Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

A flake to avoid on ebay

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A flake to avoid on ebay

Just finished an agonizing transaction with maxxdoo.

Auction finished on 23 Oct and paid a day later.

Waited a week, nothing.

One more week. Still nothing. Sent email asking for shipping info. No response.

2 days later. Sent another email requesting shipping info. Nada. Sent another email via Outlook requesting date/time read. Nothing!

Couple of more emails just to see if he was having a bad couple of weeks. ZIP!

Finally started a transaction dispute and got paypal involved. User finally went to the post office and mailed item on 7 Nov. Received 9 Nov.

Left neutral response because the item was good, but his handling of the transaction was pitiful.

Received retaliatory negative feedback from this guy! WTF??????????????

So, if you can, avoid this guy like the plague!!!

Curtis

p.s. Hey Erik, maybe we should have a forum for deadbeat ebay'ers since this is becoming the primary method for collectors to obtain stuff! Hopefully, I won't be in it...
    Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read! Groucho Marx

Curtis McCain

http://pages.suddenlink.net/curtismc/

Originally posted by curtis View Post
    p.s. Hey Erik, maybe we should have a forum for deadbeat ebay'ers since this is becoming the primary method for collectors to obtain stuff! Hopefully, I won't be in it...
    I'm not sure a dedicated forum is needed, but adding to this thread would work - for now, at least.

Anyone else know of any deadbeats?

Please only post about transactions that you were directly involved in and only post the facts. No need to get personal or to risk libel.
    The Vintage Computer and Gaming Marketplace
    The Vintage Computer

Comment

Let's not turn this into a rant thread. If you have somebody specific that you'd like to point out, do so in a clearly written an non-libelous paragraph. Otherwise, let's not all chip on how bad buyers/sellers on eBay can be.

Edit:

Since this thread is now sticky and it will persist, to keep it readable I'm going to prune anything that looks like ranting. Feel free to post your factual story about eBay morons, but don't editorialize too much.
      Last edited by mbbrutman; November 11, 2006, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Picked one of these up on ebay. Yes, maxxdoo FINALLY sent it after threatening action.

Anyway, installed it in my Amiga 500 and hooked up a VGA monitor. No joy.

I'm assuming I need some driver software to enable this. Yes/No?

Can someone help me out here? I don't have an Amiga hooked up to the internet, so probably the best thing would be snail mail. I'm in Burleson, Tx and would be willing to cover costs.

OS is Workbench 1.3 Motherboard rev is 6A.

Curtis
        You too eh? I joined here just to share my expeience with you.

I bought mine off maxdoo on Oct 1, 2006. I had nothing as of the end of Oct.

I had to actually start the claims process on PayPal before he even shipped the thing on Nov 6, 2006.

Mine just arrived an hour ago. Now I'm gung-ho to get home and try this thing. My precious 1084s blew up two days after I hooked my A500 back up in Sept. It was either spend the money on this thing or get the monitor fixed.

It will be nice to use the A500 on a VGA monitor. I also got lucky in that a friend of mine just gave me his old PC speakers so I have sound taken care of too.

Amiga Forever!!! lol.....

Comment

Just ran a check to see if mr. maxxdoo was doing anything on ebay and discovered he's no longer a registered user.

Wonder if it was his idea to give it up or if he was "invited" off by ebay???

Curtis
          Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read! Groucho Marx

Curtis McCain

Comment

Here's another ebay'er that doesn't seem to have a clue.

korodit

I don't think he's deliberately bad, but he's terribly uninformed.

Bid on an auction for an Amiga 500+. Won it and paid what was claimed was the total plus shipping. 3-4 days later he messages me saying he hasn't gotten my payment. Check paypal, seems he's listed a different email address. Cancel that payment and am about to send a new payment to the email he says is correct when I get ANOTHER email saying shipping is going to be $70 as opposed to $24 as posted on the auction.

Grumble...

Paid it.

Wait...

Wait...

Another email to him as THIS payment is ALSO unclaimed! He finally claims the payment.

Today I receive ANOTHER email from him stating shipping is now going to be $90! He does offer to refund my payment and basically cancel out the whole transaction.

All through the email swaps he's claiming he didn't have any plans of selling it internationally, but only in his country of Hungary.

With my final email agreeing to cancel the transaction, I explain to him to change his preferences AND his paypal account!

