• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Seen: PAS16

are these particularly desirable? there's been a guy locally here that's been trying to sell one for awhile for $12 but I've always PASsed

PAS16 cards were never that common (compared to a soundblaster), but also don't command much money either. If you want a card that is expensive and hard to find that would be a Gravis Ultrasound.

I guess it would make a nice ISA card if your using it as a midi card to since I'm guessing it doesn't suffer the hanging midi bug

That's really not the model I'd be excited to see -- if it was the Soundman WAVE, then I'd say it's worth something as one of the few true OPL4 cards around. (which honestly I always loved the sound of the OPL4 wavetable, even if it was a little grainy due to crappy bit-depth.).

Kind of like how I'm all psyched right now to finally have a Prometheus Aria 16 again -- though I'd love to get my hands on the one with more RAM and SCSI.

PAS16 cards are common enough. PAS and PAS Plus are, on the opposite, very rare.

ARIA cards are rare either. Last year I saw only three on ebay, and all three were Prometheus ARIA16 variants.

Last edited:
are these particularly desirable? there's been a guy locally here that's been trying to sell one for awhile for $12 but I've always PASsed

I like the PAS line because they work in 8-bit ISA slots (even 16-bit audio IIRC) and they also revector the system BEEP out through the card, which is great for systems with a very quiet piezo speaker.

I like the PAS line because they work in 8-bit ISA slots (even 16-bit audio IIRC) and they also revector the system BEEP out through the card, which is great for systems with a very quiet piezo speaker.

I loved my PAS card back in the day. Good software for it too.

Work in 8-bit ISA slots (even 16-bit audio IIRC) and they also revector the system BEEP out through the card, which is great for systems with a very quiet piezo speaker.

This is why I just bid on it. I need a decent sound card for my XT.

Huh. I guess I won't be setting up an eBay account just to get rid of my old PAS16-SCSI. They'd have to be worth at *least* a quarter to make it worth the trouble. :p

I always thought the PAS16 was sort of annoying thanks to the sheer number of IRQ and DMA channels it sucked up. (One of each for the native and Soundblaster compatibility parts.) Granted it in my case it was extra annoying because the 486 it lived in tended to crash if you used DMA 5-7 for anything, supposedly a bug of some sort in the OPTi chipset. Long after I retired the PAS 16 I kept using the little slot-cover dingus it came with that had a internal-50-to-external-25-pin (Mac-style) SCSI adapter and a set of RCA jacks on it in other computers. (The RCA jacks were really handy to connect to whatever otherwise unused internal input or output audio jacks you'd ineveitably have, and the SCSI adapter was handy for various nefarious purposes back when Mac-targeted cables and external drive boxes were common; last I used it it was wired to the internal 50 pin connector on an Adaptec 2940UW.) Probably still have that too.

Long after I retired the PAS 16 I kept using the little slot-cover dingus it came with that had a internal-50-to-external-25-pin (Mac-style) SCSI adapter and a set of RCA jacks on it in other computers. (The RCA jacks were really handy to connect to whatever otherwise unused internal input or output audio jacks you'd ineveitably have, and the SCSI adapter was handy for various nefarious purposes back when Mac-targeted cables and external drive boxes were common; last I used it it was wired to the internal 50 pin connector on an Adaptec 2940UW.) Probably still have that too.

I would buy that adapter from you if you still have it.

I have a brand new untested AWE64 Gold S/PDIF bracket. If I get no response from Eudimorphodon, we might have a deal then.

Ack, sorry for not replying to the request before now. (Life's doing that life thing.)

I'm not 100% sure where that bracket is (I *think* it's in that BP6 mutant box that's still kicking around the garage... somewhere) so should probably go with the bird in the hand.

(The other factor in play is I may actually still have a use for it, as I ended up acquiring a Mac Plus a few months ago and since it works with Mac pinout SCSI cables the widget might still be useful for data transfer. I would probably be willing to swap it along with the PAS16 itself for a working USB or Firewire -> SCSI adapter but I suspect that would be something of a stretch.)

Do Soundblaster AWEs actually still have any value? Unless I tossed them both I should have one of the (huge) ISA AWE32 PnPs in the same box as the PAS16. :p

The awe32s with the Wavetable header and opl fm chip are still kinda sought after. I wouldn't mind one myself. The other ones still seem to command moderate prices.

Depends on AWE32 model, CT3900 and CT3980 are of higher demand, CT2760 is of lower, CT3990 is I believe of lowest. But some $10-15 in the worst case I think. If SIMM memory is present on card, it would somewhat raise its value, especially if that's 2x4 or 2x16 Mb SIMMs.

Wow, I'd forgotten Creative's weird obsession with having a million different models of the "same name" product. (The AWE32 is possibly even worse than the Soundblaster Live!, which I wasn't even sure was possible.)

Ahwell. After doing some googling on the various guises of the AWE and comparing the pictures to what I remember the card looking like I guess mine's probably one of least valuable, at least amonst the "fully featured" varients. (There seems to be about as much love for ISA PnP now as there was back then.) It does have SIMMs in it, but only a pair of 1MB.

(Now I'm wondering if I held onto the even older Soundblaster 16s. I'll have to take inventory one of these days and have a yard sale.) ;)

Back