• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

NCR - Card Random Access Memory (CRAM) Deck Wanted

jvb911

I'm old schoolfrom the early '70's and used to work on 2nd generation NCR 315 systems. I would like to purchase a 'CRAM' deck for old times sake... can any help?

I have a deck, with 1 missing card. And I am willing to sell. Along with it comes my grade 13 project detailing the NCR 315. I wrote my first ever program for that machine in 1968. My teacher refused to believe :-(
My brother worked for NCR on these machines, after graduating from cash register repairs. I do recall the amazing sound of a CRAM operating, esp with the door open! Just don't be there when 2 cards drop, the screeching was aweful as the drum ground to a halt.

Gerrit

I seem to recall that the blasted things would unceremoniously spit a card out the reject chute right on to the floor (if you didn't have a box sitting under it to catch duds).

Do any 315 units exist?

IBM had a mag card typewriter that superseded the MT/ST.

I've kind of got a fascination for some of the old oddball I/O devices. The IBM Data Cell drive, the Photostore (used at Lawrence Livermore), the beer-can-in-a-pigeon-coop storage unit (CDC made one also). CDC had the SCROLL, EBAM memory and the STAR Drum, none of which ever made it into production.

Good times...

I had the pleasure of working on Univac 432, 1782 and Fastrand Drums. The 432's would not tolerate a mistake in bearing change. When they seized the belt would disintegrate into a cloud of rubber dust. And you threw the unit out as the bearing had twisted the shaft. Not a pleasant thing to tell your manager :-(

How about 96 column key punches? Or Univac 1001, which had 2 1000 cpm readers feeding potentially into the center merge pocket. Fun rebuilding those, wasted a lot of cards getting it set up correctly.

Gerrit

I never had to service any of the stuff, but for a short time, I did use an 1108 with a Fastrand II installed on a building's second floor. Big mistake--anytime a large truck rumbled by on the street outside, the "ping" detectors would go nuts.

I despised the drum printers on the 1108--the characters were so badly vertically displaced on printouts that it would give me a headache. And it wasn't just the local maintenance people messing up--the systems documentation provided by Univac was equally hard to read. It made me appreciate the effort IBM put into producing the 1403.

I found some photos of the NCR 315 and CRAM units that I took in 1965. I wrote my first program on this machine. Quite a privilege as I was only in grade 11 at the time.

Attachments

• Scan-101120-0014.jpg
    Scan-101120-0014.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Scan-101120-0015.jpg
    Scan-101120-0015.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Scan-101120-0016.jpg
    Scan-101120-0016.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Scan-101120-0017.jpg
    Scan-101120-0017.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Scan-101120-0018.jpg
    Scan-101120-0018.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1
jvb911,
I'm an ex-NCR employee and have a complete CRAM deck. What do you think it's worth?
Bill

Does anyone happen to still have any CRAM decks for sale? I would be interested in buying one/some.

I don't have a deck, but you're welcome to the ten or so cards I do have. I used to work in Quality Engineering at NCR, and also have 25 silver CRAM cards that were being tested to replace the black ones. They may have been chromium oxide, but I don't remember from that long ago.

CRAM Cards

CRAM Cards

I still have about ten cards if anyone wants them. I used to work in Quality Engineering at NCR, and also have 24 experimental silver coated CRAM cards. I think they were chromium oxide, but don't recall from that long ago.

Back