• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM PC Haul

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
Hello All,

If you are into old IBM PC stuff have I got a deal for you!

I was recently contacted by someone who had the following to say:

I inherited quite a lot of vintage pc stuff. I believe there are 2 complete IBM PCs (the first one)--tons of software, books, peripheral hardware (various joysticks, cables and such), and boxes of network cards and so on.

If you are interested, let me know. I'll try to photograph everything and post it on my server.

It would be quite a lot to ship, so ideally it would be great if there's anyone in my neck of the woods (St. Louis--the Midwest in general) who wants it. I really need to find a home for it all. I am not selling it--but if it ships, I'd need someone to pay at least some of the shipping costs.

Follow-up conversations yielded:

I'm not so interested in selling any of it. I got it for nothing, and I'm happy to pass it along (as long as whoever takes it is willing to take it all).

I'll post some photos tomorrow some time so you can see what everything is.

If there's anyone in or near St. Louis that's interested, they're welcome to it!

He posted the pictures at:

http://joethejuggler.com/VintagePCStuff/

I'm pretty sure the PC is an original 16-64K motherboard unit which is nice and the expansion chassis itself is also quite desireable.

Add in all of the software and other stuff and this is quite a nice haul for someone into early PCs.

Of course you're also going to grab some later x86 boxes to sweeten the deal.

I can't tell from the pictures but I wouldn't bet money against there being a copy of DOS 1.0 in the stack as well. Most of the 16K PCs shipped with that or 1.1!

Please don't bug Joe if you can't take everything or if you're trying to arrange something odd. If you can go and grab this gear from him please email joeNOSPAM@NOSPAMjoethejuggler.com and good luck!

Erik

Erik said:
I'm pretty sure the PC is an original 16-64K motherboard unit which is nice and the expansion chassis itself is also quite desireable.

I do believe you're correct, definitely not a "B" chassis. Someone is gonna make a helluva score (I can't afford the freight). That 16-64K mobo alone is worth $100.00 or more.

Isn't there a large brick & morter computer museum it that area (my memory fails me)?

--T

So is anybody going to rescue it? It really needs local pickup.

It not, I might contact him to save the 5150, 5153 and the expansion unit. I really don't need it as I have one already and I don't want to hoard, but it really should be saved by somebody who cares.

Mike

mbbrutman said:
So is anybody going to rescue it? It really needs local pickup.

It not, I might contact him to save the 5150, 5153 and the expansion unit. I really don't need it as I have one already and I don't want to hoard, but it really should be saved by somebody who cares.

Mike

I get the impression he's not really interested in splitting up the collection, but if he does, I got dibs on the Expansion Chassis (you already have one, Mike).

--T

And that's exactly what I said ... "as I have one already and I don't want to hoard, but it really should be saved by somebody who cares."

So I guess that makes you somebody who cares. ;-)

I'm pretty sure we can find someone local to collect all of this stuff. I've posted this to the forum for starters but if nobody grabs this gear by the weekend I'm going to disseminate the information far and wide! :)

Erik

Then by logical deduction I don't need to be told that somebody else might have dibbs, since I have already acknowledged having one and not wanting to hoard? :wink:

I'd love to get a 16k 5150 again...I sold mine for beer money at Uni ;)

but I just can't justify the shipping charges. :(

EDIT:

Which reminds me, that was a good story. In the early 90s I used to buy 5150s and mac 512ks from the U of Michigan junk shop for $5 a piece and resell them for beer and pizza. ;)

mbbrutman said:
Then by logical deduction I don't need to be told that somebody else might have dibbs, since I have already acknowledged having one and not wanting to hoard? :wink:

Having multiple Expansion Chassis probably wouldn't be considered hoarding anyways, would it? I mean, ya can't have too much disk storage...

--T

Actually, if I found another one it would go to a PCjr. Right now when I plug an expansion card in has to kind of 'hang out there' ... A lot of people used the old 5161 expansion chassis for the Jr, as it desperately needed it.

As for this 5161, I noticed the cable was in one of the boxes. The weak point of the 5161 was the cable - they were usually shoved up against a wall pretty tight, and after years like that the wires would be broken. With 60+ conductors that is a hard cable to reproduce. I have the Tech Ref if anybody needs it.

(Mercifully my cable wasn't kinked ...)

Yeah, I was kinda thinking along those lines too...you'd probably have to take the whole lot, just to insure that you got the right cable for the expansion chassis (I know how hard they are to come by). ...And who wants to go thru and re-solder 63 connections (Wow, lookit all the pretty wires!)?

--T

Re: 5150

Re: 5150

mryon said:
I'd love to get a 16k 5150 again...I sold mine for beer money at Uni ;)

but I just can't justify the shipping charges. :(

EDIT:

Which reminds me, that was a good story. In the early 90s I used to buy 5150s and mac 512ks from the U of Michigan junk shop for $5 a piece and resell them for beer and pizza. ;)

I have a pretty good story too. Around the same timeframe, I used to raid the dumpster of someone who made weekly trips to Ann Arbor, to buy-up all of U of M's computer surplus, so I used to get all my vintage goodies (everything he considered un-sellable in his store) for free.

--T

Back