• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Considering selling Core Memory

Gavin Melville

Hi,

I’m considering selling a large core, and as far as I know the only one of this scale in existence. It came from a ICT (later ICL) mainframe. In 1960 the company that owned the machine upgraded from 200 to 400 CPU registers and paid GBP£ 20,000 for it. This core is the 400 register one, each register being 48 x 48 cores, for a total of 921600 cores. Any advice on what a core like this is worth, and where best to offer it for sale?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8788341@N05/

Holy cow... I have a couple individual planes from old Russian mainframes that cost about $75 each. The closest I've seen to what you have on eBay are cubes from old Russian mainframes with 9 planes and 512 cores per plane for a total of 4608 cores and even those sell for approximately $500. What you have is worth several thousand bare minimum.

Make sure you dump the contents to diskette before selling!

LOL, JK

That is an amazing piece of history you have there. As Exceter stated, core planes are expensive. I paid over $100 even back in the mid 2000's for an example of one for "show and tell" when I was a computer science teacher. I couldn't even begin to imagine what's yours is worth, or for that fact who to approach as a potential buyer. Get it appraised and then donate to a museum maybe?

Amazing! They have one at the US Space and Rocket center and it’s not nearly that impressive. Of course theirs was used in a Saturn 5 LVDC so guess it’s even… lol

DA94523E-A80F-4DDE-B2D1-738C82433B55.jpeg

I have the individual plane and the cube(which I don't have) is what the plane came out of. Apparently, there's a guy in Russian who's been taking them apart because he can get more for the individual planes than he can for the entire cube.

Attachments

• photo61324.jpg
    photo61324.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 2
  • photo61325.jpg
    photo61325.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 2
Back