• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

For Sale: Texas Instruments Silent 700 data terminal

ilyaz

Experienced Member
I was given an at least partially functional Texas Instruments Silent 700 data terminal with acoustic couplers. It turns on but I don't know how to test its functionality beyond that.

I would like to sell it. Not yet sure how much I would want for it. I am in Maryland near DC and prefer a local buyer, but I am also willing to ship it to a regular address within CONUS (so no Alaska, Hawaii, foreign locations or PO Boxes). I have experience shipping fragile vintage computers and electronics so will pack it thoroughly.

Let me know if you are interested. I can provide additional details, photos, etc.

Thanks

P.S. I am not in a crazy rush to sell it but do need to reclaim some space in my basement in some not-so-distant future. So if no takers, I might be forced to scrap the unit.

Just out of curiosity do you know the specific model number? Pictures will always help so folks know what's with it. I have one but don't have the power supply or a modem for it :)

Just out of curiosity do you know the specific model number? Pictures will always help so folks know what's with it. I have one but don't have the power supply or a modem for it :)

Here are some photos. There's a plate on the back with a part number, but no model number. Can you recognize from the photos what model that is?

IMG_5374.jpgIMG_5364.jpgIMG_5365.jpgIMG_5366.jpgIMG_5363.jpg

Last edited:
Some more photos

Attachments

• IMG_5372.jpg
    IMG_5372.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5376.jpg
    IMG_5376.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5377.jpg
    IMG_5377.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5379.jpg
    IMG_5379.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5380.jpg
    IMG_5380.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1
From the serial it's a model 725.
435px-Silent700_725ad.jpg

I own a TI 703 (no modem) from 1983 and looks like a personal computer of the time.
Your is from 1973 and has the look of the cars and machines of the 60's. Very nice!

By the way, which is the latest TI Silent model ever sold?

Here's the latest update:
1. The machine is less functional than originally thought: in the LOCAL mode, the carriage works when you type, but nothing actually gets printed. So there might be something wrong with the printhead.
2. I've tried to sell the unit on ebay. So far no luck. The price might be too high, so I will probably lower it somewhat if there are no takers after the current round of auto relists. Can't sell it for peanuts, though, since just shipping this beast would be quite expensive...

"Silent 700"

"Silent 700"

I was given an at least partially functional Texas Instruments Silent 700 data terminal with acoustic couplers. It turns on but I don't know how to test its functionality beyond that.

I would like to sell it. Not yet sure how much I would want for it. I am in Maryland near DC and prefer a local buyer, but I am also willing to ship it to a regular address within CONUS (so no Alaska, Hawaii, foreign locations or PO Boxes). I have experience shipping fragile vintage computers and electronics so will pack it thoroughly.

Let me know if you are interested. I can provide additional details, photos, etc.

Thanks

P.S. I am not in a crazy rush to sell it but do need to reclaim some space in my basement in some not-so-distant future. So if no takers, I might be forced to scrap the unit.

Ilyaz: I just stumbled across this site while searching for info about on the TI terminal I used back in 1974-76, when working for the Federal Energy Administration. Do you still have the Data Terminal? If so, please let me know if you are still trying to free-up some basement space.

Back