• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sun Ultra 30 NVRAM issue

robbo007

Experienced Member
Hi guys.
My original Nvram's battery is dead. I read that these are compatible with the Ultra 30 and can be re-programed via the open boot prompt.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...Y-70PC1/361258

I installed the new NVRAM and I followed this guide: http://web.archive.org/web/201107091...ostid.faq.html

My exact commands:

set-defaults
setenv diag-switch? false
1 0 mkp
80 1 mkp
8 2 mkp
0 3 mkp
20 4 mkp
89 5 mkp
A8 6 mkp
58 7 mkp
0 8 mkp
0 9 mkp
0 a mkp
0 b mkp
89 c mkp
A8 d mkp
58 e mkp
0 f 0 do i idprom@ xor loop f mkp

I still get a "incorrect configuration checksum. Any ideas?

Attachments

• photo62331.jpg
    photo62331.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 7
I don’t know of any way to reset the SRAM. set-defaults seems like the closest thing. Did you manually type in the mkp programming commands? I remember I had a problem when I copy and pasted them. Only other thing I can think of is trying lower case in the hex codes that are entered (eg a8 instead of A8 ). The pinouts on the T58 chip you have look almost the same as the T08 I have. Just one pin that’s different.

if your +5V voltage was super low (< 4.5V) in case of a failing power supply that would trigger the write protection on the SRAM but I doubt that’s the case.

I'm also getting "invalid system frequency" pop up after trying to boot from a fresh install of Solaris 9. Do I need to configure the frequency somewhere in OpenBoot? AS I've reset everything.

SS 10 and/or 20 has jumpers on the motherboard for the MBus speed. Possibly some speed setting jumpers on Ultra also?

I used my demel on the old NVRAM and stuck a coin battery on the top. I then reprogrammed the idprom with these commands. This works for a Ultra30 sun4u machine type. I might try the M48T58Y NVRAM chip with these commands at a later stage to confirm if it works or not with the Ultra 30 (Sun4u) machine.

For Sun Ultra 30:
01 0 mkp
80 1 mkp < = System type. For sun4u arch 80. For sun4m arch - 72. Anything else - read the FAQ
08 2 mkp <= Sun AUI is is always 08:00:20, which are the next three settings for MAC
0 3 mkp
20 4 mkp
c0 5 mkp <= c0:ff:ee to generate 08:00:20:c0:ff:ee as MAC
ff 6 mkp
ee 7 mkp
0 8 mkp
0 9 mkp
0 a mkp
0 b mkp
c0 c mkp
ff d mkp
ee e mkp
0 f 0 do i idprom@ xor loop f mkp <= Calculates the checksum of what you did, and stores it

Great to see my Ultra 30 back to life :) Thanks for all the suggestions.

I did try the new M48T58Y NVRAM but no way to get it working with that. Its strange as people are selling this same chip programmed and working for Sun Ultra30. Maybe there is another command I'm missing.

Back