than 500mA. For the USB bridge I use see:
      http://www.elektor.com/ft232r-usb-se...-bob-110553-91
      This power source has worked well on the breadboard. Perhaps I need to add a 5.5V zener diode from Vcc to GND as a circuit protector.

Thanks for your input!
      Decouplers are normally 0.1uf Ceramics to filter the high frequency noise from the logic.
      I'm not sure if tantalums are as good at high frequencys though they are much better than electrolytics are.
      Leave the Electrolytics you have in for low frequency filtering.

I use USB to TTL serial cables like these a lot at work.
      http://uk.farnell.com/ftdi/ttl-232r-...ire/dp/1740364
      They are great for hooking up directly to a TTL serial port on a micro.

Can i suggest putting a couple of pads for a terminal block or a connector on the 5V rail, also maybe some pads for the serial port.
      It would give people some other options if you end up selling any of the pcbs.

A diode or power Zener across the supply is always a good idea.
      It's about the first thing i connect on any prototype, especially if it's being powered from a bench supply with some test leads.
      They are known as dickhead diodes where i work.

Jim

Comment

Things that are always useful on any microcomputer board are :

Standard Power Jack
        power ON LED
        ON/OFF switch
        Safety Fuse ?? perhaps
        7805 voltage regulator

Also it's good to use standard connectors like 9 pin D type for RS232 .. though the RS232c standard didn't specifiy any perticular connector the 9 pin D Type became standard !

Comment

Most Microcomputer boards tend to need :

A Generic 2.1mm power Jack so a low cost PSU can be attached 9/12V ?
          7805 Regulator
          Power on LED
          Safety Fuse...Perhaps but the 7805 should be enough safety ?
          ON/OFF Switch

Standard D-Type connectors for things like RS232 ?

Comment

Originally posted by ti99/4a View Post
            Most Microcomputer boards tend to need :

A Generic 2.1mm power Jack so a low cost PSU can be attached 9/12V ?
            7805 Regulator
            Power on LED
            Safety Fuse...Perhaps but the 7805 should be enough safety ?
            ON/OFF Switch

Standard D-Type connectors for things like RS232 ?
            Thank you for your input! The mini cortex is designed to have a USB interface, hence the D type connector is less appropriate. USB also provides a regulated 5v power source, that's why you don't see a 7805 or equivalent regulator. The power led is already there.

I think I will add a header to accommodate other interface wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart View Post
              U10. Feel a bit uncomfortable that CRUCLK isn't involved in deriving the /CE. I guess though that if /MEMEN is high then it must be a CRU cycle (or an external instruction, which you aren't using by the looks of things).

Stuart.
              This comment was naging me and I just realised why: Unix and xinu do use the idle instruction. Considering the very partial cru adres decoding I guess that I was lucky that the breadboard verslons worked. i'll add a ls138 external instruction decoder to the mini cortex.

Comment

This comment was naging me and I just realised why: Unix and xinu do use the idle instruction. Considering the very partial cru adres decoding I guess that I was lucky that the breadboard verslons worked. i'll add a ls138 external instruction decoder to the mini cortex.
                Have you got room to add another GAL, and implement it in that? Then have some spare GAL inputs/outputs for future tinkering. And as you're decoding the external instructions, is it worth using /LREX to do the single step and /CKON/CKOFF to switch the memory mapper on/off (with the spare flip-flop), as per the Cortex? Will need to do some rework of the PCB of course. ;-(

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart View Post
                  Have you got room to add another GAL, and implement it in that? Then have some spare GAL inputs/outputs for future tinkering. And as you're decoding the external instructions, is it worth using /LREX to do the single step and /CKON/CKOFF to switch the memory mapper on/off (with the spare flip-flop), as per the Cortex? Will need to do some rework of the PCB of course. ;-(
                  Not sure I can fit a 24 pin part, a 16 pin part should fit. I think I need the spare flip-flop for the LREX interface als well, right? What is beter in that case, LREX or CKON/CKOFF? I would guess the former as there is no vintage software that uses the cortex mapper?

Also, I'm more and more tempted to shift most stuff over to the left and squeeze in an F18A socket in between the CF card and the CPU/MEM chips.

Comment

Something slightly off-topic :

*** Sourcing ICs from China *** an idiot's guide :

some of you may have noticed that I was selling some TMS9900 kits on ebay ? My little experiment to get people interested in hardware design etc has now finished !

These kits of ICs where sourced from two Chinese suppliers : G&C supermarket and Funkward-tech. I didn't test any of these ICs myself (though the supplier said they had, ...as they would !) However I did send a small sample to Stuart and he found most to be OK ? Bizarley the ICs from G&C looked like brand New (NOS) where those from Funkward-tech were clearly pulls.

I know a lot of people have problems with sourcing these ICs from China , but I've found them to be pretty good, the few DUFF ICs I received where promptly resent and replaced with new..

If anyone needs help with sourcing ICs please just ask.

