• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

8" Dysan Head Alignment Disk on Ebay

Would anyone know if this Dysan 360/2A disk is single sided or double sided? If single sided, how much is it like a Shugart SA120 (does each track have the same patterns written on them?)

Lou

Last edited:
Accurite Tcchnologies also make these Analog Alignment Diskettes.
They even use the same numbering scheme.
Their 360/2A is double sided (will still work fine for a SS drive though), and it shows as 38 radial tracks, and 76 Azimuth Burst Tracks. It can be used on a Shugart 800 or 801.
Accurite's disks are $ 200 each, which is why I made the post !

I don't know if it would work on the SA120 though.

So, if the Dysan or Accurite 360/2A works in an SA800/801 (single sided drives) and if it is a double sided disk, does it have sector index holes at both the single sided and double sided hole locations?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I have various SS and DS 8" drives and want to do "proper" alignments. If one disk can do both SS and DS, that would be great.

Lou

Last edited:
Dysan made a lot of different types of alignment diskettes. I've got an 8" 800-400 "Maxi" alignment diskette here that appears to be a digital alignment beast.

It contains various items on various tracks. About 8 different tests are encoded on various track ranges. There are sector offset and azimuth rotation, head load timing. It would seem that this would be easier to use than an AAD.

There were also various diskettes made for various systems. For example, I have a 5.25" diskette that identifies itself as a North Star alignment diskette, calibrated to the "Silver Standard", whatever that was.

If anyone buys one of these, PM me.
As soon as I saw them, I grabbed one that had the box for the disk, and the manual (for a few bucks more), but there was only one of those.
If you buy one of these "bare" disks, I can scan the manual, and email it to you.

I'm considering buying one...I've got several 8-inch drives from old Tektronix terminals, that have been sitting in a non-heated warehouse for years. I contacted the seller, and they said they can ship it in a flat-rate envelope if anyone's got problems with the shipping amount (it always gets me when someone's trying to charge more than double what it costs to ship an item!)

From what I've read, it sounds like you need an oscilloscope to use these alignment diskettes, right?

So, if the Dysan or Accurite 360/2A works in an SA800/801 (single sided drives) and if it is a double sided disk, does it have sector index holes at both the single sided and double sided hole locations?

Lou

I just received mine, and yup, it's got two holes.

Dysan AAD.jpg

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I have two Tektronix 4907 8 inch floppy disk systems that will not exchange media - so I think I need a SS alignment disk for hard-sectored (34) 8 inch floppies.

Anyone want to sell their Dysan 360/2A diskette to me - or let me borrow it? Yes, I have two oscilloscopes :) I've got a Shugart SA-501 service manual, and the Tektronix 4907 service manual which included a Tek BASIC test program, but I imagine the Dysan instructions would be helpful too.

Thanks,

Monty

Wow. I've never seen, nor heard of a 34-hard sector 8" disk. Where on earth do you find media?

I think he miss counted. Most likely 32 plus index.
The real question is are the holes in the center or the around the outside of the biscuit.
Either single sided or double sided alignment disk will work but you might have to punch a hole in the envelope, is all.
Dwight

Dwight is correct - there are only 32 hard sector holes located around the center of the disk.

Here is a figure I found in the 3M Diskette Reference Manual dated May 1983 that I found on the web - mine is the second one in the first column.

3M Fig 9 hard and soft sector floppy disks.jpg

Here is a photo of one of my 8 inch floppies - single sided, single density, hard sectored:

8 inch floppy disk.jpg

Note that you can see two of the sector holes above the center.

The Tektronix 4907 manual calls for a SS DD (double density) disk - I had no issue formatting these disks as double density.

Here is a screenshot of the formatted capacity of 630,784 bytes - 77 tracks of 32 sectors with 256 bytes.

DiskFileListandSize.jpg

Monty

Back