Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

PC/IX Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Chambers View Post
    THANKS to amouse for posting this! i've never heard of PC/IX before, it looks pretty cool. looks like a lot of you are having problems getting it to run without using real hardware. it runs perfectly the PC emu i've been writing.

i can upload it pretty soon if anybody wants to try PC/IX but have been having problems with other emulators. from what i've seen so far, MINIX 2 blows this out of the water.

not really a fair comparison though, but this is a really cool piece of computing history.

Well I'm using real hardware and it has issues for me just trying to install it.

You have installed it on your emulator? How did the install go , any problems?
    Last edited by Klee; March 30, 2011, 07:18 AM.

Comment

well all i really did with it was boot the maintenance disk and run a few commands, so i havent exactly given it a full work out.
      sigpic

Comment

I will Like to try it, i have been looking for it to "Emulate" Andrew Tanenbaum minix 1.0 dev environment and compile it (minix 1.0) over it.

would be nice if you can share a virtualized image. thanks in advance

Comment

I'm still having no luck installing this , the maint disk will boot on a 286 with 1 mb ram . It does not like a VGA card as the lower half of all text is missing.

I have been using a microscience 20mb drive and a WD XT- GEN controller card and letting the installer create a 10 mb partition.

After the install it , both on the 8088 and 286 , errors out that it cannot boot unix.

I'm thinking it has issues with larger hard drives than 10 mb.

Maybe I need a IBM machine to install it on, could it be checking for the IBM BASIC roms that are not on my clone.?

This would really be cool it it would just boot up , as it is supposed to work on a 8088 with 256k ram.

Does anybody have any docs on this OS ? I cannot find any manuals at all.

Comment

I THINK PC/IX will only run on very specific hardware. XT and very compatibles with mono card. I can't seem to verify this anywhere though.

Comment

I guess the next step for me is to try it on my 8086 Deskpro since its supposed to be the most compatible "compatible".

Comment

This is what it does on the deskpro.

It is slightly different on the deskpro in that the message " booting /unix from partition + with the underscore " is just a box that looks like a curser on the other pc's.

I really could use some docs on this.

I forgot to post this , PC/IX does not like any cpu speed except 4.77 mhz. Turbo mode on the 286 has to be turned off otherwise it gives read errors if you "ls" to display the contents of the boot floppy. The deskpro boots with turbo mode turned off.

So far every mono card displays just fine.

Comment

How does the install work? can you mess around in a shell after installing, but before rebooting? Just to verify that files needed (like /unix) are indeed on the hard drive.
                  Second thought: have you tried with a partition of 10 MB or smaller?
                  Torfinn

Comment

Originally posted by tingo View Post
                    How does the install work?
                    Boot off the floppy and then type "install" , as soon as it drops to a curser hit the spacebar , its seems to be a bit inconsistant you may have to reboot several times to get the installer to work.

Once the installer is up you just run through the options until it says its done and then your back at thr SS shell.

can you mess around in a shell after installing, but before rebooting? Just to verify that files needed (like /unix) are indeed on the hard drive.
                    I have not been able to so far , after the install your back at the stand alone shell prompt on the floppy with no options to mount the hard drive.

Second thought: have you tried with a partition of 10 MB or smaller?
                    Yes a 8mb and a 9.5 mb partition.

I really wish someone with a IBM 8088 pc with a min of 256K ram and a 10 mb hard drive would give it a go to see if they have better luck.

I have hit a wall with this , I really think you must have a 10 mb hard drive to get it to work.

I also think the maint disk image has errors on it because if you try to run some of the commands of the floppy it gives read errors.

UNIX on a 8088 pc , or maybe a s-100 system , with 256k ram is just so cool............if it would just work.
                    Last edited by Klee; April 13, 2011, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I'm planning on trying this out with my true (big) blue IBM 5150 when I get a chance to pick it up -- currently at my parents' place in WV. I'll try with the XTIDE, and a MFM controller if that doesn't work. I'll report back on the install process.
                      Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

Originally posted by glitch View Post
                        I'm planning on trying this out with my true (big) blue IBM 5150 when I get a chance to pick it up -- currently at my parents' place in WV. I'll try with the XTIDE, and a MFM controller if that doesn't work. I'll report back on the install process.
                        I was never able to get the installer started with the XTIDE in my deskpro only with a mfm card and drive.

