Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Can't access my keyboard during Linux installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't access my keyboard during Linux installation

I have a 20 old computer and wanted to put a version of Linux on it. When flashing the ISO with Etcher to a USB SD card, it boots from the USB as normal and gives me a few options. Except I can't select anything. No arrow keys, no enter, not even the number lock (no light). I have tried two different versions of Linux (Lithium and Peppermint) and can't select anything, along with two keyboards. Perhaps it's the keyboard, perhaps the computer just freezes. Hard to tell.

Keyboards are USB and the computer has no options for PS/2 or other types. I've tried every USB port. Before I booted to USB, I was in the BIOS to check the keyboard. Works fine.

Now, Linux Mint did work, but I can't use it because it's way, way too fast for my puny computer (Intel Celeron with 512mb of RAM and 20gb HD). Then again, Mint doesn't have me select anything, it just boots. Once it boots, my keyboard worked fine.

So, I need one of two things:

1) My keyboard to work (or computer to stop freezing) during installation.

2) A version that doesn't wait for me to select something; something with either a timer or something that just boots to Linus without immediately asking me options.

IMG_5395.JPEG
    Last edited by Zap!; August 16, 2021, 11:03 PM.

Check the BIOS for a legacy USB keyboard option and enable it. Without that, the keyboard won't work until the OS has loaded an USB stack.

Comment

Who has a 20mb hdd and linux is too fast with 512mig of ram.

I smell a troll sorry.
      Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Comment

Originally posted by Timo W. View Post
        Check the BIOS for a legacy USB keyboard option and enable it. Without that, the keyboard won't work until the OS has loaded an USB stack.
        Unfortunately I do not see it. It has a very limited bios, and the only mention of USB is Intel USB Controller, with a default to IRQ 11.
        Last edited by Zap!; August 16, 2021, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Caluser2000 View Post

I smell a troll sorry.
          He most likely wanted to say 20 GB. People make typos, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Zap! View Post

Unfortunately I do not see it. It's a very limited bios, and the only mention of USB is Intel USB Controller, with a default to IRQ 11.
            What computer/mainboard is it exactly?

Comment

I smell a troll sorry.
              Not everything is a conspiracy. I have 20 computers, and just pulled out a basic Compaq. Checked out Windows 2000, and did not think I needed that OS. Looked at the specs, and it was weak. I have never tried Linux ever, and just recently even found out that it was graphical (assumed it was like DOS; again, I have never tried it).

Saw some videos on YouTube that said you can see install Linux on even older computers. So I tried. Not sure where you get trolling from. Not everyone is an expert.

Edit: didn't realize I said 20mb. Sorry, it's a 20gb hd.
              Last edited by Zap!; August 16, 2021, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timo W. View Post
                What computer/mainboard is it exactly?
                It's Compaq, and yes I did mean 20gb, my mistake. Here's a pic of the specs:

IMG_5396.JPEG 65079275164__12B8AAE2-731A-4938-8FAB-6278223FD98E.JPEG 65079277898__8173436C-91D3-4B3C-AA8B-68B875377EE1.JPEG 65079279357__51D993F5-7F58-4F5D-9CF8-43E0E930724F.JPEG

Comment

Originally posted by Zap! View Post

Not everything is a conspiracy. I have 20 computers, and just pulled out a basic Compaq. Checked out Windows 2000, and did not think I needed that OS. Looked at the specs, and it was weak. I have never tried Linux ever, and just recently even found out that it was graphical (assumed it was like DOS; again, I have never tried it).

Saw some videos on YouTube that said you can see install Linux on even older computers. So I tried. Not sure where you get trolling from. Not everyone is an expert.
                  You don't have to be an expert to use Linux. Give Bunsen Labs https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html a try. It installs on my old rigs with 256megs of ram easily enough. Mint is ideal for systems with more specs. You my ned to use a PS/2 mouse and keyboard on your Compag .
                  Last edited by Caluser2000; August 16, 2021, 11:12 PM.
                  Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Comment

You don't have to be an expert to use Linux. Give Bunsen Labs https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html a try. It installs on my AMD K6-2 400 with 256megs of ram easily enough. Mint is ideal for systems with more specs. You my ned to use a PS/2 mouse and keyboard on your Compag .
                    Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow, as I have work in the morning. The computer doesn't have any PS/2 ports. I believe this is my Compaq. There are several models though.

https://community.spiceworks.com/pro...q-ipaq-desktop

Comment

Take the Hard drive and install in any computer that will boot Linux. Do the install as normal.
                      Then remove the Hard drive with Linux and insert in the destination computer. Boot it and use
                      as you would have, if it had been installed on that Computer. Linux doesn't care, but install
                      the 32 Bit Version or 64 bit version to match your Hardware, or what you require.

Larry

Comment

On P3 systems, I generally have much better luck with older distros. Just for yucks, try an old version of Puppy Linux, say, "Slacko". It's not unsual to see the Debian kernels dropping support for some chipsets along the way.

And, of course, for later versions, there's the CMOV thing.
                        Last edited by Chuck(G); August 17, 2021, 07:13 AM.
                        Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Originally posted by ldkraemer View Post
                          Take the Hard drive and install in any computer that will boot Linux. Do the install as normal.
                          Then remove the Hard drive with Linux and insert in the destination computer. Boot it and use
                          as you would have, if it had been installed on that Computer. Linux doesn't care, but install
                          the 32 Bit Version or 64 bit version to match your Hardware, or what you require.

Larry
                          You shouldn't have to do that at all.Disrtros on a number of P4 systems I(including this one I use as my daily driver without any effort) have currently are Linux Mint Debian Edition 4, Devuan Beowolf (no systemd) and Bunsen Labs Lithium. Installed and updated when need without any problems at all. With and without ps/2 keyboards. Tried Peppermint but it just had some real funny quirks I didn't like. that the others didn't.

Comment

I suggested Puppy because it comes as a live ISO. That is, it doesn't use the hard drive. That should narrow things down a bit.
                            Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

For my so called "5x86" architecture I use Devuan Jessie(no systemd) which went to archive status mid last year.and just point apt to the Devuan Jessie archives.Yeah the requirement for the cpu to have SSE(CMOV) killed installation on 5x86 stuff. About a month ago there was mention on one of the forums I go to of Puppy Linux dropping 32-bit systems completely in the near future. That would be a shame.

Comment

Working...
                              X