• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IMSAI 8080 (Lights turn on!)

Mardy

I don't need two IMSAI's so I'm selling one that I recently restored. When I power it on, the lights turn on (Isn't that what everyone every says about these machines).

Actually this one does a little more than just light the lights. I've gone completely through this machine and it is completely operational, including the ability to boot up and run NorthStar DOS. The setup consists of an IMSAI Rev.4 CPU, 4 IMSAI 4K SRAM cards, a Processor Technologies 3P+S and a NorthStar MDS-A1 single density floppy controller. It also comes with an external 5 1/4" floppy drive. I originally had a Shugart SA400 drive on it, but it died. So I swapped it out for a Tandon TM100.

The Processor Technologies 3P+S is strapped to look like an Altair 88-SIO so that you can run cool software like Altair 4K BASIC. It also comes with a copy of NorthStar DOS/BASIC 5.1. I also put a copy of David Dunfields NorthStar Transfer utility (NST) on the disk so one can easily make floppies from the dozens of NSI format disk images that are out there.

I'm planning on putting it up on eBay in a couple of weeks but thought that I'd post it here first. All reasonable offers will be considered.

I am still working on putting pictures together. In the meantime, I have a couple of videos on YouTube showing the box in action. Please note that the terminal is not included.

IMSAI Front Panel Demo

IMSAI Altair 4K Basic Demo

If anyone has any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

-Mardy

Last edited:
Where are you located again? (Will help people figure out shipping costs to decide what price to offer).

- John

lol, that IS you! I recognized the name and wasn't sure why. Goodluck with the auction, You'll see my name come up there in the bidding history lol.

John, you almost got it!

I'm starting the restoration of another IMSAI. This one will also have an IMSAI dual 8" floppy drive! If I decide to sell it, I'll give you a heads up.

-Mardy

lol you did see that? That was funny watching those last few minutes, was showing someone else who obviously didn't understand what it was or why it was incrementing but that's the way they always go.

Sure if you're doing it again definitely keep me in mind. It's on my top 3 list as one of the 3 systems I really want. (Altair and IBM 5100 are the others if anyone is watching).

- John

Back