• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Kaypro 2x - complete setup

Got a serial number for our Kaypro Registry we are starting ?

Great pictures.

Why is coiled keyboard coard connected to two [2] ports on back ?

Looks like it has a Netherlands label underneath the Kaypro label.

Any more details on history, pictures of mainboard, etc.

Thanks !

Frank

Got a serial number for our Kaypro Registry we are starting ?

Great pictures.

Why is coiled keyboard coard connected to two [2] ports on back ?

Looks like it has a Netherlands label underneath the Kaypro label.

Any more details on history, pictures of mainboard, etc.

Thanks !

Frank

Thanks Frank. It's serial number 244379.

The back does have both Kaypro's US address and their European office's address in the printed (painted) letters on the back. I'm not sure, but I would assume this is standard.

You're right, the keyboard cord is plugged into two ports on the back - that was for storage while you lugged the machine to your next location.

I don't have a ton of details on this particular machine. It was an eBay purchase in April, 2003. I was pretty pleased with it, considering the full set of original software disks and manuals. I later picked up the Kaypro technical manual. One of the disk drives didn't work, so I had to replace it (which was challenging, since I had to find an exact matching replacement, the unusual Epson DSDD drive).

It's nice - I struggled with my decision to sell it, but in the end, time and space are its enemy. I'd like to see someone who is looking for a decent machine for their hobby/collection find it and make an offer.

Gotta move it - price reduced

Gotta move it - price reduced

Gents, the end is near. I'm lowering the price to $175 + shipping.

At this price it won't last long!

They are nice machines... I've a PC-compatible Kaypro 4 purchased from Chromedome45 awhile back. Beautiful machine. One of these days, I'm hoping to get around to writing out CP/M to try out with my C128. I've never actually used CP/M before - wish I could justify the space to have a dedicated machine to run it!

Yup, Kaypros are really great little CP/M machines. I use my Kaypro II for writing 8080/8085/Z80 assembly language programs for various other machines/devices, including my 8085 SBC. The main advantage, for me, is the size and portability. For instance, I took my Kaypro to my parents' house last time we visited on a long-weekend vacation and used it to write a few CP/M routines for use on my CompuPro S-100 system. Much easier to take a Kaypro with you than a large S-100 system, and I enjoy working on native hardware (i.e. the Kaypro) rather than in an emulated environment.

This one looks like a very nice, clean and complete example, but I don't know enough about the current Kaypro market to say whether or not the price is a good deal. I paid less than $50 for my Kaypro II, but it didn't come with the amount of service manuals or original software that this one comes with.

I use my Kaypro for quick disk copies of 360kb media as it's much easier than digging the XT out of the stack, hooking it up, and doing the same thing (and I prefer not to use my 1.2mb drives for making copies of 360kb media just to avoid any read problems afterwards).

Also love just setting it up... it's still small enough to sit on the small wood table I use as a "tv tray" so that I'm not tied to my little office.

I paid less than $50 for my Kaypro II, but it didn't come with the amount of service manuals or original software that this one comes with.

If you're looking at auction, his price isn't out of line for the system in fully-working condition. The manuals especially seem to be hard to come by... I'm still on the look out for a set for my Kaypro, though I doubt that I'll run across them anytime soon (which is alright - I just like to have as much original manuals/paperwork as possible with my systems). Hopefully he'll get the asking price... honestly, it's a good thing that he's not closer to me.. I'd be sorely tempted to pick it up. Maybe be able to talk him down a little more since he'd save time and packing materials :)

Back