• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sun Ultra 5 DoM issue

Denniske1976

Experienced Member
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to get a DoM (Disk on Module) working in my Sun Ultra 5 workstation. I've got myself an 8GB module. Booting the machine of course gives me the "corrupt label - wrong magic number" message. But when I boot from Solaris (8, SPARC july 2003) it asks me to format the disk and it won't. Going into the format utility and selecting disk 0 takes a loooooong time and gets me intermediate timeout messages (reset target, reset bus). But when it's there I can select partition and see that everything is 0 except partition 2 (backup) that's the whole disk. I can make a new disk layout (root/swap/usr etc), but when I want to write the partition and label it says "disk unformatted".

Anyone have any tips, or have experience, using a DoM in one of these machines? Maybe the DoM is bad, but I've used more of them in various sizes with no problems ever... just a bit stuck now, so I thought I'd ask here :-(

Remember that the Ultra 5 has a quite poor IDE controller onboard. There are a number of devices that don’t play well with the CMD 646 chipset that the machine uses. I’ve had exactly the same issues with a couple of different DoMs that I have. I’d just try a different device, or use a PCI SCSI HBA and a SCSI/IDE bridge.

- Alex

Back