• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Intel Multibus SYP312 286/10

Tincanalley

Experienced Member
Before I make a post in the selling section, posting all the pics, description,etc., I wanted to post here and ask what the interest in such a system would be. I have a friend that inherited one when his dad passed. It is compete and comes with all the Xenix binders and lots of 5.25 disks. There is also a Digital VT-100 (minus keyboard). Not up on all this system has installed, other than a 4 port serial port adapter. It has no video or keyboard input, so I'm assuming all setup and other configuration is done via a serial port and terminal.

Anyway, he doesn't want money for the system, just that it find a home that will preserve it and not end up as ewaste. So if you think there would be interest, I will make a post in the selling forum and put up pics of all that is included.

IMG_0916_20211128_210347.jpg

We still use the 286/10A card (the 286/10A is the 'go faster' stripe version of the 286/10). If it has a 286/10 CPU fitted - I have plenty of 286/10A CPU and memory cards...

From my angle I would be looking for a system in a nice case that I could use as a training tool. I would end up refitting the guts of the unit with cards that we use. How many slots has it got? I think the standard was 8 - which is twice what my current system has...

The VT-100 would be desirable (from a DEC perspective). But a keyboard would have to be found if you don't have one...

The killer will be the shipping charges from your side of the pond to ours of course - and whether the power supply is switchable from 110V to 240V. The 4-slot system I have is switchable.

I would be interested to know what is in there though...

The floppy disks may be unreadable - but would probably be of more use to someone who could image them for posterity.

Yes, no video or keyboard port on the machine - all done via serial terminals. If it is running Xenix - there should be a disk controller and hard disk in the machine somewhere...

If this is complete with a disk drive etc. it may be more appropriate to see if a museum of some description may be interested?

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Dave

We now know that it has a winchester hard disk and a floppy disk, so it should have a disk controller card on the other end of the grey cables.

The rest of the ‘gubbins’ is largely related to the cards that are in the MULTIBUS crate.

If there is a winchester disk, it will probably have the operating system loaded onto it (if it still works that is).

Resist the temptation to just plug the system into the mains though. You can do more harm than good :-(!

Dave

Back