• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Jupiter Ace - Will I, Won't I

CrazyGuy

Sorry for signing up just to make this self-serving post, but I'm not really a vintage computer enthusiast. I have a few vintage computers, but mainly because I actually used them at one point and don't throw stuff away :)

Which brings me to my point:

I have a Jupiter Ace, not bad cosmetically (keyboard clean and all stickers in place), working, with original power supply, 16k RAM pack, sample tape, 3 x 3k games tapes (=6 games) , 4 x 19k tapes/games (inc chess). I loaded a bunch of the games up the other night to check it all out. No manuals dammit dammit dammit, though I have to believe they are in some long forgotten corner/shelf/box somewhere here.

Anyway, we bought this mid 80s when we couldn't afford a Spectrum (LOL) but it's limitations were quickly realised and Spectrum duly followed (but that's another story). Ace went in a box in the cupboard for almost 20 years.

I used to see the occasional Ace on ebay and marvel at the prices they were getting, but looking recently I couldn't even find any under "Completed Listings" so I guess they are even rarer now. Looking around vintage computer forums it seems they are entering the very rare, desirable category.

So, there are probably people out there who would value a decent Jupiter Ace highly - is this the right time to sell? What kind of price is it likely to fetch? I don't like parting with old stuff, but I'm not really a collector - should I sell?

Thanks for your advice :)

You said it -- desirable and collectible. As to whether this is the right time to sell, I can only predict that they are becomming more valuable every day. Consider it like any other financial investment -- the longer you hold on to it, the more it'll be worth.

--T

Well, of course, there's always the option of becoming a vintage computer enthusiast. I mean, you've had it for 20+ years, isn't it time to get it some friends so it won't be so lonely ?
I'd wait, hopefully at some point some one will come up with a "Antiques Roadshow" for computers. Look what "Antiques Roadshow" did for old non-computer junk.
patscc

@patscc - it has had some transitory friends over the years, as various versions of spectrums, MSX, Vic 20s have come and gone. It still has a few Spectrum oddities keeping it company, but they're not really in the same class.

@Terry - thanks for focussing my thinking. I guess what this boils down to is a) do I need the money so must sell this investment? A: No.
b) could it buy me something I would get more personal/family pleasure from? A: probably yes.

But that depends on the actual value.

Has anyone seen a Jupiter Ace changing hands recently? Any idea how much they are going for? I saw one on another retro site for $400 + $100 RAM pack but I don't know if it sold for that.

Thanks.

The last few I've seen on eBay were approaching the $200.00 range, but there hasn't been one show up there for several months now, so you might get an even better price.

--T

I will & I am....

I will & I am....

See Ebay.co.uk item #5207273963 for 2 working Jupiter Aces + bits. Lots of interest already... Ends next week (Fri 17 June 2005)

I honestly did not know there was such a market for them but I heard there were c.2000 left from the original 8000 made.

I wonder what else is in my dad's shed. (He knows they are being sold by the way)

Back