• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM 5161 PC

bamboowave

A friend of mine gave me an old computer a while ago, it is a IBM 5161 PC with 2 hard drives, 1 monitor, and 1 keyboard, with all the cables. But it doesn't have a power cord.

Anybody interested, please let me know. I am thinking to sell it. Any offer will be considered.

Thanks

Frank

Can you check the model number on that? Is it really a 5161, or is it a 5160?

The 5160 is a PC XT. The 5161 is an expansion unit for a 5150 or 5160, but is not a full fledged PC in it's own right. (It doesn't have a CPU.)

Mike

Terry Yager said:
If it is the 5161 Expansion Chassis, with cable, then I'm interested.

--T

I'll trade it for a powercord. O well, two powercords!

:lol:

(kidding)

Yep, I double checked it, it is 5161 with two expansion units, keyboard and monitor, and cables.

Anybody interested, send me a sealed bid, :) then we will start from there...

Frank

I don't know how to value such an item. They are not common, but there isn't a tremendous demand for it either.

If you want to tell me what you want for it, then I know where to start without potentially insulting you. I can be reached at mbbrutman at yahoo.com. Other than that, I really don't like 'making offers' in a situation like this. I'd like to know what you want, make the transaction, and be done with it. Just a personal preference, that's all.

Frank (Bamboowave) and I are working on the details ..

It's a 5150 (original IBM PC) and a 5161 with either a CGA or EGA monitor. Two floppies and whatever hard disks are in the 5161.

This is a situation where I'd really like to pick it up locally - shipping this monster is going to be tough.

I need some quick help ..

How does one arrange for payment on a transaction like this? Frank and I don't know each other, and I'm a little leery about sending money to somebody I don't know. eBay isn't involved.

Escrow services are more geared to larger transactions.

Any ideas? We're talking about $100 to $150, depending on the shipping.

It's a 5150 and 5161 with monitor. It is untested, and cosmetically it's not in great shape. I think the price is right, but wow I'd like to see it first and I really don't want to get burnt on a transaction. I can afford to lose that money (and I probably wont), but part of happiness involves not setting yourself up for failure. :)

Don't be shy - send a private message if you want to post something inappropriate for a public forum. And no, I'm not hiring a private investigator over this. :)

You mentioned local pickup...is that an option? That would be best for all concerned parties, if possible. I do a lot of e-biz, but I still prefer old-fashioned f2f when possible. When you're not local enough, sometimes ya just gotta trust the other party & hope for the best.

--T

Local pickup would be the preferred way to do this, but that's not an option. We're 1800 miles apart.

400 miles I can arrange easily .. 1800 is out of range for a local pickup.

(Terry - I think you are close enough to be in danger .. I have a pilots license now.)

If anyones still wanting anything like this Ive got 1 of the expansion units untested and 3 tested and working for sure of the 5150's and I THINK Ive got about 20 more of the 5150's that should work but are untested.

crowz said:
If anyones still wanting anything like this Ive got 1 of the expansion units untested and 3 tested and working for sure of the 5150's and I THINK Ive got about 20 more of the 5150's that should work but are untested.

Well.. if you are in Europe...

I have one cable for sure. I have no idea at the moment if I have anymore of the cables but theres a possibility.

As for locations, Im in the usa. Alabama to be precise.

Im going to make a list of the stuff with some pictures this weekend and post them on a website so people can get an idea of the stuff Ive got for sale.

Would be interested in trading for any non ibm stuff I dont already have.

Im interested in apple, amiga, atari, c64 and c128, trs 80 and color, etc.

I seem to be tripping over 5150s. For some reason I haven't been able to find a 5160. I haven't looked to hard though.

They are essentially equivalent, except a 5160 (XT) is easier to work on because it has eight slots instead of 5. My 5150 has the floppy controller, a hard disk controller, CGA&Mono combo card, memory card, and one other card - she's full.

Frank and I have worked out the shipping details. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the interface card and cable are functional. Anything else I can deal with. I also have the technical reference for the 5161, so I should be able to do some debugging if the need arises.

Terry - As for picking up Peanuts from Michigan, that'll wait for another week .. Btw, were any of those Racore units, or were they all simpler machines?

(I love giving rides in the Cessna .. besides loving to fly, it's a priviledge to be able to take over people along.)

Back