• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Kenbak replica on eBay

how to not get it quite right

how to not get it quite right

This isn't mine, and if it were, well, it probably wouldn't be on ebay. But I don't have this kinda throw-away money...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENBAK-1-Computer-/320977280254

I know it's a replica, but even so.

Bizarre mix of technology. Machine tooled sockets, and resistors. Slightly wrong push button switches, LEDs and a Chinese power supply.
ICs with date codes from the mid 70's to 90's.

Considering this particular replica was most likely acquired thru this web site:

http://www.kenbakkit.com/index.html

I'd not snub it with the "how to not get it quite right". From what I recall, the replica developer worked closely with the original designer.

It'd be a replica kit made by Grant Stockly (which is who azog referenced). Yes he worked with the original creator closely who was supporting of the project and helped debug the design, etc. If you were lucky enough he also autographed a few of the kits as well with his blessing.

Instead of buying one on Ebay for $2500, why not buy a new kit from Grant _now_? $999.

-Tor

Instead of buying one on Ebay for $2500, why not buy a new kit from Grant _now_? $999.

Indeed, $1501 for assembly is a bit rich.

I'm confused though. I went to the "Welcome to KenbakKit.com!" site - and there's no kit there. There are some instruction and assembly manuals and perhaps that is what they mean by "a kit".

Yea, I actually looked this up, altho it was a couple of years ago, and even then, there was no kit available. Considering the last post was dated 2007, I figured the run was sold out...

It's true that the website isn't updated, but Grant has posted a message about new availability on his forum, and he has already shipped out an order form to those people who previously sent him email about being interested.

I've been in line for an Altair kit but I may unfortunately have to pass - the finances at this moment is stretched in other directions (the Altair kit is $1500 + any extra boards + shipping, to Norway that's probably $300, and on top of that it's 25% VAT and customs charges. Argh.)

He also has the 680 kit available now ($999 IIRC). He doesn't have as many 680 and Kenbak kits as Altair kit IIRC.

-Tor

I seem to remember that on Grant's replica, it had writing somewhere that clearly stated it was a replica. The one on eBay says Series 2, but I can't see any other marking to indicate it is a replica. Am I misremembering things, or did the builder hide any additional markings? The seller indeed mentions replica once but in auction title and header almost makes it sound like a genuine Kenbak for the lesser informed.

I don't understand why stuff like Kenbak and Scelbi systems get so much attention, but everyone ignores the National Semiconductor IMP-16 from 1973. A 16-bit CPU using PMOS LSI ICs.
IMP-16_Front_Panel.JPG
True, it was basically a 4-chip set, but even the 8008 and 8080 were multichip affairs in reality.

I don't understand why stuff like Kenbak and Scelbi systems get so much attention, but everyone ignores the National Semiconductor IMP-16 from 1973. A 16-bit CPU using PMOS LSI ICs. True, it was basically a 4-chip set, but even the 8008 and 8080 were multichip affairs in reality.

Just some interesting info about the computer Chuck pointed out.

Hey Chuck, could you please give me one example of a use for this computer?

Back