• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

for sale or trade IBM system 36 5363 servers (2) with original bools disks tapes

markn902

Like it says there 2 5363 servers with all original docs even the original purchase proposal that went before city hall in 1990. Was used by city and law enforcement I believe.
I would really appreciate any feedback here on this I would like to
A. Sell this on Ebay but I have no idea what to ask for it and shipping would be somewhat expensive based on weight.

B.I would like to trade this to someone who really wants it and can use it for a server that I can host a website out of my garage. :) Why would I want to do that? well I am a little odd to start but am looking to start a auction type website and everything I read is saying to get a dedicated server and rather than spend a ton of money for a VDS I thought well why not? (we all have our hobbies I suppose)

Even if you dont have an offer some feedback would be highly appreciated DSC01554.jpgDSC01551.jpgDSC01552.jpg

I also have some AS400e server parts memory circuit boards etc.. if anyone is interested

Mark

I would think that running a server from home might be a problem for an auction website. One reason for using commercial server space, dedicated or otherwise, is that these companies make a point of (and compete on) having excellent connectivity to the rest of the world. Many offer co-location which might be the cheapest option. They also set up their own trunk lines and things which are out of reach for most people's home connection and many ISPs. You certainly don't want to irritate auction customers by them not being able to place a bid in that 2 second interval before closing. Anyway, just a thought.

I would think that running a server from home might be a problem for an auction website. One reason for using commercial server space, dedicated or otherwise, is that these companies make a point of (and compete on) having excellent connectivity to the rest of the world. Many offer co-location which might be the cheapest option. They also set up their own trunk lines and things which are out of reach for most people's home connection and many ISPs. You certainly don't want to irritate auction customers by them not being able to place a bid in that 2 second interval before closing. Anyway, just a thought.

Guys, it's a System 36. Network connectivity is going to be the least of your problems. ;-0

Would this imply the drives have been removed?

I don't think so my wife works for the city (that's how I got them) along with some other used PC stuff mostly dell. Anyway all of the Dell stuff including the servers had their drives removed and the red and black as400e was gutted too but for some reason he left the other IBM stuff alone. There were a couple of old IBM pc's (IBM Stylex personal computer) and some other IBM pcs as well as the 3477? (or was it 3488?) infowindow logic units. I can definitely check.

You make a good point

DSC01837.jpg
The tape drives appear to be there on that one but I just realized that my two keys go to just one server :( oh well like I said I don't think the IT guy did much with them they were in storage long before the city had even approved an IT department a few years ago. But there may be something wrong with them I don't know and have know way of telling for sure.

I've got one that is probably missing some of the stuff, but a freight carrier from your location to mine would be expensive for the weight of the system(s)...

Guys, it's a System 36. Network connectivity is going to be the least of your problems. ;-0

Of course, but he wanted to trade it. Since he then wouldn't have it any more, I assumed that meant he was going to get something functional to replace it. :) I just made a guess at parsing the following cryptic string:

B.I would like to trade this to someone who really wants it and can use it for a server that I can host a website out of my garage.

What does that mean?

Yeah freight is expensive.. and yes Ole Juul you understood me correctly and made a great point. Oh well wishful thinking and all of that. I don't know what to do with these things I guess I will stick them on Ebay but the weight of them makes that difficult (but not impossible) I would rather them go as a set with their books and discs though. No matter they have been in my garage for some time now and I am sure something will come up :). What do you guys think about the missing key? Should I call a locksmith or are old IBM keys something people sell? any ideas are welcomed

Mark

Yeah, it's a shame; I've scrapped around ten servers of various makes and age as well as some vintage Cromemco S-100 systems because the freight costs are so prohibitive.

I don't know about your systems but I've usually been able to open boxes without a key somehow with a little gentle persuasion; once you can get at the lock you can either have a key made for it or (what I usually do) just remove all or most of the tumblers.

Maybe if no bites elsewhere, I can figure out what parts I need, that are light enough to ship...

ok I don't know my way around them so you would have to be pretty specific if you are into IBMs then you should take ( or you can have) the manuals and 2.5/ 3.5 floppys they are still in original box & I am sure you can do something with them.
Also where do you live? in the US?

...Also where do you live? in the US?

To someone who knows geography, I am within the continental United States. A seller in California did want to charge me extra to get through "customs" one time though. I replied that I was just as far north as he was.

Is the System 36 still available? Also do you have a terminal? I would be interested in trading for a new Intel based server.

I need that server

I need that server

Please send me an email with pictures and specifications of this machine. Thanks

Hm.. sucks I missed that before. Would have loved the documentation. I have two of these holding up a table and 6 other vintage computers right now heh. I've always wondered whether to offload them or try and get them doing something. About the only thing I did was plop an old video card into one so I could confirm that it was doing anything. An older gentleman told me that wouldn't work but it did do a ram count, etc and output some basic information on the monitor. From there though at the time I didn't have a terminal or cables to get further.

Back