• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Last Call for Magazines

Terry Yager

Veteran Member
I've offered these a few times before with no takers (shipping cost scares folks off it seems). Anyways, free for shipping:

A box full of Byte (three complete years)

Box full of assorted Analog & Antic

Several Compute & Compute Gazette

I can't list exact dates because they are in storage thirty miles away, but a search of past offerings should turn up some more info.

If not claimed within three days, they will become wallpaper (preferable to landfill or even e*ay). I think they would look great dismantled and glued to the walls of my computer room.

--T

I've offered these a few times before with no takers (shipping cost scares folks off it seems). Anyways, free for shipping:

A box full of Byte (three complete years)

Box full of assorted Analog & Antic

Several Compute & Compute Gazette

I can't list exact dates because they are in storage thirty miles away, but a search of past offerings should turn up some more info.

If not claimed within three days, they will become wallpaper (preferable to landfill or even e*ay). I think they would look great dismantled and glued to the walls of my computer room.

--T

Any idea what shipping for the byte mags would be media mail?

Unfortunately, MediaMail excludes *ANYTHING* with advertising, no matter the age.

Doesn't mean you can't TRY, but they frown upon it...

T

Although magazines cannot be sent media mail, they can be sent as "bound printed matter". I had a bunch of magazines sent to me this way one time. It is actually even cheaper than media mail. The only downside is that you would have to split them up into 15 pound parcels.

http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditwithintheus/boundprintedmatter.htm

Unfortunately, BPM is not an option in the online shipping calculator, but you can get it at the post office if you ask for it. Evidently, post office employees are trained not to even offer it to customers if they ask for the cheapest method of shipping, even if the clerk knows full well that the material being shipped qualifies as bound printed matter.

Chris

All those special kinds of shipping options sound foreign for me living overseas. I can't be sure, but I doubt any European post company having special rates for books or other goods. Besides, I saw someone on eBay elaborating that if he threw in a CD-ROM into the package, the magazines full of advertisments suddenly became valid for media mail again... could be a loop hole.

Anycase, I have posted about Terry's offer on other forum(s) to ensure he gets some pickers.

Besides, I saw someone on eBay elaborating that if he threw in a CD-ROM into the package, the magazines full of advertisments suddenly became valid for media mail again... could be a loop hole.

I'd be interested in the magazines if I weren't saving for something else. Now if they were magazines from 1983, 1984, or 1985....

Yup, I've done something similar to the CD-ROM trick. I was sending alot of electronics somewhere and to qualify as media mail, I tossed a book on top. I TRY not to do that too often, and only do it when shipping my stuff to a new location(moving). A good rule of thumb is that if a majority of it is books then it qualifies, but I never actually read the fine print.

Bound Printed Matter, eh? Sounds familiar. Also sounds like something the Gov't or just about any business might do. I wonder if at one point in time it used to be offered. I know that at Starbucks and other resturaunts and such, even though it isn't on the menu, employees are trained to know how to make things that used to be on the menu.

--Ryan

At my local Post Office, they told me that magazines don't qualify for BPM rates, only books.

Anyways, no rush, I was just kicking around this decorating idea, but thought I should give the mags one last chance at redemption before sacrificing them.

--T

I have recieved old magazines shipped via media mail a dozen times by now, the advertisement clause should be for current advertisements not old magazines.

Just because it ain't legal, doesn't mean people don't do it (and usually get away with it). Throwing a CD into a box of hardwares is waaaay off the chart though. They're just lucky that the package wasn't opened for inspection.

--T

Good news! I showed a couple of samples to the guy at my (new) local branch, and he agrees that they are no longer valid advertising media, but rather Historical Documents, so they can be shipped as Media Mail (much cheaper). (I'll make sure he's there to inspect the packages when I drop them off from now on). I guess it's a judgment call, and he made the right call this time.

BTW, for the record, BPM no longer exists either (although their webpage has not yet been updated to reflect that fact).

--T

Bound and Printed Matter shipping sucks anyway. I think that if they could not deliver the items they would get trashed instead of returned to the sender.

In the interest of convenience (mine), I'll just hit all the major questions here, rather than replying individually to the numerous messages I've received.

The magazines will be shipped as lots, as I'm not much interested in sending out single/few issues at a time. The recipient may feel free to redistribute the unwanted issues in any way they see fit (even e*ay).

Media Mail will work (cheapest), or whatever method desired (within reason) at recipient's expense. If you have a library, (school, etc) library rates are even lower.

The sending zipcode is 48601.

The Analog/Antic lot is weighed in at 37 lbs. Dates range from (aprox) 1984 - 1988 or so, with many gaps (not complete set).

The Compute lot is 18 lbs, with ages ranging from 1983 - 1988 & some (about half) from the early ninties. If the later, PC-centric issues are (understandably) unwanted, they may be broken into two lots.

The Byte lot weighs 52 lbs. and cover 1986 - 1988 complete, with all (AFAIK) supplements, etc.

The shipping costs may be looked up on www.usps.com (keeping in mind that they have been weighed on my scale, which is not calibrated with the P.O.'s, but should be accurate within a pound or two).

First come, first served, serious inquires only (my inbox is getting flooded).

--T

The Compute lot is 18 lbs, with ages ranging from 1983 - 1988 & some (about half) from the early ninties. If the later, PC-centric issues are (understandably) unwanted, they may be broken into two lots.

I am actually more interested in the early 90's magazines and would like to take them if you will split them off from the 80's stuff.

Chris

Still Available?

Still Available?

Are the Byte and Compute lots still available? I'm interested in having them shipped to 43612...

Has anyone received their magazines yet? I paid via Paypal a month and a half ago and have no magazines, and my PM went unanswered, but it looks like Mr. Yeager has not been active on the boards in a long time. I hope he is ok....

Chris

Back