• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

For sale: Working Minivac 601, all manuals, patch cords

cclaunch

The Minivac 601 came before the first personal computers such as the Kenbak (1971) or the Altair (1975), offering an educational and hobbyist platform to investigate boolean logic, digital computing and logic design. This product began shipping in 1961, the year when the first humans went into space (Gagarin and Shepard), before the IBM S/360 and when the DEC PDP-1 cost over $100,000 ($1M equivalent today) and weighed 1,600 pounds. In other words, this was as close as any youth or hobbyist was going to get to a personal computer in that timeframe.

This unit provides 6 pushbuttons (SPDT), 6 slide switches (DPDT), six relays (DPDT), 12 indicator lamps, and a unique rotary indicator input/output unit. Included patch wires were used to interconnect the relays, buttons etc to create the desired operation. The manuals that came with the Minivac 601 teach boolean logic, the machine itself and provide almost 90 examples of logical machines that can be wired with the machine.

Among the examples that I wired up with this machine recently are:
  • binary to decimal decoder, spinning the output dial to stop at the decimal equivalent of the four switch input setting
  • decimal to binary decoder, lighting four indicator lamps with the binary equivalent of the numbers 0 to 10 selected by the rotary dial
  • two bit full adder with carry in and out
The power on lamp (a neon indicator) was burned out when I got this. I replaced it with a substitute but have included the original for anyone who wants to restore this to its exact original condition.

Comes with all the manuals (books I through VI as numbered by the maker), some miscellaneous documents and a copy of the brochure for the optional "Capacitor-Resistor Kit". That kit added six capacitors to terminals that already exist on the machine, plus includes a number of jumpers that have resistors inline. These allow the machine to create bistable flip-flops, respond to pulses/edges and isolates inputs from logic structures like AND, OR, XOR whereas the original kit is straight wiring. Easy to add the equivalent of this kit and implement resistor logic gates. Throw in some diodes hooked into jumpers to move beyond what the Minivac 601 and the upgraded Minivac 6010 could do.

Also comes with the jumper wires.
The original cardboard box has fallen apart but I did include one flap that shows the markings and labeling.

Price is $500 plus shipping

pictures available on ebay listing for this unit. Tried to upload here but the size limits are blocking use of any of my images

Last edited:
Back