• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hp 9000 715/64

Ruud

Veteran Member
Hello,

I received this HP 9000 715/64 and I want to "play" with it. It has two VGA connectors on the back. The one on the right (seen from the backside of the HP) is from an additional car and I was told to use that for a normal VGA screen. The one in the middle is supposed to be sync-on-green. When starting it up I found out that I had to use the middle one, the other one stayed black.
There were only some rectangles on the bottom of the screen with some text. Sorry but I forgot the text, that was some weeks ago; I only now noticed this genre and decided to ask some questions right now. At least it seems I have to connect a terminal to it but I'm not sure.

My main question: where can I find some info-for-dummies how to start this machine up in such a way that I see a login screen? What should I check to know what is on the system at all?

It has no CD-ROM yet but I'm looking for it. Once found I also need to know where I could get the software, HP-UNIX 10 AFAIK. Any pointers are welcome.

I'll start this machine again coming Sunday so I can give more details.

Thank you for any info and Help!

Kind regards, Ruud Baltissen

Those "rectangles" sound like the function key display, so my suspicion is you were hooked up to the right head. It would help more to know exactly what you saw.

My D350 does the same if you have the console redirected at the framebuffer. A black screen (no colors or even a white backdrop. They set the background to black) with white rectangles at the bottom means it is emulating a text console with the function keys highlighted at the bottom.

At least it seems I have to connect a terminal to it but I'm not sure.
You didn't mention if you have a suitable keyboard and mouse, nor if you have reason to believe a suitable OS is not already installed? You might want to check the button cell (battery) as well.

You didn't mention if you have a suitable keyboard and mouse, nor if you have reason to believe a suitable OS is not already installed? You might want to check the button cell (battery) as well.

I'm going from experience on my D350 again here, so mileage WILL vary but:

-Onboard video port does not come up if a keyboard at minimum is connected. This is more specific on the older machines where the keyboard type dictated if Domain OS or HP-UX would boot.
-The machine will continue to function with a dead coin cell, but really weird things happen with handling time (EG: the clock runs ONLY when the machine is running and stays at the alst known date and time until powered on again)

Back