Comment

Anyone know what, if any, network card will work with this? Presumably it must have an IP stack.... if the installer can be made to work of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Klee View Post
                            I really wish someone with a IBM 8088 pc with a min of 256K ram and a 10 mb hard drive would give it a go to see if they have better luck.
                            Unfortunately, all my machines of that particular class is 286 or higher.
                            Torfinn

Comment

nevermind on my emu running it right, i can't install it to a hard disk image in it because it does direct controller access. i only emulate on the BIOS level on int 13h!

sorry. damn. runs fine off the floppy images though.
                              sigpic

Comment

Here are the PX/IX hardware requirements taken from an IBM booth handout at the UNIX Systems EXPO/84

PUBLICATIONS
                                The publications for PC/IX, except for the General Information Manual, are provided in loose-leaf binders; they are:
                                - General Information Manual (GH20-6247) Part # 6277855 (Version 1.1)
                                - User's Manual (SH26-6365); Binder # SH20-6364
                                - Programmer's Guide (SH20-6367); Binder # SH20-6366
                                - System Manager's Guide (SH20-6369); Binder # SH20-6368
                                - Text Processing Guide (SH20-6371); Binder # SH20-6370

A copy of each of the above documents and binders will be supplied automatically with the machine-readable material or may be ordered separately at general availability. The General Information Manual for Version 1.1 will be available at product shipment.

SCHEDULE
                                PC/IX Version 1.0 is available now. Planned availability for PC/IX Version 1.1 is 4Q84.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

SPECIFIED OPERATING ENVIRONMENT
                                PC/IX Version 1.0 supports the IBM Personal Computer XT, the IBM Personal Computer with Fixed Disk Expansion, and the IBM Personal Computer XT/370. PC/IX Version 1.1 supports the IBM Personal Computer AT in addition to those supported by Version 1.0. All minimum configurations require 256 KB of memory, one Dual Sided Diskette Drive, and one Fixed Disk Drive.

The minimum hardware configuration for the IBM Personal Computer XT consists of:
                                1 IBM Personal Computer XT System Unit/Keyboard (Model 5160087), which includes the following:

- 1 Dual Sided Diskette Drive;
                                - 1 10 MB Fixed Disk Drive;
                                - 1 Asynchronous Communications Support Adapter;
                                - 128 KB of Memory.

- 2 64 KB Memory Module Kits (Option 1501003), for a total of 256 KB of memory.
                                - 1 IBM Monochrome Display (Option 5151001) and Adapter (Option 1504900)
                                OR
                                - 1 IBM Color Display (Option 5153001) and Adapter (Option 1504910); the Color Display is supported in text mode only.

Note: The Monochrome and Color Displays may both be used within the same PC/IX system. Switching between the displays may be accomplished using the PC/IX STTY command.

The minimum configuration for the IBM Personal Computer with Fixed Disk Expansion consists of:
                                1 IBM Personal Computer System Unit/Keyboard (Model 5150164), which includes the following:

- 1 Dual Sided Diskette Drive;
                                - 64 KB of Memory.

- 1 IBM Personal Computer Expansion Unit Model 001 with a 10 MB Fixed Disk Drive and Fixed Disk Adapter (Option 5161001).
                                - 3 64 KB Memory Module Kits (Option 1501003), for a total of 256 KB of memory.
                                OR
                                - 1 IBM Color Display (Option 5153001) and Adapter (Option 1504910); the Color Display is supported in text mode only.