Comment

Below is a rough guide to the prcies I paid for some ICs, this may be useful when costing a project ?

Approximate wholeslae price for some common ICs

Wholesale prices:

CPUs

TMS9900 $3.0 each
                      TMS9995 <$7.0 each
                      TMS99105 <$20 each

TMS9901 $2.50 each
                      TMS9902 $2.0 each
                      TIM9904A $2.50 each

TMS9911 DMA $2.50 each
                      74LS61x Memory Mapper $2.50 each

TMS FDCs <$10 each .. ask for price
                      TMS9909 / TMX9909
                      TMS2797 FDC

Static RAMs (DIP)

HY6264 8Kx8bit 70ns/100ns $1.0 each
                      HY62256 32Kx8bit 70ns/100ns $1.0each
                      HM628128/TC551001/KM68000 128Kx8bit 55ns/70ns/100ns $1.0 each
                      KM684000/HM628512/K6T4008 512Kx8bit Static RAM 70/55ns $3.50 each

Static RAM (SDIP)

UM61256 15ns DIP <$1.50 each
                      UM61512 15ns DIP <1.50 each

NVSRAM (DIP) : DS1250/DS1245 etc
                      32Kx8bit / 128Kx8bit /512Kx8bit $2.0 each

EPROMs/EEPROMs

27C32 DIP <1.0 each 120/100ns
                      27C64 DIP <1.0 each 70/120/100ns
                      27C128 DIP <1.0 each 70/120/100ns
                      27C256 DIP <1.0 each 70/120/100ns

(DIP & PLCC)
                      W27C512 64Kx8bit 45ns DIP/PLCC $1.0 each
                      W27C010 128Kx8bit 70ns DIP/PLCC $1.0 each
                      W27C020 256kx8bit 70ns DIP/PLCC $1.0 each
                      29F040 512kx8bit DIP/PLCC $3.50 each PLCC $1.0 each

Video Processors

V9958 DIP64 <$5.0 each
                      D72020/D7220 DIP40 $2.0 each
                      V6366 PLCC68 $3.50 each
                      EF936x GDP DIP40 <$15.0 each
                      R6545 DIP40 $2.0 each
                      V9990 Surface Mount <$20.0 each

TMS4465/D41464 100ns DRAMs $0.75 each

Sound Chips

SN76489 DIP16 $0.50 each
                      SAA1099 DIP18 <$1.50 each
                      AY-3-8910 DIP40 <$2.0 each
                      YM2149 DIP $2.50 each
                      YM3812 DIP $1.50 each

PIO
                      8255 PIO DIP40PLCC44 $2.0 each : PLCC44 ones $1.0 each

MCUs

AT89C205 DIP $0.75 each
                      ATMega88 DIP $1.50 each

GALs/CPLDs

GAL22V10/GAL16V8 etc $1.0 each
                      EPM7128SLC84 $2.0 each
                      EPM7160SLC84 $10.0 each
                      EPM7064SLC4 ask ?

Comment

Not sure I can fit a 24 pin part, a 16 pin part should fit. I think I need the spare flip-flop for the LREX interface als well, right? What is beter in that case, LREX or CKON/CKOFF? I would guess the former as there is no vintage software that uses the cortex mapper?

Also, I'm more and more tempted to shift most stuff over to the left and squeeze in an F18A socket in between the CF card and the CPU/MEM chips.
                        Ah, LREX does need a flip-flop by the looks of things. So we're a flip-flop short. If you used it for LREX, then the code for the single-step is just a simple LREX rather than the (6?) or so lines of code you posted earlier? Is that a benefit?

Yes please for the F18A socket. Have you checked out the F18A website to see which pins you need connected?

Comment

Is that a benefit?
                          A marginal one, but so is CKON/CKOF. Which is preferable?

Yes please for the F18A socket. Have you checked out the F18A website to see which pins you need connected?
                          Yes. Not very many.

Comment

Originally posted by lezanderson View Post
                            These kits of ICs where sourced from two Chinese suppliers : G&C supermarket and Funkward-tech.
                            My experiences with G&C have been good as well.

Comment

A marginal one, but so is CKON/CKOF. Which is preferable?
                              If it were mine, I'd use the flip-flop for LREX single stepping. The mapper controlled through the CRU latch. As you said before, there is no existing software that uses the mapper.

Comment

With a bit of Tweaking it could be modified into a Tomy Tutor ??

Here are a draft schematic and a PCB design for the "Mini Cortex". I have a little room left over on the PCB. I've considered adding further memory protection (futile), adding an ethernet chip or an F18A. For the latter I'm not so much interested in the 9918A part, but I find the embedded 9900 GPU intriguing and an F18A may serve as a handy development board to prototype an FPU for the 99105 project. On the other hand, mission creep is usually a progress killer.

Jim, Stuart and Ksarul, I would appreciate your constructive critique of the design and PCB (it has been 35 years since I last did a PCB and those were simple, hand-drawn affairs).

Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X