• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM Aptiva Media Console

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
Just pipcked up an IBM Media Console, part#75H8898. Seems to be in good shape but I have no way to test it. It's supposed to click down and shut but it won't stay down. There's a cd-rom and a floppy drive in it. Large centronics style scsi cable, headphone style plug and jacks for mouse and keyboard. Not really sure how this thing is supposed to operate. If noone wants it then I strip it for parts.

Shipping plus $1 takes it. I'll guesstimate shipping at around $10. I can get an exact quote from the post office if anyone's interested.

Sure, it looks just like this one, but with no heavy scratches and cleaner with some kind of headphone-style plug hanging off the back along with the scsi cable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-Aptiva-medi...oryZ3666QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and mine is part # 75H8898

/EDIT I ran a search, just out of curiosity to see how much the Aptiva systems go for-- what makes them so cheap?? I mean, I saw on ebay 700mhz machines going for like, a penny. Why is this? I can see them being very viable machines. So what gives??

I had seen the eBay one and was interested in it because it looked to be SCSI, but I couldn't find anything that could definitively tell me that it was SCSI. So what is it? Have you tried to put it on a SCSI card to see what it does? Which OEM made the floppy and the CD-ROM? What are their model numbers?

I'll open it up tomorrow, too tired tonight and don't feel real good either. Good questions, and I'll see what the guts of this thing reveal tomorrow afternoon.

I took the thing apart and looked at it. I don't know if it's a scsi cable or not, but the headphone jack is for the sound out on the cd-rom. The cd-rom itself is not scsi, but IDE, 8X, part #76H0478, and the fdd is just a normal fdd without the faceplate, the kind that has the faceplate built onto whatever case it's in, part # 75H9549. No power cord coming off it, I guess it goes through that fat centronics port. So if anybody wants it, shipping plus $1.00.

I took the thing apart and looked at it. I don't know if it's a scsi cable or not, but the headphone jack is for the sound out on the cd-rom. The cd-rom itself is not scsi, but IDE, 8X, part #76H0478, and the fdd is just a normal fdd without the faceplate, the kind that has the faceplate built onto whatever case it's in, part # 75H9549. No power cord coming off it, I guess it goes through that fat centronics port. So if anybody wants it, shipping plus $1.00.

Interesting .. it's IDE with a custom interface card. The cable just screamed 'SCSI', but I guess not ...

Mike

I saw that page on a search but didn't look cause I thought it was specifically cause it was about the motherboard. I'm not gonnahold out for an Aptiva, though, I can't afford the space. So it's a good floppy and a decent IDE CD drive, both black faced or door-ed.

Back