• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Holy Hard Drives, Batman!!

Kind of cool you can still find NIB drives that old. Wonder why the owner never used them, they must have cost quite a bit new.

Kind of cool you can still find NIB drives that old. Wonder why the owner never used them, they must have cost quite a bit new.
He probably figured he was better off just putting them on the shelf rather than deal with all those warranty returns; no, I doubt that they cost that much new, if you could even sell them.

If it's not apparent, these are 20MB 3.5" MFM drives and probably also bear the Octagon brand. These were really, really awful and mostly purchased by OEMs because they were really, really cheap and would barely last until the warranty on the system was up. Manufacture was in that great technological hotbed, the Philippines. As if that weren't bad enough, their last drives were manufactured in that other hardware hotbed of innovation and quality, Chennai/Madras, India.

After Kalok went belly-up in 1994, Jugi Tandon picked up pieces and set up JTS in--guess where--Chennai. JTS was probably the worst drive that I ever had the misfortune to own--not that Kalok was significantly better.

You really, really, don't want these. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're factory refurbs.

Last edited:
I noticed in one of the pictures there is an entry in the error list. At least the maker was willing to be up front about that one. Still, I think I can find better things to spend 3400 bucks on!!

They had to be - known defects are entered before low-level formating. Some drives just came with a typed-up list on a piece of paper.

I had one those drives in a 5160 at work. Even in 1989 we knew they were unreliable.

Can't argue about the quality and performance of Kaloks or JTS hard drives but believe it or not I have a JTS-C1300-2AF 1.3GB hard drive which has been running Windows 95 since 1997. That's 16 years, with 12 years continues running for 24 hours 7 days a week and it's still running. Never gave any faults or bad sectors. Other more and better renowned hard drive brands have failed me after about 5 years of non continues use.

Can't argue about the quality and performance of Kaloks or JTS hard drives but believe it or not I have a JTS-C1300-2AF 1.3GB hard drive which has been running Windows 95 since 1997.
You were bound to get lucky once in a while, maybe when the supervisor was sober and actually inspected one... ;-) If working Kaloks or JTSs were collectors' items its rarity would make it worth more than the MS-DOS above.

The only JTS drive I ever bought (for myself, fortunately, not a customer) lasted 2 weeks; I didn't even bother to get a warranty replacement. Probably still around somewhere.

You were bound to get lucky once in a while, maybe when the supervisor was sober and actually inspected one... ;-) If working Kaloks or JTSs were collectors' items its rarity would make it worth more than the MS-DOS above.

The only JTS drive I ever bought (for myself, fortunately, not a customer) lasted 2 weeks; I didn't even bother to get a warranty replacement. Probably still around somewhere.

Most probably it's just luck as you say but 16 years and still running must be a lot of luck. I didn't intend to say the drives are good or a collectors item, I only wanted to outline my personal experience.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Stone
You think you spotted something? Think again:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270944850477?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649

Aw, darn; they won't ship to Canada :-(
Maybe not, but I will. :)

Back