• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Amstrad PCW 9512

oldgreywolf

Hi All, I have bought two Amstrad PCW 9512 computers, on one of them when powered up the screen comes on (white screen) but nothing happens, the computer tries to read the Boot disk (System/Utilities/Basic CP/M plus) then beeps a couple of times but will not start up, I intend to refurbish both computers whilst at home or at least get one up and running, any help/ advice would be great,

Attachments

• Amstrad PCW 9512  boot .jpg
    Amstrad PCW 9512 boot .jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 7
I have replaced the the A' drive belt and I get a blank white screen on start up, it flashes dark and white a few times tries to read the disk then bleeps 3 times and stops...
what is my next step. and how do I work out what the problem is.. please assist me and point me in the right direction to try and resolve this Thanks

Are you certain that this is actually the CP/M disk for the 9512 and not a later version for the earlier 8256/8512 models?

I'm asking because all pictures I can find of the 9512 disks have "9512" written somewhere on the label, like these ones:

amstrad-pcw9512-startup-floppy-disks_360_541fb415928222501a37866a153774f9.jpg

Ooh, didn't see the forum post

Anyway, sounds as if its trying to boot.

Fit a Gotek. Not only will it mean you wont have to mess about with failing disk drives (which might just need a head clean) but more significantly, a lot of the 3" disks are of such poor quality they are probably long since dead. Have a look at the disk surface, it might have started to break up. It certainly sounds from the beep as if it can't read it.

I will try to find the cable mod link, but once a gotek is fitted the machine actually becomes useable :)

Some help here

https://fabriziodivittorio.blogspot....-pcw-9512.html

Are you certain that this is actually the CP/M disk for the 9512 and not a later version for the earlier 8256/8512 models?

I'm asking because all pictures I can find of the 9512 disks have "9512" written somewhere on the label, like these ones:

amstrad-pcw9512-startup-floppy-disks_360_541fb415928222501a37866a153774f9.jpg

Just noticed Timo, the CP/M is not marked 9512, good point. I would keep the original drive for later use but seriously looking at a GoteK drive do they come in different specs for PCW and are the connections compatible with the 9512 without modifying the cable although I have noticed a boat load of online advice on how to modify... will be a learning curve.
cheers for the advice gentlemen beginning to enjoy the project, going to try out the process on my damaged 9512 cable

The amstrad uses a different ribbon cable but you make up (or buy) an adapter to connect the amstrad 26 pin cable to the 34 pin gotek
The amstrad power connector looks the same but the pins are swapped about and MUST be changed or you will damage the gotek.

A single Gotek works well with a 9512, slightly more complicated with a Gotek and a floppy under the later version of CP/M due to the way it determines if the drives are 3" or 3.5"

First thing I would do is get a Gotek off Amazon (This should do it https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...GE8&pf_rd_p=6e 878984-68d5-4fd2-b7b3-7bc79d9c8b60&pd_rd_r=5923e8f9-16bf-4ae9-ab15-6340afa66d6d&pd_rd_w=ewH4b&pd_rd_wg=WqxXS&ref_=pd_ gw_unk)

Then download and put flashfloppy on to it (plenty of guides on how to do this, but we can help)

Mounting a gotek in the Amstrad case is a bit difficult but there is a 3d printed mounting bracket on ebay, or you can hack your own. Remove the monitor frame by undoing the four black screws at the bottom of the metal plate and swivel the screen forwards and it all comes off as a unit (couple of cables to disconnect)

To make up the floppy drive ribbon cable adapter this website has pictures and the bits you need https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/DIY:Floppy_Drives

The power connector is a simple matter of swapping the outer two wires with each other leaving the two black wires in the middle two pins untouched. With a knife, the latches can be lifted and the wire pulled to remove the plug from the connector block, swap them round and push back in. Make sure they have latched back in place and wont push out when plugging into the Gotek.

Then its software time. NGTWolf gave me a ZIP file with a lot of software on it which I can let you have with his permission. Again there are a few wrinkles as most is for the 8526 and formatted as 40 track single sided and the 9512 wants 80 track double sided.

I will get my machine back out and finish up a few jobs and re-acquaint myself with it.

Last edited:
Regarding the disk shown at the top, the disk looks like a double sided version, as the markings on the spine are just visible. The 8xxx series disks have markings for the two sides visible. This disk should be the correct disk. BUT, sounds like it's not working. The drive might not be working (dust, dirty heads, damage, etc) or the disk may be faulty (part or all). Try to check the disk first, or find a known OK DS disk to check drive.

Geoff

Back