• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WANTED: Unisys ICON terminals and Lexicon server

deli

Back in the early 1980's the Ontario government (a province in Canada) comissioned the development of new computers and software for use in schools. The result was Unisys ICON terminals and the Lexicon server running QNX, as well as a bunch of software that ran on it. School computer labs could have up to 16 ICON terminals attached to one server, as well as a printer. By the 1990's they were very obsolete were ordered destroyed. Some were rescued by teachers who ran the computer labs, but they are extremely rare to find.

I have fond memories using these terminals when I was young, and also appreciate their relevance in Canadian computer history. That is why I'm looking to buy ICON terminals, Lexicon servers, disks, manuals, and anything else that might go with it. I'm willing to make it worth your while money wise if you will sell to me, and I will meet you in person for pickup and payment in cash.

Icon1.jpg Icon2.jpg Icon3.jpg Lexicon.jpg

Icon / lexicon

Icon / lexicon

WOW!

Loved these machines and network as well. Spent a few years administrating them and loved every minute of it.

Let me know if you come across any!

Back in the early 1980's the Ontario government (a province in Canada) comissioned the development of new computers and software for use in schools. The result was Unisys ICON terminals and the Lexicon server running QNX, as well as a bunch of software that ran on it. School computer labs could have up to 16 ICON terminals attached to one server, as well as a printer. By the 1990's they were very obsolete were ordered destroyed. Some were rescued by teachers who ran the computer labs, but they are extremely rare to find.

I have fond memories using these terminals when I was young, and also appreciate their relevance in Canadian computer history. That is why I'm looking to buy ICON terminals, Lexicon servers, disks, manuals, and anything else that might go with it. I'm willing to make it worth your while money wise if you will sell to me, and I will meet you in person for pickup and payment in cash.

View attachment 18033 View attachment 18034 View attachment 18035 View attachment 18036

WOW!

Loved these machines and network as well. Spent a few years administrating them and loved every minute of it.

Let me know if you come across any!

Hi Oli,

I now have original CEMCORP ICON, UNISYS ICON, and UNISYS ICON II terminals, a Lexicon server, and a bunch of manuals and disks. I've imaged all of the disks and found a few bad ones. I'm not sure how good the rest of the images are yet. At some point I'd like to get this all working again.

Can you tell me a bit more about these machines?

- I've read that they are ARCNET. Does each machine have a BNC cable that connects to an ARCNET hub? I may have seen IN and OUT BNC connectors and wondered if they were supposed to be connected in series. It's all in storage right now so I can't get a second look or read the manuals.

- Can you tell me about the DOS emulation? What was the emulator called? What company made or distributed it? Was it an emulator, or real DOS?

- I have the impression that one fileserver might not be enough. There are "network fileservers", "cluster file servers" and one other kind of file servers. One kind holds the server OS and terminal boot images. Applications and saved files must go to a different file server?

- Can you help me hunt down floppy disks or disk images for anything ICON related? I eventually plan to make a website with all of the disk images I've gathered and tested, pictures, videos, and everything I learn about them.

Thanks!

Sorry for the bump.

- I've read that they are ARCNET. Does each machine have a BNC cable that connects to an ARCNET hub? I may have seen IN and OUT BNC connectors and wondered if they were supposed to be connected in series. It's all in storage right now so I can't get a second look or read the manuals.

I believe that, at least per classroom, they were connected in series.

- I have the impression that one fileserver might not be enough. There are "network fileservers", "cluster file servers" and one other kind of file servers. One kind holds the server OS and terminal boot images. Applications and saved files must go to a different file server?

The ICON II setup we had used one Lexicon for the entire school, it was the only 'different' machine. I believe it handled the boot images and applications. We didn't really have any saved files.

I eventually plan to make a website with all of the disk images I've gathered and tested, pictures, videos, and everything I learn about them.

I would love to get a copy of those!

Back