• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Apple IIc

RLScott ABQ

I bought this Apple IIc in 1987. I haven't run it for at least 15 years, but it ran when I put it in the garage. I'm asking $500.00.

I have an extra floppy drive, printer, all cables, and software.

If you want more photos, let me know.

If interested email me at rscott2863@yahoo.com or call me, Bob, at 505 292-1808. It is located in Albuquerque, NM. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo61824.gif
    photo61824.gif
    142.7 KB · Views: 1
I would recommend cleaning and testing before selling. But even then, $500 is completely nuts.

Reactions: smp
I wasn't aware that ad-stomping was an acceptable practice here.
It's actually Standard Operating Procedure on this forum. :)

But seriously, given what is included, and the poor untested condition, similar units seem to sell on eBeh for $150-200 (listed sale price, not what seller gets after eBay fees, taxes, and shipping). Just a fact.

So I would not expect this item to sell, as better deals can be found on eBay (which is a horrible place for deals these days).

While starting high and working price down is a valid strategy, starting too high hurts interest in the item.

Suffice to say, I got essentially the same setup from Sellam for like $50, and he was good enough to swap the unit out when the PCB turned out to be cracked.

I bought this Apple IIc in 1987. I haven't run it for at least 15 years, but it ran when I put it in the garage. ...

You insult us all by saying it worked long ago, and not bothering to plug it in and give it a try. Good luck to you.

smp

Yeah, you really cant trust a new user whose first post is trying to make a sale. I wish there was a 6 month hold or something on things like that. Coming to our forum and thinking we are crack addicts for what they are selling.

I wouldn't go that far, someone could come in with something truly uncommon or interesting, and we would not want barriers in their way.

Personally I welcome people offering items for sale here. People dropping in here just don't know that most of the people here are computer experts, have vintage machines piled up to the ceiling, and can't stand to see a single spec of dirt on a machine. :)

Hey, at least he didn't put "rare scrap gold steve jobs l00k!" in the title.

Ad-stomping??? Do we have to come up with new and clever names for everything these days? Christ....

I became familiar with that term well over 10 years ago. Where have you been?

(Oh.. right.. hanging out on forums which don't see ad stomping for the rudeness that it is.)

I became familiar with that term well over 10 years ago. Where have you been?

Where have I been? Thinking for myself, not following fads, and not repeating sheepish garbage preserving whatever is left of any dignity the English language still possesses.

I became familiar with fads and "lingo" decades ago..... Doesn't mean I'm going to regurgitate it back at people.

By the way, is it like frog stomping? Is Silverchair involved in anyway?

It's actually Standard Operating Procedure on this forum. :)

But seriously, given what is included, and the poor untested condition, similar units seem to sell on eBeh for $150-200 (listed sale price, not what seller gets after eBay fees, taxes, and shipping). Just a fact.

Sure, fine. But it misses the point.

Once you permit the peanut gallery to weigh-in on the perceived value or desirability of items, you create a situation that's ripe for all manner of abuse.

Want an item cheap? Got a grudge against a seller? Send in your buddies to trash-talk their wares.

And it's just plain rude. If you think the deal stinks then don't buy it! Who cares about your opinions. Let the market work.

He is free to ask what he wants for it. Others are free to buy or not or negotiate a price. At the same time I agree with those who say if you want top dollar for something (or even crazy dollar for something), you have to do the work of cleaning it up and testing its condition some. I've got mixed feelings on "ad-stomping". Again, the person is free to ask what they want, but at the same time people should be free to express their thoughts. This is a forum after all.

I haven’t been here long, but I would think it would be more of a problem if you came in here saying that a computer was a piece of crap or no one would want it or something like that. Just coming in to state how much you think something should sell for or that an asking price is unreasonably high in your opinion shouldn’t be a big deal (in my opinion). In fact I hope someone will always keep us straight on that score. Sales between enthusiasts ought to be more about the love of these machines than making a buck, right?

Sadly, I think we are going to see more of this. People who have not done their homework, or any research on an item, and expect absurd eBay prices. Thing is, in a case like that, all it takes is a couple of cold, dry facts to burst someone's bubble.

Perhaps they saw a pristine Apple IIc Plus sell for $500. It's the same thing.... right? (Fact: No)

I don't believe I have really heard the term "ad stomping" before. Had to search for that a bit.

"Ad stomping" is the act of posting disparaging or derogatory comments or reviews about an item listed for sale, possibly with the intent of preventing a sale or reducing a price below what it is worth. That may even include making absurdly low low-ball offers.

If there were a reasonable sale posted, and someone came along saying "Your machine smells of elderberries!", that might be ad stomping.

I can see how on some forums, where selling things is a major part of what they do, that that could be a serious problem.

We haven't had much of a problem with that here. Most of those kinds of sellers just go directly to eBay.

Ug, case in point:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274840394234

Zenith OEM OS/2 1.0 for $2000? Facts: Most collectors would probably want genuine IBM packaging, Zenith stuff isn't exactly sexy. Looking at recent eBay sales I see a couple early OS/2 server products sold for around or over $500, but those are a different ballgame than client stuff. I'd love to know if any OS/2 1.0 sold for that much somewhere. Also, that seller mis-typed "OS/2" as "O/S 2" so they probably won't even get many views. From what I have seen, that might sell for a couple hundred dollars, so certainly worth something. Any of that too negative? Perhaps Bill Gates would pay that much for a copy to throw darts at? Too negative now? :p

Of course, on a forum, sellers can come back and somewhat counter negative comments. Things like "I think it is worth that much because [insert good reason that should have been stated originally, here]".

Yeah, you really cant trust a new user whose first post is trying to make a sale. I wish there was a 6 month hold or something on things like that. Coming to our forum and thinking we are crack addicts for what they are selling.

Hardforum has a good system. The FS/FT section is not visible to guests, you need to log in to see it. If you are a member, you need a minimum post count of 100 to start threads in the section, but you can reply to threads. It's up to the seller/trader whether they'll deal with you or not.

I also feel we need something similar here. Been too many fly by night scammers here over the years, or people that post trash and never come back.

Back