• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

will buy old laptop

Hello,

Are you the same Samantha who already got a laptop from me?
Anyways, I don't have any to spare right now, but if I did, you'd be welcome to it. I am expecting a few in the mail in the next few days, so we'll see, mebbe there'll be one I don't like. Not sure about the price, but the amount you're offering will barely cover shipping costs, so I hope you're prepared for that too. I still think you should check eBay, as laptops sell there every day for a few dollar$ or less.
Right now, the only thing I have available are some tablet PCs for $50. ea, but they have smaller hard drives than what you're looking for.

--T

laptop

laptop

I will do that :) Ebay's just too hard to load on my old desktop :) Thank you terry. I have problems with hardware. :( on my laptop. :(

laptop

laptop

I will do that :) Ebay's just too hard to load on my old desktop :) Thank you terry. I have problems with hardware. :( on my laptop. :(

:) thank you

:) thank you

Yes I am the same samantha that got a laptop from you. Thank you by the way, it runs great, I just can't use the floppy drive. The other laptop i use, it's display conked out on me. Is there anyway I can combine the two together?

If you would like the battery from the zstar, you are welcome to it. I am only interested in getting one going that's reliable. :

I dunno, I've never had any problem using a LapLink (null-modem) cable to link two machines together. You could then use the drives in the machine with a bad screen as if they were actually mounted in the other machine. (It will see them as drives d:, e:, f:, etc).

--T

laplink

laplink

I have had so much trouble with laplink. :) I have a belkin dlink data trasfer cable. It still doesn't work on the laptop or the gateway e3100. I would give anything if i could get anything to work. :)

laplink

laplink

I have had so much trouble with laplink. :) I have a belkin dlink data trasfer cable. It still doesn't work on the laptop or the gateway e3100. I would give anything if i could get anything to work. :)

make sure the cable is good i had a belkin that got a short in it
parallel is way faster but serial is easier and more durable
i use laplink 3.0 it'very simple single exe file you could hook the
machines up and if the other machine has a bad screen make a
boot disk setup to start laplink with autoexec.bat.

you could also use a terminal emulator i use IVT it is not longer
in development for dos but it's still pretty good.

most laptops will hook up to a monitor with little to no problem.
if all else fails take the drive out and stick it into a desktop with a adapter.

You can get a null-modem cable from RadioShack or your favorite computer store for around five buck$. That is the easiest way, going from one serial port to the other. If you have DOS 5 or higher on your Zenith, then you have everything you need to run Interlnk/Intersvr. That is very to set up and run. You will want to run the Interlnk app on the Zenith, and the Intersvr half on the Austin laptop. First, you'll have to add a line to your config.sys file. Do you have a monitor you can borrow for a few minutes, so that you can edit the config.sys? If so, then procede as follows:

-Boot up the Zenith with the external monitor attached.

-On the Zenith, type EDIT CONFIG.SYS

-When the editing screen comes up, use the arrow keys to scroll down to the bottom of the file, then type DEVICE=C:\DOS\INTERLNK.EXE

-Hit alt then F then X then Y to exit and save the file. At this point, you no longer need the external monitor.

-Shut down the Zenith, disconnect the monitor, and install the null-modem cable to both laptops.

-Now, boot up the Austin first, then the Zenith.

-On the Austin, type C:\DOS\INTERSVR then hit enter.

-After a few seconds you should see a message on the screen telling you about your new drive letters.

Now, just use those new drive letters as you normally would. See how easy? Try it. Lemme know if any problems.

--T

intersver

intersver

Okay my desktop is a gateway older model. The datalink cable is 9 pin. I can't figure out how to use the gateway with interserver with the austin. I can't get interserver on the austin without a floppy. :( Wish i could fix something.

Intersvr is already on the Austin, in the dos directory. Just type c:\dos\intersvr and see what happens. It should pop open a little window that says:
Code:
                  This Computer          Other Computer
                       (Server)                (Client)
                   D:

...or something similar.

Now all you have to do is get interlnk running on the other computer. You can try typing it "blind" if you feel brave. Just boot up the zenith and type-in as above except that the first thing you should do after loading the edit program is hit enter one or more times, then use the up arrow key to go back to the beginning of the file, then type-in the device= line. Save the file and exit as above, then reboot. After boot-up, check the Austin's screen again and notice the changes. Now it should show some new drive letters in the Other Computer collumn. It's all ready to go now. Good luck!

--T

Samantha,

If you can't manage to do it on your own, you could send me both computers and your cable, and I'll set it up for ya (if you can aford the postage both ways, I won't charge ya anything).

--T

No, really! I can have it working in 5 minutes over the phone if ya like. (It looks like a lot of trouble when you see it printed out like that, but it's really quite simple to actually do it).

--T

thank you :)

thank you :)

That sounds like a wonderful offer and very nice. I will keep working with it, and if i need your help, i will give you a holler. :) is there anyway I can fix the lcd screen on the zenith? there are two wires hangin out of the back of the hinge, and the other hinge was locked up and the medal hinge was stripped from the other side. I fixed the display last week so that it would work, but my nephew kept messing with it and finally it conked. :( i have been trying to work with it every since to get it straightened out. If you would still like the battery, it's not charged, but it's chargeable. I don't use it. I just use this one by it's power supply.

It's kinda hard to tell about fixing it without actually seeing it, and mebbe even dis-assembling it. Best guess would be that you probably can't do it on your own tho.
Shoot me your email address and I can point out any eBay items that look interesting. That requires a lot less hardware than browsing eBay yourself.

--T

Back