• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM 5155 $50 Denver

twodogs

Working computer with 5 1/4 floppy drive and internal hard drive (of unknown functionality). No takers on Craigslist and I don't really know how (or want) to put it on eBay and mess with shipping. Anyone here interested?

John
Denver, Co

Last edited:
That's a really acceptable price for locals. Do you have some pictures of it working? Most folks here will already know, but IBMs first portable personal computer. Even without software you can throw yourself into the basic rom.

Here it is this morning booting MS Adventure off floppy. I don't know much about hard drives on these old machines. It gives a 1701 error, then boots to floppy. The hard drive spins up and blinks, so maybe a configuration problem, maybe the hard drive card (I have another). Can't go wrong for $50 though - I've seen keyboards sell for more than that!
IBM5155.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely a good buy, I hope that if nobody local picks it up you'll consider the shipping, though the weight of one of these is a little prohibitive lately...

I remember having a similar problem with the HDD in mine, I seem to remember just having to format the thing. Though if I'm remembering correctly the 5155 BIOS won't boot the system from the HDD anyways...

If I were more local I would grab that as a spare in a heartbeat, mine is showing some lines across the CRT that I don't entirely trust...

Last edited:
Working computer with 5 1/4 floppy drive and internal hard drive (of unknown functionality). No takers on Craigslist and I don't really know how (or want) to put it on eBay and mess with shipping. Anyone here interested?

John
Denver, Co

I'd snatch in a heart beat if I was there. If you decide you are willing to ship let me know. Do you have any of the accessories, books, carrying case, etc?

I have no accessories for it. Its a nice machine, but I found the 5150 that I was originally looking for. I just don't have room for the 5155 among the other electronic gear that my long-suffering spouse has to put up with. If no takers locally, I would ship it if someone could walk me through the process. I see people shipping stereo gear and computers on ebay for around $40 and I wonder how. UPS would probably charge $50 to pack it and another $75 to ship it.

Back