• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM Portable PC 5155

gerrydoire

Veteran Member
I'm looking for an EGA Card that will work inside this computer by connecting to its internal monitor cable.

I"m told the EGA Wonder does this, if anyone has this card for sale, I'm intereted, if you know of other cards that may work i'd be interested in that as well..

THANKS!

:D

So how can you tell if the card supports the 5155 ? Is it the small
6 pin connector near the back of the card ? Does the genuine IBM EGA
card work in the 5155 ?

I'm looking for an EGA Card that will work inside this computer by connecting to its internal monitor cable.

I"m told the EGA Wonder does this, if anyone has this card for sale, I'm intereted, if you know of other cards that may work i'd be interested in that as well..

THANKS!

:D

card work in the 5155 ?

I'm assuming the 5155 monitor is composite. There is a wire going to a connector on the CGA CARD from the monitor basically CGA composite output.

So I would need a EGA card that has composite output, perferably with this inside connector.

card work in the 5155 ?

It's the 4 pin one with one of the middle pins missing (key). The 6 pin one (with one missing pin) is for the lightpen.

Ok, so my card does have that. I'll try installing this into my 5155 sometime and see how EGA graphics look on the portable.
Here's a pic of the card showing the pins.

Attachments

• DSCF0144.jpg
    DSCF0144.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 1
The ATI VGA Wonder is a great card , look at all the monitors
and modes it supports. And it even works in an 8-bit slot. I
still have the original one (and box) I bought back in 1988.
Think I paid around $200 at the time :) I also bought
a NEC 3D monitor at the same time to go with this card, paid
about $600 for that !

Here's a scan of the box showing the details:

Attachments

• VGAWonderBoxRearLowest.jpg
    VGAWonderBoxRearLowest.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 1
  • VGAWonderModes.jpg
    VGAWonderModes.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1
  • VGAWonderBoxFrontLower.jpg
    VGAWonderBoxFrontLower.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The EGA Wonder is the only card I know of that is able to display EGA rez on a CGA monitor, albeit interlaced. Since all monitors are not created equal, there must be some out there that are better than others. It's also the only one I know of that works in a 5155, displaying EGA on it's internal screen, but the flicker will induce hallucinations after a couple hours of gaming. I wonder if the high-persistence CRT out of a Compaq is compatible with the 5155? That might actually make it usable...

--T

Compaq vs. 5155

Compaq vs. 5155

I might have to check that out. My 5155 is currently in pieces, so I'm half-way there.
For some reason the thought of an Amber Compaq & a Green 5155 seems very attractive.
Maybe I can even scrounge up a CRT from a B/W TV somewhere that'll fit.
patscc

The EGA Wonder is the only card I know of that is able to display EGA rez on a CGA monitor, albeit interlaced. Since all monitors are not created equal, there must be some out there that are better than others. It's also the only one I know of that works in a 5155, displaying EGA on it's internal screen, but the flicker will induce hallucinations after a couple hours of gaming. I wonder if the high-persistence CRT out of a Compaq is compatible with the 5155? That might actually make it usable...

--T

The VGA Wonder will do EGA on CGA monitor too.
When I got my VGA Wonder card back in 88, I read about the
EGA graphics on a CGA monitor and so I hooked it to my
PCjr (CGA) monitor and tried the EGA graphics mode, talk about
flicker :-(

Back