• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Data General One Model 2

Sparky

Hi there
I have a Data General One Model 2 lap top (35122) for sale.
It is a twin floppy drive model with green screen (not backlit).
It will come with a power supply and a disk with MSDOS v3.20.
The DG works, but the keep alive memory button battery is flat so gives an error 11 on start up. It simply means it has forgotten the date and other settings!
It is not in perfect condition, as it was used by Rover in the 80's and 90's for calibration of the Rover designed engine management systems.
It has EMS ELECTRONICS stencil painted on to the lid.
I have deliberately not tried to clean it because I don't want to cause any damage to the plastic.
I am located in the midlands near Rugby in the UK.
If anyone is interested, please let me know, otherwise it will have to be recycled, which does seem a shame, but I am told I need the space!
Sparky.

Are you sure the backlight is broken? It is NOT turned on by default when the computer powers up.

The command combination to turn it on is the 'Cmd' and the '+' key (both on the right column of the keyboard.) Also 'Cmd' and 'PgUp' to increase contrast.

If this turns it on (and up) then you'll get a better sale price, or it might convince you to keep it.

Paul.

Hi Guys
This is an LCD green back ground, black text, screen.
On this model 2, the screen is not back lit.
The back light was introduced on the model 2T.
So, as far as I can make out, without running loads of tests, it functions as it is intended.
The exception is the battery pack, which is NiCad and no doubt worn out.
However, this is easily rectified with, if memory serves, 10 C size NiCad cells soldered and taped together.
I haven't checked, but its a fair bet that this has been done at some point.
With good cells, this will run 6 to 8 hours on a single charge since there is no hard disk and no back light.
Not bad for the 1980's.
Cheers...

Edit 22:59
The power connector on the back of these is notorious for breaking the solder connections to the PCB.
Again, its not too difficult to fix with a little disassembly.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Back