Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

will buy old laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will buy old laptop

I am looking for a really old laptop to buy. I will buy for under $20.00 to $30.00

Hello,

Are you the same Samantha who already got a laptop from me?
    Anyways, I don't have any to spare right now, but if I did, you'd be welcome to it. I am expecting a few in the mail in the next few days, so we'll see, mebbe there'll be one I don't like. Not sure about the price, but the amount you're offering will barely cover shipping costs, so I hope you're prepared for that too. I still think you should check eBay, as laptops sell there every day for a few dollar$ or less.
    Right now, the only thing I have available are some tablet PCs for $50. ea, but they have smaller hard drives than what you're looking for.

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

Comment

laptop

I will do that Ebay's just too hard to load on my old desktop Thank you terry. I have problems with hardware. on my laptop.

Comment

laptop

I will do that Ebay's just too hard to load on my old desktop Thank you terry. I have problems with hardware. on my laptop.

Comment

Oh, sorry. It hadn't occurred to me that you might not have enough horsepower to access eBay. I'll keep my eyes open for something suitable for you.

--T

Comment

thank you

Yes I am the same samantha that got a laptop from you. Thank you by the way, it runs great, I just can't use the floppy drive. The other laptop i use, it's display conked out on me. Is there anyway I can combine the two together?

Comment

If you would like the battery from the zstar, you are welcome to it. I am only interested in getting one going that's reliable. :

Comment

I dunno, I've never had any problem using a LapLink (null-modem) cable to link two machines together. You could then use the drives in the machine with a bad screen as if they were actually mounted in the other machine. (It will see them as drives d:, e:, f:, etc).

--T

Comment

laplink

I have had so much trouble with laplink. I have a belkin dlink data trasfer cable. It still doesn't work on the laptop or the gateway e3100. I would give anything if i could get anything to work.

Comment

laplink

I have had so much trouble with laplink. I have a belkin dlink data trasfer cable. It still doesn't work on the laptop or the gateway e3100. I would give anything if i could get anything to work.

Comment

make sure the cable is good i had a belkin that got a short in it
                      parallel is way faster but serial is easier and more durable
                      i use laplink 3.0 it'very simple single exe file you could hook the
                      machines up and if the other machine has a bad screen make a
                      boot disk setup to start laplink with autoexec.bat.

you could also use a terminal emulator i use IVT it is not longer
                      in development for dos but it's still pretty good.

most laptops will hook up to a monitor with little to no problem.
                      if all else fails take the drive out and stick it into a desktop with a adapter.
                      If you don\'t know where you are going.. Any road will get you there.

Comment

You can get a null-modem cable from RadioShack or your favorite computer store for around five buck$. That is the easiest way, going from one serial port to the other. If you have DOS 5 or higher on your Zenith, then you have everything you need to run Interlnk/Intersvr. That is very to set up and run. You will want to run the Interlnk app on the Zenith, and the Intersvr half on the Austin laptop. First, you'll have to add a line to your config.sys file. Do you have a monitor you can borrow for a few minutes, so that you can edit the config.sys? If so, then procede as follows:

-Boot up the Zenith with the external monitor attached.

-On the Zenith, type EDIT CONFIG.SYS

-When the editing screen comes up, use the arrow keys to scroll down to the bottom of the file, then type DEVICE=C:\DOS\INTERLNK.EXE

-Hit alt then F then X then Y to exit and save the file. At this point, you no longer need the external monitor.

-Shut down the Zenith, disconnect the monitor, and install the null-modem cable to both laptops.

-Now, boot up the Austin first, then the Zenith.

-On the Austin, type C:\DOS\INTERSVR then hit enter.

-After a few seconds you should see a message on the screen telling you about your new drive letters.

Now, just use those new drive letters as you normally would. See how easy? Try it. Lemme know if any problems.

--T

Comment

intersver

Okay my desktop is a gateway older model. The datalink cable is 9 pin. I can't figure out how to use the gateway with interserver with the austin. I can't get interserver on the austin without a floppy. Wish i could fix something.

Comment

Intersvr is already on the Austin, in the dos directory. Just type c:\dos\intersvr and see what happens. It should pop open a little window that says:
                            Code:
                                              This Computer          Other Computer
                                                   (Server)                (Client)
                                            _____________________________________
                                               A:
                                               B:
                                               C:
                                               D:
                                            _____________________________________
                            ...or something similar.

Now all you have to do is get interlnk running on the other computer. You can try typing it "blind" if you feel brave. Just boot up the zenith and type-in as above except that the first thing you should do after loading the edit program is hit enter one or more times, then use the up arrow key to go back to the beginning of the file, then type-in the device= line. Save the file and exit as above, then reboot. After boot-up, check the Austin's screen again and notice the changes. Now it should show some new drive letters in the Other Computer collumn. It's all ready to go now. Good luck!

--T

Comment

Samantha,

If you can't manage to do it on your own, you could send me both computers and your cable, and I'll set it up for ya (if you can aford the postage both ways, I won't charge ya anything).

--T

Comment

Working...
                              X