• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

ps2 8555

Marty

Veteran Member
Hi All;
I have a PS2 8555 that I would like to get rid of to a good home and someone who would appreciate it.. When I power it up it shows Error code 161 and 163.. And I am not interested in this type of machine.. Please let me know If anyone is interested in it, I Don't want to just throw it away.. I assume its fixable, by someone who knows this type of machine, Or it could be used for parts.. a few years ago it worked, and has been sitting burried since then.. And I need the room..
THANK YOU Marty

Looks like it needs a new battery and the reference diskette to set the options, very fixable.

161 AT systems options not set (run SETUP)
PS/2 - Battery dead or not connected

163 AT time & date not set (run SETUP)
PCC - Real-time clock not updating

Hi All;
RJBJR, Thank You for the Info.. All it shows on the Screen is the Two numbers and a Not OK sign.. No Bios Set up not anything.. So What Do I do or Press to bring up SETUP.. I have a copy of AT Diag, will that work ??
THANK YOU Marty

First, open up the computer and replace the clock battery. Hopefully it's a button cell (I don't remember off-hand, but IIRC, most of the PS/2 Models used either that or a socketed Dallas chip). Once that's done, go grab the reference disk, write it out to floppy (in a pure DOS environment - though I've successfully used DOSBox to write out these reference diskss on my XP machine as well) and boot from it. Once you've booted from the Reference Disk and ran through the configuration, you should be good to go.

Unless the floppy drive is bad and needs repair (hopefully not)

Ahh... well. More fun for him then :) OP, you can either spend a couple of dollars replacing the Dallas clock battery, or you can spend a few minutes working on the Dallas clock->Button Cell mod (use google to search VCF for instructions and pictures)

Always fun! - though if your goal is to just get rid of it, I'd just let the new owner do all of this :)

Okay, here's the skinny on the DS1287
Dallas, currently owned by Maxim, no longer makes the DS1287. So parts bought are not from current production, but have been sitting on the shelf, so, since they contain a battery...
The replacement DS12887 is currently (back?,still?) in production.
I ordered a couple, and will see if they indeed work as advertised.
patscc

Jharre, when you get it, have fun with the DS1287 rework.

Well, unfortunately, it's not going to me. :(

But, I've successfully done the DS1287 mod with a Dremel tool before. Probably didn't have as much fun as you did with the Compaq, judging from the thread, but we both ended up with working machines (mine was a PS/2) - and that's the important part!!

<*> Jim

Back