• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Value of Byte magazine, Volume 1, issues 1-16

nightowl4042

I have tried to locate information regarding the value of old Byte magazines at other locations on the Internet, but without success. Please forgive me if this is an inappropriate place to pose the following question; if one knows of another source for the information, identification of the source would be greatly appreciated.

I own Byte Volume 1, issues 1-16 (September 1975 through December 1976); these issues are still in the original brown mail wrappers. Does anyone have an estimate as to the value of these issues?

I have one data point, namely, in April of 2010 these issues were offered (apparently without the original wrappers) for $2099 US on ebay. I do not know if the issues ever sold. I plan on selling these issues, and am considering posting them on ebay as well, but I need a reasonable estimate as to the “starting bid” or the “buy it now” price.

Any number would be a wild guess, put the minimum you are comfortable letting them go for as your miniumum bid and see if they sell.

I have tried to locate information regarding the value of old Byte magazines at other locations on the Internet, but without success. . . .

I don't follow the Atari forum myself, but I couldn't help but notice a lot of talk about Byte Magazine over there. Check them out here. Somebody there might have some idea.

I have one data point, namely, in April of 2010 these issues were offered (apparently without the original wrappers) for $2099 US on ebay. I do not know if the issues ever sold.

It is indeed possible that they never sold. Even if they did, it is also possible that there are not two people in the world who would pay that much. It is common for eBay prices to be 100, even over 1000 times the going price. I don't think those things sell - suckers or not. I've seen items that are worth $100-$400 sell for $4000, then another for $2000, then another for $1000, and then it is back to the "real" price as the pool of reckless payers dwindles.

Anyway, you have a very nice item there. Good luck!

Byte Vol 1 #1 is usually worth about $100 in VG+ condition. Add in the other 15 issues in Vol 1 and the whole package might be worth $200-$250, eBay prices.

A $2K price would, IMO, be absurd. That doesn't mean that there isn't a sucker out there willing to pay it (I'd love to meet him/her as I have several of these sets) but it's a very inflated price, from my experience.

Byte Vol 1 #1 is usually worth about $100 in VG+ condition. Add in the other 15 issues in Vol 1 and the whole package might be worth $200-$250, eBay prices...

I agree with your assessment. I also have Volume #1, Issues 1-16, in the BYTE binder box that they sold during their second year. I have estimated in the past that the set should sell for $300 to $350, but you have to have someone out there who is actually interested in buying it, of course.

My advice is to set the opening bid at the bottom-most price you are willing to part with them for, or else set a reserve price.

smp

Back