• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

C80287XL Math Co-Procesor for 286 motherboards

barney

Experienced Member
I'm selling "C80287XL Math Co-Processors" for 286 motherboards. This particular model is the best Math Co-Processor made for the 286. It's able to automatically match the speed of whatever 286 processor you throw at it. It's a 40 Pin Ceramic DIP and is in good working condition. Don't leave that Math Co-Processor socket empty on your motherboard - Soup your system to the max and install one of these.

Info on this Processor at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KL_Intel_i80287XL_Big_Markings.jpg

I'm selling them for $15 each plus $5 shipping.
I have 6 for sale.
Email if your interrested.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a Harris 80286-16.

I think that 80287 FPUs ideally run @ 1/2 to 2/3 of the CPU speed so an 80287-10 would be a good fit for an 80286-16 or an 80286-20.

The 287XL works at up to 12 MHz, as far as I know.

The 287XL runs at 1/2 the clock speed if pin 39 is pulled low, where the standard 287 will only run at 1/3 the clock speed if the same pin is pulled low. If the pin is high, then both runs at 1/1 the clock speed.

The main difference is that the 287XL is a 387SX in disguise. Programs will therefore see and treat it as a 387 instead of a 287. Another thing to note is that it is to a larger extent asynchronous to the 286, and will not monitor the execution of ESCAPE instructions as a regular 287 would.

Last edited:
Hey Barney! Have you tried putting one of these in your Wang? If so, did it work? I'm asking because I put an IIT 2C87 (rated for 20 MHz) in mine and it has problems when running at 16 MHz. At 8 MHz it works just fine though. I don't know what the problem is. :confused:

Yes, I did. It's on my Wang and running beautifully. Best damn chip I ever used before.

Barney

If anybody is still interrested, I still have 2 or 3 more of these Math Co-processors I'm selling. PM me if your interrested. Thanks.

Barney

Back