• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

NEC SX-3 Processor (liquid cooled) 12,000 Pins potencial for sale/auction

esldarkstar

Hi all, I've been holding on to a very interesting piece of history for quite some time now, it is a processor, in it's original shipping crate, from what I believe to be NEC SX-3 Supercomputer. It was made in 1989-90, and was the Fastest computer made up till 1990. The pin array is quite amazing, 10x10 grid of pin arrays which are respectively composed of gold pins 8x15 (120 per sub array) for a total of 12,000 Pins

I weighed it 37.6 Lbs, by far the heaviest processor I have ever come across. And while it by far amazing to look it, it's part in computing history is where it's real value comes in.

DSCN5460 (Medium).jpgDSCN5457 (Medium).jpgDSCN5450 (Medium).jpg

I reach out to the Vintage-computer forum for guidance, are there any NEC supercomputer collectors out there who might know more about these amazing piece?

ASoml4b.jpg

surprised.jpg

Edited: I'm having a hard time thinking of exactly what kind of price that would go for. You main thing to watch out are the gold bugs but I'm pretty sure there's people who would LOVE to hang a vector chip on the wall. I know at least person who would at least but....she is kind of waiting on what price YOU want.

Last edited:
I like the wall display Idea actually...I've been in the electronics PM recovery world for about two decades now, Definitely a awesome Precious metal item. but even at 2011 Au prices, I couldn't even think to treat like scrap.... It's just to much of a rarity. I found an article from 1990, mentions that in that year, When NEC launched the SX-3 system in the US, the sold 7 systems (only 7!) , from ($5.8 - 22.4 million apiece) to a handful of universities and companies. Personally, I'm Blown away be those figures. This being the heart of those old systems is pretty cool to me.

Vector chips aren't a common sight, period. Most never leave Japan's shores and in North America at least we're a little more used to seeing IBM's Multi-Chip Packages show up once in a blue moon.

Wow, I’m willing to pay a lot of $$$$ for this miracle!

P.S. I ask the forum administrators to forgive me for raising the old topic, but sorry could not resist.

Back