This fellow is clueless and for the immediate future, don't get involved with him!

Curtis McCain

Comment

I am often a "foreign" buyer or seller. Local practices can be different - eg US sellers who insist on $50+ courier delivery for a tiny, non-fragile, non-urgent item. Are they getting kickbacks? In some countries, the post office rates may be unpredictable as well, if the local clerk is in a position to demand a "premium" to accept the item and process it...

CAVEAT EMPTOR is always relevant.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickNel View Post
                I am often a "foreign" buyer or seller. Local practices can be different - eg US sellers who insist on $50+ courier delivery for a tiny, non-fragile, non-urgent item. Are they getting kickbacks? In some countries, the post office rates may be unpredictable as well, if the local clerk is in a position to demand a "premium" to accept the item and process it...

CAVEAT EMPTOR is always relevant.

Rick
                I used to ship internationally all the time, but no more.
                I 've been burned twice in the past year, with the last one being someone in the UK who purchased an item which I mailed the next day via USPS First Class Mail International Package.
                The buyer contacts me after 28 days saying they haven't received it, and they want a refund.
                I check with the post office, and there's no tracking for items in the UK via the way I sent it.
                I refund the buyer's purchase price plus the shipping, and then three weeks later the package comes back to me with a sticker on it saying there was 11 pounds duty on it, and it was "not called for".
                Essentially, the guy decided he didn't wat to pay the duty his country was going to charge, so I ended up getting screwed out of the cost of international shipping.

How can a seller protect himself when there's no record of delivery?
                If you have something shipped to Australia, how can the seller prove it ever got there if there's no signature required?
                And you can only get the signature with the premium services.

For me it's now only USPS Global Express Mail or UPS/FedEx for international shipping (IE: something that gets me a signature that the thing has been delivered or delivery was attempted).
                One bad apple spoiled the lot.

Comment

Ok, it's official, korodit is a thief!

After a couple of weeks and no response or refund, I've had to file a complaint on him. He hasn't responded to the complaint as of today and I'll probably have to escalate on 2 Feb.

Curtis McCain

Comment

Well after opening cases in both ebay and paypal, then escalating to claim it appears the jerk has finally issued a refund.

However, the refund is pending getting the money from his bank account.

To quote the ever-wise Bugs Bunny, "What a maroon!"

Curtis McCain

Comment

Pay using a credit card (Paypal), they will just credit you and go after the seller. The only time I use cash is when I have some in my Paypal account or the item is just a few dollars.
                      What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
                      Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
                      Boxed apps and games for the above systems
                      Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

Got another deadbeat.

customsg

Sold him/she/it an Amiga software package for a whopping 99 cents! Never paid. Opened a case about a month ago with ebay. Of course, all they did was try to contact the loser.

Totally not worth the trouble.

Curtis McCain

Comment

Got another deadbeat.

customsg

Sold him/she/it an Amiga software package for a whopping 99 cents! Never paid. Opened a case about a month ago with ebay. Of course, all they did was try to contact the loser.

Totally not worth the trouble.
                          If the buyer isn't responding, you can escalate the case to eBay staff, and they'll refund your listing fee and close the case.

Comment

The only problems i've had with ebay/paypal are as a seller. Buyer protection is quite good with paypal, but as a seller, you are truly at the mercy of the buyer. They can always say they didn't receive the item, or that it wasn't as described, and paypal will always side with them.

Sure there are some bad ebay sellers, but the vast majority of issues have to come from buyers who are trying to bilk the system in order to get goods for free or for as little as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by mojorific View Post
                              The only problems i've had with ebay/paypal are as a seller. Buyer protection is quite good with paypal, but as a seller, you are truly at the mercy of the buyer. They can always say they didn't receive the item, or that it wasn't as described, and paypal will always side with them.

Sure there are some bad ebay sellers, but the vast majority of issues have to come from buyers who are trying to bilk the system in order to get goods for free or for as little as possible.
                              I'm hearing that more and more. I've even heard one guy say that Ebay/Paypal will refund the buyer's money and the buyer is under no obligation to send the item back! I keep hoping that's not really true. As an occasional seller, that makes me really nervous!
                              "Manning the earliest spacecraft, flying an aeroplane, with only one propeller to keep you in the sky. Can you imagine that?" -Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

Working...
                              X