• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM 5161 Expansion Unit

Interesting. Looks like the receiver card is there also, still in the unit. The blown tantalum cap is no surprise. Should be easy to fix. The missing hard drive would probably be dead or dying anyway. So, no big deal there. What is that stuff that got spilled on it?! Hopefully, it will clean up ok. The biggest problem I see is the almost 5 days left in the auction. That price will be well over 200 bucks by then, maybe 300.

Interesting. Looks like the receiver card is there also, still in the unit. The blown tantalum cap is no surprise. Should be easy to fix. The missing hard drive would probably be dead or dying anyway. So, no big deal there. What is that stuff that got spilled on it?! Hopefully, it will clean up ok. The biggest problem I see is the almost 5 days left in the auction. That price will be well over 200 bucks by then, maybe 300.

I just happened to move one of my ATs out of storage and it has what looks to my (color-blind) eyes as the same discoloration. Mine...whatever is on it seems very thin, as if it could be painted over. I'm just guessing, though, and the item is not mine. I just remembered that somebody in the forums wanted an expansion unit and it seems to me that since this one has a new connector cord it could be a good way to go. Which tantalum capacitor is blown?

In the military radio collecting community what's become available to us is the shortwave man pack radio that the U.K. fielded in the 1980's. People say they are full of tantalum capacitors just waiting to fail if you look at the radio the wrong way. On the other hand, before they do stop working everybody with an opinion that I've seen absolutely loves the radio.

Well, best of luck, fellows.

Sean

Back