Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Atari SM124 monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atari SM124 monitor

I've got one here in perfect condition just begging to be sold. I believe it was made for the ST series of Atari computers. Last time I am offering before it is trash. It works and is monochrome in nature. white on black, IIRC.

Make me an offer. Ask for pics if you want 'em.

--Ryan
    Last edited by Yzzerdd; May 14, 2008, 05:00 PM.
    Come to the dark side...we have cookies.
    Wanted: Somebody to buy alot of my stuff
    AT&T PC 6300 site

The Sm124 was a mono hi-res monitor as opposed to the medium-res color ST monitor. It's black text on paper White.
    Some of the ST music programs required it as well as such as the acclaimed Calamus Desktop Publishing program. It produces excellent clear resolution text and is valued highly by most of the Atari ST music community. There were many ST programs which required it and several programs which emulated it were produced such as Sebra. For anyone wanting to use an ST for music, using for example Steinbergs amazing programs, it's essential.
    Please don't trash it. Offer it on an ST forum or the ST Midi forum on Yahoo. If not I will certainly take it for shipping costs even tho I have 2 of them now.

Lawrence
    Last edited by Micom 2000; May 14, 2008, 08:01 PM.
    Economics isn't a real science. It's an evil art designed for the rich.

Comment

Ya, obviously I dont want to trash it, but I am moving soon and want to get it out of my hair. I wish I could've gotten into Atari computers, but midi just isn't something I need in an older computer and I will stick to a trusty Atari 2600 for gaming.

I didn't realize it was such a jewel and wont trash it seems it is valued so much. I'd rather not join a forum just for one post. Could someone who is a member of an Atari forum link to this thread on one? It would certainly help out in this adventure.

--Ryan

EDIT: Thanks for the extra information, BTW. It is helpful to me, but mostly to those who may be interested.
      AT&T PC 6300 site

Comment

How much is shipping to Ohio (44509), I have a 1040stf and the color monitor, but would not mind a mono if its cheap enough to ship.
        What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
        Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
        Boxed apps and games for the above systems
        Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

[QUOTE=isn't something I need in an older computer and I will stick to a trusty Atari 2600 for gaming.
          [/QUOTE]

You might try some of the Atari 8-bit machines and programs. They are a giant step above the 2600 but still retaining some of the basic allure of the 2600 as opposed to most of the "realistic" shoot-em-ups of present-day machines. The Flight-sim program which came with the Atari XEGS had maps of the LA, Ohare, and Laguardia airports which makes me wonder why after 7/11, Dubya's gestapo didn't require them to be turned in, on penalty of being incarcerated in Guantanimo for non-compliance. :^)

Uh-Oh is that a black helicopter outside my house or only an over-revved Semi- ??

Lawrence
          Economics isn't a real science. It's an evil art designed for the rich.

Comment

Good luck getting someone to take care of your SM124. In Sweden, those are impossible to sell, and even giving it away for shipping costs is more expensive than it is worth. Perhaps if you bring it to a swap meet, someone would accept it as a gift, but the monetary value (at least on this side of the pond) doesn't seem to be higher than that.
            Anders Carlsson

Comment

I couldn't care less if I get money or not. I would LIKE to get some as to help fund my move this summer, and even though I've well surpassed my goal, I think a replacement for this 333MHz iMac is a little overdue. Had to sell my main computer for gas money(sad, aint it! It'll be sadder if I have to sell a vintage machine for the same purpose....Tandy 1000SX anyone?), and I sure do miss watching video....besides, I just got a nice 21" monitor in, and it is limited to a TV for now.

Anyhow, getting back on track...

Seems I have had and will likely never have any use for that monitor, I dont mind if it sells for squat. As long as I don't have to pay to get rid of it, I think I'll be just fine.

Micom, interesting you should bring up the airport maps. My Flight Simulator 2 that I have has, in it's manual, large (fold-out) detailed maps of main airports in Chicago, LA, Washington, and I THINK NY as well. Also has the VOR and all that stuff printed for them. It comes in handy when flying in the game, but I don't know how useful a map from the 80s could be of, seems the airports likely have had a make-over. Hell, Meigs Field doesn't even exist anymore!(Default takeoff location from FS-1-FS 2004). Couldn't you get that sort of thing online?

--Ryan
              AT&T PC 6300 site

Comment

ATTN:

UPS "Calculate Time and Cost" is apparently down, since yesterday. I will get your quote for shipping the fastest I physically can. Be advised that USPS quoted $20 Parcel Post, so UPS should charge about the same for the well-packed 20.5LBs package.

--Ryan
                AT&T PC 6300 site

Comment

Using the Windows XP school computers, I was able to calculate time and cost. Maybe UPS fixed the site, maybe the site(like some do) just didn't like my iMac running OSX 10.3.9, hard to tell. Anyhow, below, I copy and pasted the shipping to a zipcode in Ohio, and it should be roughly the same anywhere else in the continental USA:
                  UPS Ground

Billable Weight: 21.0 lbs.
                  By End of Day
                  Wednesday
                  May 21, 2008 15.54 USD*

That "3" is days in transit, BTW, if I shipped it today.

--Ryan
                  AT&T PC 6300 site

Comment

I am looking for a hi-res atari monitor, but am in Canada. They are harder to find up here it seems. Are there any color hi-res monitors for Atari ST out there? Otherwise this is the model I need, the only hi-res I know of.

if you can reply here i'll know it's not sold or thrown out already and we can go from there.

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X