• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Anyone need some formatted 3.5" floppies?

Chuck(G)

25k Member
Cleaning out old hiding places in my shop. 90 floppies; 70 DSDD and 20 DSHD. All formatted, written, and verified, but with various paper labels.

Yours for shipping (USPS Parcel Select from 97405, about 5 lbs.) Payment via Paypal.

If you want them, drop me a line at vcfblackhole@protonmail.com. If you miss this deal, don't worry. I've got plenty more.

This might seem like an odd question, but what colors are they?
I have more black and grey floppies than I could ever possible need (somewhere around 500 disks total), but I don't have a single purple floppy disk, and I know there are some cool translucent floppies too because I have 2 translucent green ones in my collection.

I'm a bit of a data Horder, so I have a few terabytes of storage space made up of a combination of hard and solid state drives in raid.
I like backing up games and programs to my personal storage, but it's fun to keep a physical library of games and programs on colorful floppies with fun hand made labels.

Any weird or unique floppies?

Overwhelmingly blue with a few gray ones. The HD floppies are all black. These are disks that would otherwise hit the trash, but I thought I'd offer them here. Regardless of what the labels say, they have been formatted and overwritten on all 80 tracks. All test perfect for the entire surface. I discarded about as many that didn't pass muster; most on the innermost tracks. Sony seems to be very bad in that respect.

Okay, no takers. They go into trash Monday.

Anyone need any used QIC carts? Various sizes - DC600A, DC6150, DC6250, Magnus 1.2, DC2100, Travan 3, etc.? Since those have aluminum baseplates, I'm pretty sure that the local e-recycler will take them.

Anyone need any used QIC carts? Various sizes - DC600A, DC6150, DC6250, Magnus 1.2, DC2100, Travan 3, etc.? Since those have aluminum baseplates, I'm pretty sure that the local e-recycler will take them.

I've never heard of those, but from googling they seem to be a type of metal data tape? What were they used for? What type of drive would they use?

Chuck, if no one takes the floppy deal by Sunday, I'll take them off your hands. I figure I could always use some more, especially the low density ones.

Can those ship media mail, if so interested.

No, not metal at all; QIC stands for "quarter inch cartridge", broadly described here. Famous for disintegrating tension bands.

Oh man, there I go assuming again. I thought it looked kind of like metal tape in a google images picture, but I see now it looks more like a chrome or ferric tape.
Reading up on it it looks super fascinating and I'd love to get my hands on some, but it looks like Unknown_K might've beaten me to it.

I love all forms of magnetic tape media. The concept of how these tapes work in particular is really fascinating.

edit: I should clarify that I mean it looks like a chrome or ferric tape in composition, I know these clearly aren't audio cassettes.

I've actually been really interested in collecting magnetic tape media outside of audio tapes for some time.
I've got some HI-8, VHS, VHS-C, and ZIP disks, but I've never really gotten my hands on any form of reel format computer data tapes.

Last edited:
I collect tape drives, so having media for them is a plus (especially tapes other then the most common to find mini QIC 80 variety). If chuck has a bunch of those mini carts you can have them, I am looking mostly for the more uncommon types (but would take all if they are getting recycled and shipping is cheap enough).

Right now, I'm just staring at a pile of things--I've still got to degauss the things (potential customer data). I have some older Tandberg QIC-02 interface drives too; maybe it's time to dump those. My SLR3 and SLR5 drives read those tapes just fine.

There may be some non-oxide formulations in those, but I think, by and large they're good old brown magnetite type coatings.

Just exploring--I've got a bunch of those things and if they're not useful to anyone, I'll turn them in for metal recycling. You can pretty much bet that the tension bands (other than the ones I've replaced) are all goners by now.

If nobody else wants them, I'll take the floppy disks. I definitely need more than the 20 I have currently.

Personally(as floppies fan) I always have too low number of floppies especially DSDD, but as this is "holidays sezon" may not reply enough fast. It will be a waste if they will land just in trash...

Back