The minimum configuration for the IBM Personal Computer XT/370 Model 516058 consists of:
                                1 IBM Personal Computer XT/370 System Unit/Keyboard (Model 516058, which includes the following:
                                - 640 KB of memory;
                                - 1 Dual Sided Diskette Drive with Adapter;
                                - 1 10 MB Fixed Disk Drive and Adapter; XT/370 Processor Card;
                                - XT/370 Memory Card;
                                - XT/370 3277 Emulation Card.

OR

The minimum configuration for the IBM Personal Computer XT/370 Model 516056
                                1 IBM Personal Computer XT/370 System Unit/Keyboard (Model 516058, which includes the following:
                                - 640 KB of memory;
                                - 1 Dual Sided Diskette Drive with Adapter;
                                - XT/370 Processor Card;
                                - XT/370 Memory Card;
                                - XT/370 3277 Emulation Card.
                                - 1 10 MB Fixed Disk Drive (Option 5161001).
                                OR

Note: PC/IX supports the PC-XT/370 utilizing the PC HARDWARE, not the XT/370 HARDWARE.

The minimum configuration for the IBM Personal Computer AT (517006 consists of:
                                1 IBM Personal Computer AT System Unit/Keyboard (517006 which includes the following:
                                - 1 256 KB of Memory;
                                - 1 1.2 MB Diskette Drive;
                                - 1 20 MB Fixed Disk Drive.
                                OR

The minimum configuration for the IBM Personal Computer AT (5170099) consists of:
                                - 1 IBM Personal Computer AT System Unit/Keyboard (5170099) which includes the following:
                                - 1 512 KB of Memory;
                                - 1 1.2 MB Diskette Drive;
                                - 1 20 MB Fixed Disk Drive.
                                OR

Note: PC/IX Version 1.1 is required to utilize the IBM Personal Computer AT. The following optional hardware is supported:
                                - Additional memory up to a total of 640 KB; 64/256 KB Memory Expansion (Option 1501013), 64 KB Memory Module Kit (Option 1501003).
                                - 128 KB Memory Expansion (Feature 0209) and 512 KB Memory Expansion (Feature 0203) for the PC AT.
                                - 8087 Math Co-Processor (Option 1501002).
                                - 80287 Math Co-Processor (Feature 0211) for the PC AT.
                                - Up to 2 Asynchronous Communications Adapters (Option 1502074).
                                - 1 Additional 10 MB Fixed Disk Drive (Option 1602500) for use with the PC Expansion Unit ~Iodel 001 (Option 5161001).
                                - 1 Additional 20 MB Fixed Disk Drive (Feature 0205) for use with the PC AT. A maximum of two diskette drives and one fixed disk drive or two fixed disk drives and one diskette drive can be attached to the PC/AT.
                                - 1 IBM Personal Computer Expansion Unit Model 002 with a 10 MB Fixed Disk Drive (Option 5161002) for attachment to the PC/XT.
                                - Up to 3 additional single sided or dual sided diskette drives for a total of 4.
                                - Up to 2 IBM Graphics Printers (Option 5152002) or IBM 80 CPS Matrix Printers or IBM Color Printers (Option 5182001).

Note: Not all of the above options are available on each Personal Computer model.

PLANNING INFORMATION

Customer Responsibility

The customer is responsible for installation of the Personal Computer Interactive Executive. Installation instructions are contained in the PC/IX System Manager's Guide, SH20-6369.

PC/IX consists of nineteen (19) diskettes, grouped into subsets for ease of installation:
                                - Maintenance Subset; one (1) diskette.
                                - Core Subset; eight ( diskettes.
                                - Programming Subset; four (4) diskettes.
                                - Communications Subset; one (1) diskette.
                                - Source Code Control System Subset; one (1) diskette.
                                - Text Processing Subset; one (1) diskette.
                                - Special Purpose Subset; one (1) diskette.
                                - System Accounting Subset; one (1) diskette.
                                - Games Subset; one (1) diskette.

After the Maintenance and Core Subsets have been installed, the remaining subsets may be installed at the customer's option, depending on processing requirements and available fixed disk space.

Any shipments to a country outside of the United States require a U.S. Government license.

Comment

Working...
                                X