• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Some Craigslist listings

Sharkonwheels

Veteran Member
Wilmington, NC
vintage kaypro computer - $5 (lionsgate)
------
Reply to: sale-637754354@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-04-10, 6:29PM EDT

relic of yesteryear --- your chance to have a piece of computer history.
great conversation item for computer geeks and historians.

if you want it come and get it otherwise its the in the trash can before too long

Buffalo, NY
Vintage Kaypro - $75 (Lockport)
------
Reply to: sale-621129200@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-03-27, 7:59PM EDT

Kaypro 2x CP/M machine with DOS coprocessor and ram disk.
Have operating system and business software for it.
rwcovell@juno.com

Osborne Executive Computer - $25 (Pittsfield, MA)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-627853386@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-04-02, 3:19PM EDT

Osborne Executive portable computer with all original software (CP/M Plus, WordStar, SuperCalc, MBASIC/CBASIC, Personal Pearl, UCSD p-System) and original documentation. Package includes Turbo Pascal, Turbo Toolbox and Turbo Tutor with documentation; Modem7, Infidel, Zork I, and assorted games in MBASIC and Machine Language. Also includes books: MS BASIC (Knecht), Osborne CP/M User Guide (Hogan), Programming in Pascal (Grogan), Software Tools in Pascal (Kernigan and Plauger). And the Warranty and a copy of the June 1983 issue of The Portable Companion magazine. It does work...

Sure is a shame that Wilmington is clear on the other side of the state. I couldn't afford the gas it would eat up there and back. Especially at $3.45 a gallon. :cursemad: Which is an outrage of which there is NO excuse for. I'll stop there. I could go on quite a rant.
That will be a sweet deal for someone out there on the coast.

Guys,

I don't think the cost of gas is relevant here. Also, if you are not going to pick up the item for personal reasons (like the cost of gas), then we probably don't need to read about it here. To me that equates to just another post that people have to sift through, thus decreasing our signal to noise ratio.

If'n ya get THAT one, I can help ya get it up and running...
That is assuming it actually needs anything!

I'm "kinda' good with Kaypros"

T

Wilmington, NC
Osborne Executive Computer - $25 (Pittsfield, MA)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-627853386@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-04-02, 3:19PM EDT

Osborne Executive portable computer with all original software (CP/M Plus, WordStar, SuperCalc, MBASIC/CBASIC, Personal Pearl, UCSD p-System) and original documentation. Package includes Turbo Pascal, Turbo Toolbox and Turbo Tutor with documentation; Modem7, Infidel, Zork I, and assorted games in MBASIC and Machine Language. Also includes books: MS BASIC (Knecht), Osborne CP/M User Guide (Hogan), Programming in Pascal (Grogan), Software Tools in Pascal (Kernigan and Plauger). And the Warranty and a copy of the June 1983 issue of The Portable Companion magazine. It does work...

Ooo. I have family in that area that can pick this up. I've never had a CP/M computer before.

Ok Guys,

I feel my envy levels rising after reading all these posts about cheap/giveaway Osbornes, Kaypros and other CM/P goodies being available for just a drive away.

I'm turning green here (and no, it's not the homebrew!).

Tez

Kypro 4/84 $25 in Tacoma,WA

Kypro 4/84 $25 in Tacoma,WA

Tacoma, WA
Kaypro 4 84 Personal Computer ** - $25 (Tacoma)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Reply to: sale-655497902@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-04-24, 11:54PM PDT

Kaypro 4 84
Classic PC!
25 OBO
Pick-up.

Has pic in listing...
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/sys/655497902.html
Nice machine to have, as that has the '84 board, with the hard disk connector, probably hardware clock+modem, HH DS/DD drives. KayPLUS and TurboROM compatible...

Mesa, AZ
Kaypro 4 (EDIT: looks like an 83 model, FH drives)
Reply to: sale-651913064@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-04-22, 9:48AM MST

From what I researched this computer a KAYPRO 4 was made in about 1983 or so. The monitor boots up nicely.. It appears fully functional. I don't know much more about it sorry. I think it takes some kind of floppy operating system.
I only have a Lotus 123 FLOPPY.
Link has email, and phone num
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/sys/651913064.html

T

3 Kaypros, 1 Osborne

3 Kaypros, 1 Osborne

'other one - freebies in Milwaukee, WI:

Real legacy computers-AKA CPM OS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: see below
Date: 2008-06-04, 11:15AM CDT

I've got 3 Kaypro's and 1 Osborne LUGGABLE computers w/software. Posted on Freecycle and had lots of replies and lots of no shows. So these have to go this week or to the dump they go. I'm in the Lilly and Lisbon Road area. Best time for P.U. will be between 10AM and 2PM unless we can make other arrangements.

Linkage

T

Not sure why you're posting all these wonderful offerings, other than suggesting the bottom has fallen out of the value of vintage computers and that some of us could be overpricing our vintage computers. That has been the case seasonally as well as yearly for some time. Of course the state of the economy also plays a role. Someone who's worried about losing their job and income, not to mention their house, is unlikely to be ready to spend money on a frivolous hobby. I do believe that whatever the disimultudes of the current economy the market for vintage computers will eventually recover just as any rare item accrues value over time and people have the means to buy them. At those times of course trendiness and bragging rights also plays a role. How else can you explain the higher prices for an Osborne, clearly an inferior machine than a Kaypro but which are equally available.

Lawrence

Not sure why you're posting all these wonderful offerings, other than suggesting the bottom has fallen out of the value of vintage computers and that some of us could be overpricing our vintage computers.

Or perhaps it was so that people that may be nearby can get a good deal on a vintage computer?

I don't think the "bottom has fallen out of the value of vintage computers" at all. Instead, the entire market is crashing. Awhile back, in happier, wealthier, times, I was looking into buying a new computer. Well I wanted one of those fancy IBMs with the XEON processor at 3GHz or whatever, but it would cost me $400 or so. Now that the market is down, I get get one on eBay for $125. Real prices. Everything in markets is getting way cheap; it is a great time for buyers with money, but sellers are hurting. But hey, gotta make money, so they sell anyway, and are thusly without realizing it fueling this crisis.

Save your money and take advantage of this market crisis! Hell of alot of really good deals to be found. I'd be spending if I didn't have to foward my mother money to pay for my move. And when I get it back? Well gas is predicted to be $7 to the gallon by September, so I wont be having much fun getting some spoils.

--Ryan
Sorry for the off-topic-rant of a post...Nice listings, though

I'm just posting the good ones, so people on here can snag them if they are nearby.

Lawrence, I have both Kaypros and Osbornes, and I like them both, but NEVER in MY eyes, will an Osborne be equivalent to the Kaypros. They are like comparing a Yugo to a Toyota!

T

I don't think the market is caving, to be honest 68K Amiga and Apple gear seems to be selling decently. I know europeans are having fun buying from ebay US because the dollar is tanking.

What I think might be happening is some packrats are losing their homes and the collection won't fit into an apartment so it is getting ditched anyway they can.

Back