Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

4 Macintosh Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 Macintosh Computers

This is only my second post. I recycle and refurbish PC's for a living. Sometimes I come across Apple Computers. I am not Apple savvy, so I usually disassemble the systems for recycling.

I just recently discovered this website/forum and decided to join. I saved 4 Apple Macintosh computers to see if there would be any interest here at this forum. I have the following Mac's for sale:

1- Centris 610

2- LCIII's

1- 7300/180

4- Apple Keyboard II's

If anyone is interested, please email me at bionic@nconnect.net or call me at 414-322-8386 and leave a message. All reasonable offers accepted. Items are located in Dodge County, Wisconsin. They are relatively heavy systems and therefore shipping may be a bit expensive.

Thanks,
    Marty

I found, through experience, as you soon will too, that most old Macs aren't worth the powder to blow them to hell.

I have a stack of them, all working, but, they aren't worth my time to put them for sale on my website as the shipping would cost more than I could get for them.

Mac users, by and large, are more interested in what the "latest and greatest" is, not in the lineage of their "soon to be obsoleted" current computer.
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I appreciate knowing that. I will stick to recycling the Mac's.

What about the older II's and II//e's ??

I see a bit a bit of interest in those. Is it a good idea to hold on to them?

Comment

Originally posted by Bionic View Post
        Thanks for the info. I appreciate knowing that. I will stick to recycling the Mac's.

II's are more collectible and sought after than most macs. But about the apple II keyboards, are they from a IIe or II+/II?
        -A2f
        Apple II's Forever!!! -some guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bionic View Post

Pretty much anything that says Apple (without the Mac) is worth some money, maybe even early A-I-O Mac units like the 128 and plus. Apple Is and Lisas do quite well.

He didn't say Apple II keyboards, he said Apple Keyboard IIs (for Macs)

Comment

Originally posted by Druid6900 View Post
            \

He didn't say Apple II keyboards, he said Apple Keyboard IIs (for Macs)
            That's right. They are Apple Keyboard II's. Thanks Druid for clearing that up.

Comment

I found, through experience, as you soon will too, that most old Macs aren't worth the powder to blow them to hell.

I have a stack of them, all working, but, they aren't worth my time to put them for sale on my website as the shipping would cost more than I could get for them.
              Druid6900,

I just found that I have a need for an SE/30 with some RAM and a hard drive. Failing that an SE with HD floppy and a hard drive. The cost of shipping doesn't bother me one bit.

Would you consider an offer to buy one of your systems a means of building good will between us?

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by Floppies_only View Post
                Would you consider an offer to buy one of your systems a means of building good will between us?
                Dang - did you pi$$ him off or something?

T

Comment

Tony,

Isn't it past our bedtimes?

I don't believe that I've made anybody on the VCFs angry. I'm just big on building consensus and goodwill. Like any politician

The reason that I asked to buy an old Mac is that I have started using USENET again, accessing it via Google Groups. Last night (which really seems like 'earlier tonight' to me) Google informed me that I had reached the upper limit of allowable posts. But I haddn't finished answering all the questions that people had asked me yesterday.

I have a program (somewhere in this mess of an apartment) called MacSOUP. It is an awesome newsreader with bucoup features. I'd like to start using it again. The funny thing is, to activate the program, I will have to set the calendar back to the year (or so) that it came out, then put in the password. After I do that I can set the calendar back to the current date.

I have a dial-up account that I haven't used in years. I've just been maintaining it for in case a situation like this came up.

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by Floppies_only View Post
                    Druid6900,

I just found that I have a need for an SE/30 with some RAM and a hard drive. Failing that an SE with HD floppy and a hard drive. The cost of shipping doesn't bother me one bit.

Sean
                    Love to, however, no SEs left.

Mostly "pizza boxes" some power PCs and a LC AIO

Sorry

Comment

Love to, however, no SEs left.

Mostly "pizza boxes" some power PCs and a LC AIO

Sorry
                      You know, now that I think about it, that would work even better. Basically I'd like to run MacSOUP and an old version of Netscape. I'm thinking that eight megs of RAM ought to do it. Have you got anything that's got that much? I'd really like a Mac with the ADB bus for a special keyboard that I have.

I can't remember if my copy of MacSOUP will run on a Power PC. Do you know if a PPC can run a 68k application? Perhaps I could just use netscape.

I was thinking that having a color printer would be cool. Do you know if they made them back then, and what they were called?

Thanks for all of your help.

Sean

Comment

Give me a couple of days to dig them up out of the Mac Section of what used to be my Livingroom and I'll let you know what I have.

A 68K app should run on a PPC, but, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I have mouses, modem, keyboards, I know I have an ethernet card in one of them and I have some of the imagewriter series of colour inkjet printers as well.

Ok, just so I don't have to go through them all, it's the PPCs that you would be interested in, right?

Comment

Give me a couple of days to dig them up out of the Mac Section of what used to be my Livingroom and I'll let you know what I have.

A 68K app should run on a PPC, but, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I have mouses, modem, keyboards, I know I have an ethernet card in one of them and I have some of the imagewriter series of colour inkjet printers as well.

Ok, just so I don't have to go through them all, it's the PPCs that you would be interested in, right?
                          Yes, thanks, I am interested in a PPC. I don't know how to use an ethernet card. I could use another modem. I have lots of mice but a backup keyboard would be nice to have.

This is awesome, Druid.

Sean

Comment

Ok, the only PowerPC I have left (must have sold the other ones) is a 6100/66 with the CD-ROM option. Are you interested in that? If so, I'll pull it out of the pile and let you know what it has. I know it has a new battery because I had to buy a dozen for this lot.

I also have a Centris something and a couple of Quadra 6xx units among the LC (x) stuff and at least 1 IIsi. Monitors, scanners, etc. etc. etc.

Maybe an Apple /// or a nice Apple II+ ?

Comment

Ok, the only PowerPC I have left (must have sold the other ones) is a 6100/66 with the CD-ROM option. Are you interested in that? If so, I'll pull it out of the pile and let you know what it has. I know it has a new battery because I had to buy a dozen for this lot.

I also have a Centris something and a couple of Quadra 6xx units among the LC (x) stuff and at least 1 IIsi. Monitors, scanners, etc. etc. etc.

Maybe an Apple /// or a nice Apple II+ ?
                              Druid,

A 6100/66 with the CD-ROM option is perfect. I could use a monitor to go with it, too. Shipping is to U.S.A. Zip code 98105.

Thanks,
                              Sean

Comment

Working...
                              X