• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Perkin Elmer/Interdata VT-2222 disk drive, never used, & brand new 5440 HD cart $100

cclaunch

Perkin Elmer/Interdata VT-2222 disk drive, never used, & brand new 5440 HD cart $100

SOLD

IBM first introduced the 14" platter based cartridge disk drives with the 2310 drive and IBM 1130 computer back in 1964, with that format becoming wildly popular for use with minicomputers and small mainframes. Vendors such as DEC with its RK05, Diablo with its model 30 series and many other vendors produced similar drives using the 2315 cartridge format. With the introduction of the System/3 by IBM, a change was made to the 14" platter format. The 5440 cartridge became a top loading pack, but was very similar otherwise to the 2315 based drives.

Vendors introduced higher density versions of these drives, increasing the bit density around a track, increasing the number of cylinders recorded on the pack, increasing the number of cylinders on a pack, and introducing a second fixed platter that rotates simultaneously with the platter in the cartridge so that there are four heads (and tracks) for each cylinder. The capacity of a 14" platter cartridge drive increased over time from 1.25MB to 10MB and more through these density improvements.

Interdata, a maker of minicomputers, was acquired by Perkin-Elmer who used them as the controller for its more complex scientific instruments before entering the computer market directly through this acquisition. These disk drives are from the Perkin-Elmer era, 1973 and onwards.

This drive is brand new, never installed or used. The shipping restraint and other labeling are still on the unit. It was purchased by a Hollywood soundman for a project that was never completed and sat in his collection until they were sold upon his death. I have two identical drives (sold as separate listings) and each comes with a used 5440 style cartridge for use with the disk. The cartridge is set with 24 sectors per rotation and supports the 2200 bit per inch high density recording and 200 track per inch spacing of cylinders.

I believe therefore that this drive provides 404 cylinders of capacity on the removable 14" pack (5440 or System/3 style) and simultaneously on a fixed platter underneath. Like a double high density version of the 5444 model 2 drive from the System 3, offering 10MB of capacity in one drive. I don't have the manuals for the drive to double check this.

This drive is perfect for the hobbyist who wants to spend a bit of time interfacing to a vintage drive in perfect condition. It is also perfect if you have an Interdata (Perkin-Elmer) minicomputer that can use this to augment its storage capacity.

I have two sets - two drives each with a used pack - $100 each or $200 for all

Local pickup by no later than July 8th unless you arrange for shipping in advance of buying this.

Picture limitations are severe on this forum so look at this for pictures - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/sop...336069902.html

Last edited:
I've posted this over on the cctalk mailing list--more likely to find interested folks in minicomputer stuff. That 029 sounds pretty cool, BTW--and brings back memories of spending hours punching on 024, 026 and 029 gear--then taking the decks over to the 407 to get an 80-80 listing and then meticulously hand-checking.

Some folks wonder why one corner of a punch card was cut at a 45 degree angle. For me, it was an easy way to mark cards needing correction--just flip the card upside-down in the deck and it sticks out like a sore thumb...

Back