Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

PC/IX Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what we really need for XTs is a full pentium 4 emulator. THEN we could run Vista on it, and use a hard drive as virtual memory since the XT's RAM is limited.
    Last edited by Mike Chambers; May 29, 2008, 10:03 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but just think mow many 360KB floppies you'd need to install it. Unless you plan on getting a DVD drive to run in an XT, too

Then again, you could always do a network install, if Vista supports it...

Comment

Originally posted by amouse View Post
        So on a positive note I am proud to be able to say that I've had time to image my second copy of PC/IX in both EMT4WIN and Dave Dunfield IMD imagedisk formats

Here is the link

http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/IBM/PCIX/index.html

Luckily this activity was performed before my meeting with another disasterous set of Wabash Diskettes . All diskettes were not created equal.
        Did you try the baking-in-the-oven trick on those floppies?

I don;t think it's just Wabash - I have had to throw out all kinds of disks, because you could almost SEE the oxide coming off the media! Maxell, memorex, elephant, Sony, the list goes on and on...

T

Comment

Originally posted by amouse View Post
          Yes whilst I did use Minix from an early age and was often to be seen clutching Andrew Tanenbaum's famous Modern Operating Systems, I would say though that PC/IX was really in a different league.

It was full on UNIX, you know compilers, SCCS, accounting, the works. All running on an 8088. Again, doesn't anybody have the documentation to this or VM/IX? If we could have this scanned and published I think you would agree what an amazing product for the time it really was.

Regards marcus.
          I was involved with PC/IX since its inception and I have a complete set of PC/IX manuals, 'Second Edition', in pristine condition:

o System Manager's Guide
          o Programmer's Guide
          o Text Processing Guide
          o User's Manual (aka 'The Fat Book')

Interested?

Chris.

p.s. As this forum thread appears inactive, I'll leave an email address so that I don't have to keep checking: cas194@gmail.com
          Last edited by cas194; February 19, 2010, 03:29 AM. Reason: Inactive? Left e-mail address

Comment

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'd love to try this on my 5150 and my 10 MHz clone. It seems the links are down however, perhaps someone could point me to an updated link?
            Last edited by dkedrowitsch; March 8, 2010, 06:54 AM.

Comment

PC/ix...

It's been a LONG time since I thought about this, but I definitely remember that PC/ix would NOT run on anything but an XT. You couldn't run it on at AT or 386 at all. If I'm remembering correctly, this was intentional. IBM had a deal to sell Xenix on the AT and they didn't want PC/ix eating into that market. After all, the AT was much faster and had a bigger hard drive.

At one time, I also owned Interactive's (the people who created PC/ix) 386/ix with the full-blown manual set. I'm so mad at myself for letting both these items go years ago.

Mark

Comment

I just found this very interesting post , but does anybody still have the disk images listed in beginning of this thread?

Comment

Dunfield ImageDisk format images here:

http://filedump.glitchwrks.com/softw...tage/ibm/pcix/

There's a .zip archive under images/ if you want all 19 in a compressed format. These images are still available on maben.homeip.net, albeit in a different directory. maben.homeip.net also doesn't seem to have a ton of bandwidth to spare, whereas I just found out my hosting package includes unlimited transfer!
                  Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

Originally posted by glitch View Post
                    dunfield imagedisk format images here:

http://filedump.glitchwrks.com/softw...tage/ibm/pcix/

there's a .zip archive under images/ if you want all 19 in a compressed format. These images are still available on maben.homeip.net, albeit in a different directory. Maben.homeip.net also doesn't seem to have a ton of bandwidth to spare, whereas i just found out my hosting package includes unlimited transfer!
                    Thanks!! but it seems to be down.

Comment

Originally posted by Klee View Post
                      Thanks!! but it seems to be down.
                      Good chance the DNS hasn't finished registering the subdomain...I registered it about 10 minutes before I posted! Try http://www.glitchwrks.com/filedump/s...tage/ibm/pcix/
                      Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

Originally posted by glitch View Post
                        Good chance the DNS hasn't finished registering the subdomain...I registered it about 10 minutes before I posted! Try http://www.glitchwrks.com/filedump/s...tage/ibm/pcix/
                        Thanks again!! Link is working.

Got them!!

Now to install on a 8088 clone with 256k ram.
                        Last edited by Klee; March 23, 2011, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Any tips on installing it? Typed "install" at the command prompt and it reads off the floppy for about 10-15 seconds then floppy light goes out and im left with a flashing curser and it is not responsive to the keyboard.

Tried it on two pc's , one a 8088 with 256k ram and my 8086 deskpro with 640k and it does the exact same thing on both. Also tried two different image files and two different image programs. Hummm..........

Update: It still does not install , the first disc boots fine and I can run format floppys and run the other commands but not the install command. Also it cannot read the other discs in the series that I made once its booted off the 01maint disc , ls command shows "..No such file or directory" .

Any of you older version Unix gurus can help?
                          Last edited by Klee; March 24, 2011, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Installing now!!

I can not find any install guide at all for PC/IX on the internet. I did read a tiny section of a book in google books about it was designed to use a 8087 so I stuck one in just incase.

I was playing around with the dunfield 01maint.imd image file with Dave Dunfields Imagedisk program ( specificly the IMDU.COM ) and was looking at the "F5 STRINGS" function just poking about and noticed the program listed a big compressed file in the image along with the other programs so I ran imdu with the" /e maint.imd "switch to expand the data and then used the "F5" function again.

Now it shows lots more info and under the "install.c" area it listed all the outputs of install.c , replys to commands error messages a note about max hd size is 305 sectors and ;ots more interesting stuff also this "press space bar to install".

PRESS THE SPACE BAR TO INSTALL ..................is it that simple?

Not really because with the original .imd file it never accepted the spacebar input.

Next I renamed the maint.imd to 01maint.imd and booted off of it just to try it out.

It works , after typing the install command and after the floppy light goes out and pressing the space bar it goes straight to the partition section of the install.!!!

But its inconsistant , after about 5 reboots to test it out it only went on with the install 2 times and on the second time I started the install and once it makes it to the partition setup screen everything is ok. Dont know if its the floppy , or one of the 360k drives i'm using.

It is also inconsistant on the Deskpro it seems , but I only tried to run it twice.

The unmodded 01maint.imd file refused to ever accept the space bar input.

Now I need to make more install floppys to finish the install.
                            Last edited by Klee; March 25, 2011, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Installed then rebooted and errored out "cannot load unix press cntrl alt delete"

Comment

THANKS to amouse for posting this! i've never heard of PC/IX before, it looks pretty cool. looks like a lot of you are having problems getting it to run without using real hardware. it runs perfectly the PC emu i've been writing.

i can upload it pretty soon if anybody wants to try PC/IX but have been having problems with other emulators. from what i've seen so far, MINIX 2 blows this out of the water.

not really a fair comparison though, but this is a really cool piece of computing history.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X